Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Resident Genius
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would you guys be interested in starting up a little project and building a club drag/road race car?

I'm thinking a 93 GT with no options and then gutted. The cheapest way to get it to go fast is direct port NOS - BUT this is an area of open discussion.

I can locate an engine/tranny, but would need help finding a decent body...

Any thoughts?

S

·
0 Posts
I'm Game;) I willing through my knowledge (WHAT'S LEFT OF IT) and Some $$

·
Resident Genius
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It seems like we got Jon's interest as well.

Hopefully we can all have a good talk about how this will go down. Drag racing is initially cheaper than road racing, but can get pricey when you go lower than mid- 12s. But then again, I ran a 13.3 with my car after only investing about $700 in the darn thing (the clutch was the most expensive thing at $570).

Even so, we can toss ideas in this thread, and start brainstorming on what we'd like to do, what goals we should achieve, etc...

·
Registered
7,859 Posts
If you all are able to, have people in your club set up car washes, if your not in a drought. Use that money for parts and activities.

·
Big Daddy
357 Posts
Well i'm up for it.. I can use my talents. and knolege to help in anyway.. and any funding i can spare. :D:D

·
Resident Genius
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No word yet on the motor/tranny.

Any of you guys good at bodywork? I might just buy a smashed up PGT from IAA (Insurance Auto Auctions) and try to make that work (nothing with serious frame damage of course) - unless we go with full tube chasis :D:D:D

·
Resident Genius
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I may focus on a first gen pGT - turbos are much easier to tune and make go fast...

S

·
0 Posts
:licking my chops: MMMMM...... can't wait, there's a few in town that need alot of work, maybe I'll see how they'll let them go for;)

·
Resident Genius
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Heck yeah, Scamper....tear that puppy down to the seams, make her all pretty inside, then put it back together with a monster turbine and BOOM - 11.78 @ 118 mph :D:D:D

BTW - do they make limited splip diffs (like QUAIFE) for the first gen?

·
Big Daddy
357 Posts
Dan [Sac] said:
No word yet on the motor/tranny.

Any of you guys good at bodywork? I might just buy a smashed up PGT from IAA (Insurance Auto Auctions) and try to make that work (nothing with serious frame damage of course) - unless we go with full tube chasis :D:D:D

I'm not to bad with body work :D:D:D.. any help i can give.. i'm there.

·
Resident Genius
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Tony - you want to help me prep my 93 for a paintjob? I can come up there to your place for an afternoon or so - I'll buy the beer and stuff...

I'll have a couple of minor dings to finish, and sand the thing for a paint job. I figured if I can save some money on the prep work I can spend more on better paint.

Oh, and since no one is reading this forum anyway (and it will still be a secret), I have the super probe fiberglass vented hood on right now and a sinsei bumper on the way - I'll ask Jeremy for help in prepping the fiberglass pieces though. The car should be pretty again soon...

·
Big Daddy
357 Posts
yeah not a problem.. actually i'm going to come up to sac saturday morning. i can come by your house either saturday or sunday..

·
Resident Genius
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok - sounds like a plan (How did this end up in the club race car thread? :D)

I'll email ya :thumbup:

·
Big Daddy
357 Posts
*LOL* i have no idea..

·
Big Daddy
357 Posts
dan,

I'm not going to be able to make it up to sac this weekend for monatary reasons.. but i'll be up there next weekend for sure. we can get 90% of your car done on sat and sunday.. let me know..

·
Resident Genius
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey, that's just fine :D

I wouldn't want to drive a couple of weeks with a primered car anyway...heheheh...

Whenever you can do it, that's fine with me. And if you need some assistance getting here (gas money, hehehe), I'll definitely pitch in, since you're doing all this work.

:thumbup:

·
Big Daddy
357 Posts
not a problem. next week works perfectly.. you've been scheduled :D:D.. i can't believe i had to create a excel spread**** to keep track of this stuff :D:D

·
Resident Genius
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
We might be closing in on a 1st gen pretty quickly here....can anyone say FE3?

S

·
0 Posts
I visited my friend, hes checking on the paperwork, The car has been sitting for a year so we might have some rust to scrape off on the undercarriage. Everything is looking great. Only question that remains is hiw are we going to get out of there and where are we taking it to?

·
Resident Genius
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well, we can talk about it at the Dyno day.

Some of the responses I am getting regarding swaps is that it's a lot of work and we might as well get a GT to start with - but that would be too easy, wouldn't it? hehehehe...

I have the space in Sac, but if you have the space there, I guess it could go there...or we could flip a coin...or we could move it every other week :D

1 - 20 of 29 Posts