Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay - here's the deal on the Ford V8 Clutches.

The kit I described consists of all new parts. The pressure plate is available in two spring ratings depending on torque loads. The heavier one is mandatory on the 200+ engines.

The kit uses a ceramic button type friction plate that had a sprung centre. The friction buttons are larger than a traditional button clutch, in fact they are about equivalent to four or six small brake pads (if you get my drift :confused: ) rather than the standard continuous friction material. Having the sprung centre meaans as far as the driver is concerned the clutch is only slightly heavier on the pedal, a little grabby (can still be slipped), but does not shudder or pig-root down the road. I have used these kits before and found them to be a good compromise on performance vs driveability vs reliability.

The kits are now manufactured by Daikin with the AU2 220kW compatible clutch available from this Friday.

The whole kit costs around $625 from Premier Clutch and Brake Service Alexandria Sydney 96670242. Talk to Brian.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
That doesn't sound to bad. One question though. The 220 kw kit differs from the other kits how?

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
What kind of power rating are they limited to?

·
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The 220kW kit is a different part number (apparently). I don't know what the diffs are, however it could be the spring ratings in the pressure plate.

As for power ratings of these clutches, my VL Turbo ran very much in excess of 300kW doing circuit racing and it held up fine. The only problem I had at first was the bolts holding the clutch to the flywheel sheared so I had to buy rolled thread aerospace bolts. So I'd say they are more than okay.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
I have no idea about clutches, but could you put one of those on a standard EB 165Kw V8 before I start increasing the HP, or would I have to wait until I have 220Kw+ or whatever?

·
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Martin said:
I have no idea about clutches, but could you put one of those on a standard EB 165Kw V8 before I start increasing the HP, or would I have to wait until I have 220Kw+ or whatever?
There would be no issues with putting the heavier clutch in now as far as operation and capabilities. It's just that the pedal effort would be higher than required. So, it would be an investment for the future.

·
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
HSE2 said:
So how much power can this clutch withstand. Do they have a maximum rating?
Now you're asking a lot. I'd say the answer is 220kW, but we know better. Do you want me to ask Daikin?

·
gone
10,402 Posts
AHHHHHHHHHHHH CLUTCHHHESSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:nuts: :nuts: :nuts: :nuts: :nuts: :nuts: :nuts: :nuts: :nuts: :nuts: :nuts: :nuts: :nuts: :nuts: :nuts: :nuts: :nuts: :nuts: :nuts: :nuts: :nuts: :nuts:

·
Bring Back the 24hr!!!
5,809 Posts
Ok guys to stop a repeat of the above insanity attack by Laminge a clutch will now be reffered to as the weakest link ;)

·
gone
10,402 Posts
Ahhhhh

Thats better, that Valium issa starten tooooo tak efffffecttttttt
:sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping:

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Aussie Pete said:

Now you're asking a lot. I'd say the answer is 220kW, but we know better. Do you want me to ask Daikin?
Don't go out of your way but should the occasion present itself I would be interested to know!

·
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay here's the deal. Apparently the std clutch is around 890kg clamp load. The Daiking ceramic is 1200kg. Combine that with improved material and you're looking at 50% improvement + or - fudge factor. So, 220kW + 50% = 330 (it's not that simple but that gives an indication).

·
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
HSE2 said:
Thanks for that Pete. If one were to mod the motor that sounds like it would be the way to go!
I think I might keep my standard clutch for the first cycle and see how it goes. Then I'm definitely doing one of these. I won't try to do warranty like some little (big?) devils lurking on these pages....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Aussie Pete said:

I think I might keep my standard clutch for the first cycle and see how it goes. Then I'm definitely doing one of these. I won't try to do warranty like some little (big?) devils lurking on these pages....:rolleyes:
We have decided against Herrod mods then?

·
gone
10,402 Posts
Aussie Pete said:

Thank good I still got a pack of 12 Valiums left otherwise I might freaks out again

Ummmmmmmmmmm, Ummmmmmmmmmmm:nuts:

·
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
HSE2 said:
We have decided against Herrod mods then?
I'm not saying anything. I will tell all when I get my car. The reason is I haven't decided for sure what is going to happen.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
About this Discussion
23 Replies
9 Participants
Mr Sparkle
Ford Forums
Ford Forum is a community to discuss all things Ford. Check out our discussions on the Ford Escape, Mustang, Edge, F-150, Raptor, Explorer, Focus, Fusion, Fiesta and more!
Full Forum Listing