Ford Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Vintage F-100 Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During the instalation of the newly rebuilt 300-6 into my '65 F-100 I also installed a new Borg Warner 11" clutch assembly. It also was balance at the peformance shop where the engine was rebuilt.
I followed all of the proper torque settings and proceedures but, still have significant chatter while releasing the clutch in low gear.
Does anyone have any ideas on how to correct this situation or what I could have done wrong.

·
F-150 Member
141 Posts
Did you surface the flywheel??

Did you install the locator pins between the bellhousing and block??

Is the Fork bent??

These are a couple of common chatter problems

·
Vintage F-100 Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Dave,
The flywheel was resurfaced, the locator pins were installed. The fork did not apear to be bent. I never considered the fork being bent. But, the way it is formed, it would seem to be hard to bend it but I guess anything is possible.

M

·
0 Posts
You didn't happen to get any grease or oil on the clutch disc did you? That will make it chatter.

Mike

·
Vintage F-100 Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mike,
I don't think there was any grease present to get onto the clutch plate. I was carefull to keep everything clean during the clutch assembly process. I have installed clutches a number of times but, have never had the chatter problem like this one.
Thanks for the input!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts