Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Slurry Boostin
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a bit of a quick one to find out what spark plugs you people are running?

BP5ES is what I was running while off the bottle.

BP7ES I think, when it was on the bottle.

Is any one out there running those 'Iridium' or 'Platinum' or any other brand plugs which people are telling me are the duck nuts?

Any experiences with fairly worked clevo's? What about on the dyno? Any comparisons from which to which?

Trying to bypass some of the expensive trialing on the dyno by hearing some feedback from some of you guys :)

Thanks In Advance
TTNOS8 :bsr:

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Yeah it 5FS, 6FS and 7FS not ES. The 7FS work best for me though they foul abit around city driving. Generally 5FS are for stocker's, 6FS suit most Clevo's and the 7FS for a hotty.

I looked into platinium plugs but couldn't find any to suit the Clevo, maybe the situation has improved. Also played around with plug gaps heaps and found no real advantage there either.

Hear Accel make a good Clevo plug but I haven't tried them.

·
Whats traction?
2,197 Posts
I've just put a set of iridiums into my I6 and i'm very impressed!

It used to have a slight miss when applying light throttle then it would pickup and accellerate. I changed the plugs twice, had it dyno tuned by one of the best holley blokes ive ever seen (even rebuilt half the carb for free just trying to fix it!) but nothing worked.

The iridiums i picked up cheap so i thought what the hell, chucked 'em in and the miss is gone!!!

Whoo hoo, i'm buying a set for the 351 as soon as I can, and yes, they do make them for clevos now but i'm not sure on what heat ranges are available.

·
Slurry Boostin
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Shite, typo. Yeah I meant FS.

Well just bought some 'Iridium' UR6IX plugs for the 351 so will let you's know of the differences if any.

Hopefully there will be some improvments.

So to answer the question from before, yes they are available, and they cost me nearly $100 inc GST from Bursons.

·
V8 GT pilot
592 Posts
Hi Guys,

Finally found my way back on again.
Got broadband now.................very quick , just like the Clevo.

Mate, I purchased these USA hand made plugs about 4 years ago. They are made by Torque Master , are gapless and last forever.

I can't say enough about them , they are brilliant , literally. Very expensive initial outlay , but you never have to replace them. Just pull em out every 10,000 K's , give em a quick clean and check to see how your motor's running and whack em back in.

They work really well with my Hi6 CD Ignition system and the car runs much smoother than it ever did with the NGK V grooves.

You can check em out at www.torquemaster.com
They worked for me.

Cheers

·
ESP Man
888 Posts
ESP,
Can you buy em here or are they an import job?

·
V8 GT pilot
592 Posts
I purchased these direct from the USA from Torquemaster.
One of the wisest purchases I've made.

These are good , I know cos I'm a fussy b*****d.
@22 - 25 AUD each they're not cheap but they do the job.

They work extremely well with a High Output Ignition system like an MSD or Crane CD unit.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
I'm using 7 Splitfires and 1 NGK!! (cracked the freakin ceramic section)......they have a V shaped "split" side electrode - supposed to make a bigger flame compared to standard shaped electrodes.

I'm using them with an MDS Digital 6 plus and Blaster 2 coil. They work great.

For those people interested in Platinums.....Splitfire make them for the Clevo.

Part numbers (all run a 0.035 gap):
Standard 2bbl - SF2E / 4bbl - SF2D (US$3.99ea)
Platinum 2bbl - TP2E / 4bbl - TP2D (US$5.99ea)

Here's the link if you want to check them out.
http://www.splitfire.com/splitfire.htm

Not too sure what crappy price you'd get ripped off here in Oz.

Cheers

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'm not keen on the split fires, reason: well electricity will always take the easiest route to ground so each time the plug fires the spark will go only 1 side of the split it will not go to both sides. Also the split tip of the electrode is a nice small sticking out piece of metal that will get hoter way quicker than a std spark plug and if you are really lucky it will get hot enough to cause detonation.
F1 uses NGK's why? Because they are the best.
This is just my opinion :)

·
Whats traction?
2,197 Posts
Nismo_Capri said:
I'm not keen on the split fires, reason: well electricity will always take the easiest route to ground so each time the plug fires the spark will go only 1 side of the split it will not go to both sides. Also the split tip of the electrode is a nice small sticking out piece of metal that will get hoter way quicker than a std spark plug and if you are really lucky it will get hot enough to cause detonation.
The theory behind the spitfires is by giving the spark 2 different paths to earth the spark can choose one or the other depending on local conditions. If one is dirtier, hotter, etc then the other path is available unlike a standard plug where if the path is of high resistance then its just too bad.

How well they work in practice i'm not sure, but the NGK iridium plugs have impressed me in the 6 and i'm looking forward to installing a set in the V8.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I can see that point but how electriclly different do you think a split in the tip will make them?
Me, I'd say not much I think that have multiple electodes like bosch and NGK do would make more sense.
Cheers

·
Slurry Boostin
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nismo_Capri said:
That's what I ended up running. NGK Iridiums.

They are not split fire either. They are a single iridium electrode.

Less matter = easier cooling = less chance of detonation.

Especially with n2o and colder plugs.

·
Whats traction?
2,197 Posts
Nismo_Capri said:
I can see that point but how electriclly different do you think a split in the tip will make them?
I agree totally, hence why I don't own a set.

·
351 XE on LPG
743 Posts
Which Iridium plugs would you guys recommend for straight gas? Everyone says to go one level colder, does this still apply to Iridiums?

·
Proudly Average
1,305 Posts
Do they make anything hotter than BP5FS? Mine's still fouling plugs...

·
Slurry Boostin
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
GreenMachine said:
Then you've got problems other than your plugs.

Fouling how? Oil burn or Fuel?

·
74 XB Fairmont
5,113 Posts
GreenMachine said:
My guess is you've either got dud plugs or mixtures are too rich. A dyno tune wouldn't hurt as it tests where you are at.

Brenden

1 - 20 of 43 Posts