Ford Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings!

I could use some help from anyone who may have experienced the problem I am having with my new-to-me '97 Merc Grand Marquis.

I've only had the car for about a month. Horn and cruise worked for about a week and both stopped working at the same time. My first thought was the clockspring - but I'm not getting the Air Bag light that commonly appears when the CS goes bad. Can the clockspring cause the horn and cruise to stop working but not show a problem with the air bag?

I've looked at the fuses and they appear okay. I don't mind swapping the CS if that's the culprit but since I haven't had a failure of all three devices in the steering wheel I wanted to ask for another opinion.

Thanks for any help or advice.

BTW, this is my first car in 30 years. I've always driven trucks, but I have to admit that I am really enjoying this old car. 22MPG, floats like a cloud, 114K miles, runs perfect - except for a 3-4 second stumble at cold start up, clean and appears well maintained. No wonder this platform was so popular. These are great cars!

·
Super Moderator
792 Posts
Does the airbag light work when the key is cycled?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
792 Posts
How do you know its not throwing airbag codes, are you using a code reader or watching for the airbag light to flash?

Another thing you could try is adjusting the wheel up and down in various positions to see if that has any effect. It could be pinched/frayed wires.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How do you know its not throwing airbag codes, are you using a code reader or watching for the airbag light to flash?

Another thing you could try is adjusting the wheel up and down in various positions to see if that has any effect. It could be pinched/frayed wires.

This is a learning process for me and I'm not sure it didn't throw a code. I only know the AB light come on when I start the car and then goes off after maybe 5 seconds. I figured if a wire was broke the bag light would turn the light on until fixed.

I can see in Autozone can find one if you think that will help. The car seems perfect except for the cold start shudder and shake. That also clears up after 5 seconds or so.

·
Super Moderator
792 Posts
The reason I ask about the code reader is that airbag codes cant be read by a code reader. They flash codes after the car starts. For example, code 22 would display as; start the car, airbag light stays on for 5 seconds, turns off, then flashes twice, short pause then flashes twice more, then a longer pause and more codes are displayed or the same code repeats if there are no more airbag codes. Its like reading obd1 codes.

Have you tried adjusting the wheel to see if that had any effect?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The reason I ask about the code reader is that airbag codes cant be read by a code reader. They flash codes after the car starts. For example, code 22 would display as; start the car, airbag light stays on for 5 seconds, turns off, then flashes twice, short pause then flashes twice more, then a longer pause and more codes are displayed or the same code repeats if there are no more airbag codes. Its like reading obd1 codes.

Have you tried adjusting the wheel to see if that had any effect?

Tried it tonight. Up, down, turned the wheel while pushing the horn and cruise but no joy. Didn't even get a peep. I'll pull the fuses again and check with a continuity tester.

I appreciate the helpful tips!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay. The horn is shorted.

I bought the car used about 6 weeks ago and did not get a manual with it so I Googled the fuse diagram. Found one that listed the location of one fuse under the dash that fed the cruise control but it tested okay. Searched further and found a diagram of the fuse block under the hood but no mention of a cruise fuse. Started checking the anyway and the horn fuse was blown. That explained the horn problem but what about the cruise?

Replaced the 15A fuse and hit the horn and it grunted once and blew the new fuse again. Disconnected the horn, replaced the fuse (10A was all I had left), hit the horn again and heard the relay click but the fuse did not blow. This told me the electrical was okay so the horn must be bad. I went for a drive and now the cruise is working again.

I found nothing in the diagram indicating that the horn fuse under the hood would also feed the CC but apparently it does, so to summarize, my cruise stopped working because my horn shorted and blew the fuse which is why I lost both at the same time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
3 Participants
Bajarider
Ford Forums
Ford Forum is a community to discuss all things Ford. Check out our discussions on the Ford Escape, Mustang, Edge, F-150, Raptor, Explorer, Focus, Fusion, Fiesta and more!
Full Forum Listing