Ford Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Bronco Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be a silly question but i'm having a hell of a time trying to get the damn idler pulley off. the tensioner pulley is clockwise to remove it the bolt... the idler pulley has this stupid odd sized torx bolt that is going to be easy to strip out. i tried both ways and it doesn't seem to be moving at all. Anyone know of how to get this damn thing off my truck.

·
Bronco Member
10 Posts
Most of the time the screw is going to come out oposite the way the pulley turns. If you get it out without killing it. put a little anti-sieze compund on the threads befor you reinsall it this way it will come right out the next time you have to **** with it.

·
Bronco Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah i planned on doing that after i got it off, cept i doubt that its gonna happen before i strip out the bolt. i might just see if i can find the entire assembly its attached too and find someplace that has it. why's a simple job gotta be so damn difficult

·
Bronco Member
8 Posts
When I come across bolts being stubborn that I don't want to string, I try grabbing the head with vice grips if enough is reachable. They'll lock on and you can control how hard.

·
0 Posts
piranicon...I wonder if it is a 12 sided hex bolt as oposed to a torx....if it is...a standard 12 point socket of the right size should fit it pretty snug.

good luck

·
Bronco Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for all the tips, its a disc shaped bolt recessed into the pulley. for the life of me i couldn't see why they'd use a bolt that had to be removed by a torx bit 47... thats not even a common size. i'm thinkin the previous owner or shop they took it too scrounged around for a reverse threaded bolt and found one which happen to be torx. from what i've heard from some other people that own broncos is that the bolt should have been a standard hex bolt. the bolts already kinda stripped out along the outter edges. theres no way i'm gonna be able to remove it... oh well that's a project in the works i guess, i got bigger fish to fry. just found out while doing some under the truck work that one of my bushings for the radial arm is going bad. its causing the bushing washer/cap to rub against the metal causing my truck to squeak over the slightest bumps... blah

1 - 6 of 6 Posts