Ford Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just install the Mustang K member into my 91 LSC. The LSC "tech page" would lead you to beleive that this is a direct swap? (and it could be? Maybe it's my installation?)

It did fit once some of the bolt holes were hogged out. But it was NOT a direct bolt in piece. All the bolt holes lined up
perfectly except for 3 of them. The front upper bolt hole, on the drivers side, required a little elongation. However, the 2 inner bolt holes, that attach the K member to the subframe required MAJOR modifications to allow the bolts to be installed. There is almost a 1/2" differance in spacing between these holes when compairing the LSC & Mustang K members. So, you better have a die grinder or some other tool to open these holes up. Also, you'll need to drill some 1/4" holes in the Stang member if you plan to reattach your brake lines like they were mounted on the LSC member.

I aquired the K-member from a 1989 V8 Mustang for $75.00

Also, there are 6 different suspension codes for the SN95, V8 convertable front springs. If you call Ford to purchase a set, you best have the spring codes on hand. I called a dozen Ford parts depts. and without the spring codes, it seems that your **** out of luck trying to purchase a pair. In the end, I could NOT purchase a set of new springs from Ford, due to NOT having the spring codes and no-one at Ford could provide any assistance in solving the suspension code trivia.

(If I'm not mistaken, LSC-R warned me about this a while back?)

Anyway, just wanted to share my experience with everyone. Someone once said they welded up their own upper spring seats and kept the stock LSC K-member in place.. This might be quicker solution than the Mustang K-member trick, and unless it's just my dumb luck, the TECH PAGE documentation needs updating to include alot of missing information.. We hoisted the Stang K-member into place, started to install the bolts and then said WTF!

The front coil swap is still underway, and I'm interested to see what other issues arrise??

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry to hear about your problems, but I have a '88 LSC and my K-member came out of a '91 Mustang. I did have to drill a few 1/4" holes to retain the same brake line brakets, but that was it. Everything else bolted right in and all holes lined up. The upper two holes on each side have nut plates that will move around so you have some adjustment. Is it possible that since yo have a '91 Ford may have changed a few things? I know for a fact that they changed the entire firewall design! Well I hope the rest of your swap goes a little smoother than it has so far.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah, not your fault.. Every good engineer has to do their own
homework.. I'm so use to reviewing TONS of documentation everyday, that details every little nut, bolt & screw, that it isn't fun anymore.

Somedays I swear, I can't even make toast without an MEI. (manufacturing engineering instructions)

I appreicate your input and help.. It's quite obvious that you know your stuff when it comes to the interchange. (I'm learning quick though!)

Thanks!

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ahhh the joy of having a manual...I am one of those guys who puts it all together..THEN looks at the instructions to see if I did it right.;)

·
Mark VII Member
34 Posts
Is the structions that paper thingey?:eek:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts