Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
My Neck Hurts....
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found at:
http://www.rgonetwork.com/screenshots/tocaracedriver_ps2.shtml

Codemasters have announced the latest addition to there Toca series, here is the official press release and some screenshots.

Codemasters is promising the most immersive racing experience ever by enveloping gamers in the heart of a global racing championship with the announcement of TOCA Race Driver*.

The TOCA series is one of the games industry's most successful entertainment brands. The advent of TOCA Race Driver marks a true convergence of racing gaming and cinematic experience as the title becomes the first licence based racer to introduce a character and plot-driven narrative with both on and off-circuit developments.

Due in 2002 for PlayStation 2, PC CD-ROM and other next-generation platforms, TOCA Race Driver is the evolution of Codemasters' critically acclaimed TOCA Touring Car series, which has shipped over 3.5 million copies.

Says Gavin Raeburn, Codemasters' Studio Head and Producer of the TOCA series: "It's no longer sufficient or exciting to deliver a new edition of a best-selling franchise that just recreates previous editions on a new format. "We have got to move on from the expectation that a sequel can be justified by simply adding more cars and tracks. With TOCA Race Driver we want to move the whole racing genre forward by delivering a very personal experience that the gamer can passionately connect with."

Retaining the series' core values of close-contact racing with real cars, real teams, real track, real drivers and an astounding damage engine, TOCA Race Driver introduces a character-based narrative and episodic storyline. The game blends real world global championships with a fictional cast; the player takes the central role of aspiring driver Ryan McKane.

The heart of the game sees the player advancing Ryan's career from a test driver to a potential world champion. Ryan's races form part of the evolving narrative which involve his racing colleagues and his fiercely competitive family who have a rich heritage in motor racing.

From the outset, TOCA Race Driver will draw the player in by doing away with standard game furniture such as front ends, option screens and the standard game-opening periphery.

The meat of the TOCA Race Driver experience is the sublime racing action, provided by an all new physics and AI system that takes full advantage of the power of the next generation platforms. Complete with its unique FEM (Finite Element Modelling) damage system (see Notes), the high impact collisions form an exciting part of the whole experience.

Building on the international aspect of the game, so well received in TOCA World Touring Cars, Codemasters will also be featuring some of the world's flagship Racing Car Championships in the game. Adding to the British Touring Car Championship licence, rights have also been secured to additional overseas series including Germany's DTM Championship and Australia's AVESCO V8 Supercar Shell Championship Series.

The additional licenses will be utilised for headline titling in specific territories. In Australia and New Zealand, the game will be launched as V8 Supercar Race Driver, in Germany it will be titled DTM Race Driver and in the USA, the game will be marketed as Pro Race Driver. The TOCA Race Driver brand will be used in the UK and all other remaining territories.

Says Michael Hayes, Codemasters' Marketing Director: "The character element to the game is a real way for the player to connect with the racing experience. It doesn't take over the game, it enhances the atmosphere, building tension and settings for each race. "While the racing game category is hugely competitive, Codemasters' reputation as one of the world's leading driving game developers ensures that TOCA Race Driver will be one of the most anticipated and successful multi-format racing titles of next year."

TOCA Race Driver is currently in development at Codemasters with a team of 45 working on it. The title will launch on PlayStation 2, PC and other platforms in 2002.

* Important - Game branding in International territories:

UK / remaining RoW - TOCA Race Driver
Germany - DTM Race Driver
Australia / New Zealand - V8 Supercar Race Driver
USA - Pro Race Driver
FEM (Finite Element Modelling) Damage System
The FEM damage model simulates the deformation of cars structure over the duration of an impact, calculating how both the internal structure and outer bodywork of the cars twist and break. This physics based approach gives unparalleled realism with different impact results every time depending on the exact conditions of the crash.

·
EA Wagon Member
469 Posts
schweeeeet !!!! i'll be buying that

it aint as good as having an all v8supercar game but i guess this also lets us use the other cars ay

just wondering which aussie cars will be in it?

·
Read Only
1,395 Posts
Should be pretty good I reckon.:D
If it can improve in the dynamics and gameplay from Toca World Touring Cars, and make the lap times and car stats more spot on, it should be excellent. Being on the PS2 it should be heaps better looking also.
Better have Bathurst!:rolleyes:
Russell.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
There was a very good article in one of those Pc mags about codemasters. One of the team was out here gathering info for an upcoming project. Wasn't too flatering about PS2 and really praised the Xbox. Also suggested that with the trouble they are experiencing with developing for PS2 don't be surprised to see the titles on Xbox first.

·
EA Wagon Member
469 Posts
that can be said for just about every game

apparently teh machine is a dog to work with but then again they coudl just be having a whinge for no reason lol

i will be buying it

btw has anyoen got nascar racing 4? i have just bought it but haven't had the time to play it yet

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Not Coddies style to dish with out a reason. They have had to deicate a whole team to try and get the effects out of the PS2 that the xbox does very easily.

·
My Neck Hurts....
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Codemasters do seem to be with-it with the technology trend.

I remember that Toca1 was a Glide Only game - that is, it was written to run only on 3dfx cards. This was at a time when 3dfx were the ONLY 3d card on the market.

Colin McRae Rally was out next, and by then they had swapped to Direct3D already, but it still had Glide I believe. CMR and Toac2 used a pretty similar engine back then.

But by Toca2, I'm pretty sure they dropped Glide altogether, or they said that the code was optimised for D3D and you use Glide at your own peril.

If they're doing the same thing with PS2 and XBox, it's easy to see where the industry will be going in general.

When you consider that you use almost the same tools to develop a PC Game as an XBox game you see the strength in that discussion. After all, an X-Box is just a GeForce 3 Powered PC with no mouse or keyboard and a TV Out.

Lukeyson

·
Future XR Owner
2,245 Posts
I've said it before and I'll continue to say it...The XBOX will flood the market in no time. Its a much better console than the PS2, and thats because its PC based. It will be easier to program for, and it uses all the current directx/openGL technology that is so popular among game developers.

If I wanted a console, I would get an XBOX, its specs **** all over the rest, and given time we will see its potential.

People interested in PC games...head over to www.gamespot.com ....goto the PC Games section (along the top of the page) and checkout the media/video section, you can see ingame footage of upcoming PC games such as Medal Of Honour, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Alien VS Predator 2 and Max Payne, they are some mighty impressive games...I can't wait.. :D

....now...where's my GeForce3....

·
Future XR Owner
2,245 Posts
DONUT KING said:

Hehe I ask myself that every day... I could afford one by years end if the internet didn't cost me so much here :(
yeah, I've seen them for less than $1000 now, but I'm still not prepared to pay that much for it, even if I can afford it.

And thing I'm pissed off about is that I haven't been able to use my voodoo5 to its full potential...motion blur..depth perception etc..now that Voodoo are dead, my card is wasted. Its just good for Anti Aliasing really.

·
EA Wagon Member
469 Posts
im not so sure xbox will dominate like you are saing man

there are a LOT of loyal nintendo and now also playsation gamers out there that if can only buy one system are gonna buy teh one that lets them play their marios and their gt3s and metal gear solids and final fantasys and zeldas etc

plus i don't like the idea of xbox and hard drives, the good thing about games only systems is you get a game and it works good straight away some pc games you gotta come home adn get patches and **** which is bloody annoying and this would be crap on xbox

plus ill wait to see the games first, sure they say that all pc games will go there and stuff like that but it might not happen so i would wait a while just to see how it goes b4 i bought one

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Rat Its not like that. My understanding is that PC games won't work on Xbox but the tools are very similar thus making programing and extracting the best out of the hardware easier.
Remember the Saturn. Well that was as good as the playstation but its dual system was too hard for developers to get their heads around. PS2 has a similar problem in that some of the functions for programing are not as easy or user friendly, as Sony had lead developers to believe. Well that is codemasters story anyway. Xbox will be as plug and play as Playstation ever was and it will be the machine to own. I t will have huge support but like you said their will be games that you will need a PS2 for. Want a bet that PS2 won't run the same time as PS1 without an upgrade!

·
EA Wagon Member
469 Posts
umm hse2 i think you have totally misunderstood what i said because i agree with what you have just said and some of the things you have got muddled up from what i said

i am too tired now anyway to explain what i saying maybe tomorrow, maybe it was me not saying what i wanted to properly or something oh well alls good

·
My Neck Hurts....
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Um, RAT, were you saying that an X-Box is not a games-only system? Because it is pretty much just that - a single hardware spec games console. Patches on PC games are there usually to cope with the number of hardware platforms.

Who knows what's going to happen with the consoles, it's a consumer driven market. And from a consumer's perspective we don't care how hard the games are to develop. But if a company decides it's cheaper to leverage existing PC developers for X-Box, then it is to re-train their developers for PS2, then I think you'll see that even if the consumer likes the PS2 more, if it doesn't have the games, it'll have a hard time competing.

Having said that, the PS2 has quite a leg-up when it comes to the number of games, until you count the number of developers currently working on X-Box titles....

The X-Box proposes a pretty compelling option when you consider the line up of already-on-board developers and the fact that Microsoft will be selling the hardware at a loss. The games are where the profit will be made.

Don't be suprised if the X-Box undercuts the PS2 significantly in price. And a GeForce 3 chip will absolutely cream the PS2 graphics engine if both are used at full potential.

Let's just hope that V8 Supercar Race Driver is platform-independent for it's Internet Play. That way all of us PS2, PC and X-Box gamers can play one another. Pity none of those consoles have any Force Feedback steering wheels or upgrade options. (And don't give me none of that dual-shock caphoey!) If the game engine is anything like Toca2, the faster my PC, the better I'll go.

Lukeyson

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
The_RAT said:
umm hse2 i think you have totally misunderstood what i said because i agree with what you have just said and some of the things you have got muddled up from what i said

i am too tired now anyway to explain what i saying maybe tomorrow, maybe it was me not saying what i wanted to properly or something oh well alls good
No I understood exactly what you were saying. Loyalty to a game console will last as long as the games keep coming. Sega are gone because third party developers pulled the pin. Micro soft won't have a problem with third party and their machine is easier to use form a developers point of view. So what you say! comes down to the dollars. Easier to develop = less time = greater profit.
The X box is far more powerfull than PS2. The consumer tends to want to go with the latest and best.
No other console has had the marketing power to go up against Sony until now. Microsoft will spend what is required to beat Sony in this race.
There does seem to be a achillies heel with Xbox while the PS2 seems to have a few. GT3 will be the first game worth of the PS2 capabilities, and this has come along how far after the launch?

·
EA Wagon Member
469 Posts
jeez you guys reply with too much

but anyway here are a few things i got to say

luke

i have read from guys doing teh xbox about if a game ever has a problem since their system is so great and powerful with a hard drive and being able to connect to the internet they will just release patches for download. this is one thing i dont like about the xobx. i aint saying i wont be buying one but that would piss me off cos they could end up just releasing a game before it is ready so they get people to buy it and then make everyone wait a few more weeks for a patch to come out ot make the game worth playing.

also i don't think you are quite so right in saying developers will put their games where it is easiest to make for, dreamcast was easier than ps2 yet it didn't get one single ea sports game because they simply didn't have enough people buy the system so therefore the total number of sales for your game on that system is already down compared to other systems. last i heard ps2 had already sold 12 million units? probably more now as that was a while ago plus by the time xbox is out this number will be even higher and ps2's new lot of games will be coming out. so why would teh developers put their games out on the new unkown xbox where they aren't guaranteed any sales just because its easier to develop for when they can spend a bit more time fixing it up (they don't even have to fix it up if they are crappy companies) and then they can sell it to a much larger group and by just getting teh few brainless people to buy their game they make money.

in short the more systems out there teh more chance you got of flogging ya game off no matter how good it is so the big guys who can work around this get larger sales and the smaller/newer comapnies who don't care about quality get more sales also

and who is to say sony wont announce a price drop just as the xobx is to come out ?

hse2

you say the consumer goes with what is the latest and best yet the n64 was really the latest and best out of it the psx and saturn and that wasn't exactly a great success was it

but nintendo stay in their making money all this time because they have people who are loyal to them, there are people out there who support nintendo or sony now just like we support ford or holden, it will take a big effort from microsoft to get this

ps2 has had half a dozen games worth purchasing but no real big hits yet it is so far the quickest selling system in the history of videogames, and when gt3 and metal gear solid 2 and the next final fantasy games come out they wont be able to produce teh systems quick enough to meet the demand but what does xbox have? that muchs game and some pc titles? a lot of people have a pc as well and buy a games console to get different games not the same ones they can get on their pc

Both of you guys also seem to have forgotten about the nintendo gamecube which should come out shortly before the xbox comes out and they are not gonna want to make the same mistakes twice

also i think you guys gotta think of where these companies are from microsoft - yankeyland and sony, nintendo - jap companies
i am not sure about this but will the yanks try and support their xbox's and the japs their sony's and nintendo's????

thats all i gotta say jeez i shouldn't have commented on you guys typing too much look at da size of this *****!!!

·
Shhh, we're hunting Lions
1,610 Posts
Hey stop crapping on the PS2:D I've got one and I think its great. The reason I bought it was because I can still play my old PS1 games and for the added bonus of being able to play DVD's.

I don't know too much about the X Box but if it is made by Microsoft it can go to hell.:eek:

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
The_RAT said:
jeez you guys reply with too much

but anyway here are a few things i got to say

hse2

you say the consumer goes with what is the latest and best yet the n64 was really the latest and best out of it the psx and saturn and that wasn't exactly a great success was it

but nintendo stay in their making money all this time because they have people who are loyal to them, there are people out there who support nintendo or sony now just like we support ford or holden, it will take a big effort from microsoft to get this

That was a big effort. N64 was a stuff up from day one. Any system stuck with a cartridge was doom to fail and it come back to software issues. With out third party support the system will struggle and the N64 never got that support.

·
My Neck Hurts....
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
As long as the V8 Supercar game comes out on PC, the consoles can fight for the scraps.....

Some pretty convincing arguments there RAT. It's a hard call isn't it.

I wonder, if Microsoft use their dominance in one area (OS and Office Apps) to muscle into another area (Console Games) does this constitute an illegal use of Monopoly power?

After all, they got hit for doing it in the browser wars.

Food for thought.

Oh man, am I looking forwarding to getting into one of them Xr8's and thundering around Mount Panorama or what!!!

I wonder if they'll simulate anal officials as well? Like, I get a 30 second penalty for scraping the paint off Skaifes doorhandle or something?

Is it worth our while asking Avesco to talk Codemasters into releasing an 'Aussie only' cut-down version of the game - all the V8 Supercar tracks, and none of the other ****e.....

Lukeyson

1 - 20 of 25 Posts