Ford Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone with a MKII GT or GTP had experiences when cold starting for a about 5-10 seconds, lifter noise or rattle.

Just had its first service, with an oil change ( for good measure) and notices twice today on cold start up. Never had this before.

Anyone else with this? Is it oil pump or pressure problem, I dont trust these pod gauges at all. Mind of their own..

·
Demeritator
128 Posts
I wonder if this can be attributed to the whole oil saga. Perhaps you actually got a thicker mineral based oil which I believe is/was GTX3 for run in, and at first service they put in the thin castrol Type R which seems to be in use now. Perhaps this is causing the delay in comming up to pressure, but then again you'd think this would pump faster cold..............arrrgh, brain hurts.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
2 of the tensoniers of the front of the engine are made of plastic, the little neoprene seal looses about a mill of its sealing area and when the car goes cold oil drains out of the top of the engine, when you start it it takes a little longer for the oil pressure to biuld back up to full capasity causing it to "Rattle" for a couple of seconds, then it goes all quite again.

You can request your dealer fit the new tensioners that are made of metal.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Mine goes in next week for its Timing Chain Tensioner upgrade as the Ford nobs call it,apparently very common in Mark ones,you would think they would have sorted it by Mark2 :whoaa:

·
Registered
80 Posts
bedflute said:
Mine goes in next week for its Timing Chain Tensioner upgrade as the Ford nobs call it,apparently very common in Mark ones,you would think they would have sorted it by Mark2 :whoaa:
Yep, my MK1 does it too but only for a few seconds though. Glad to hear its fixable.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
agreed on the fix, phew... every time I start cold I think is it a little more serious each time. I will now investigate and get it fixed.

Cheers

·
Registered
28 Posts
Mine also does this, only for 1 or 2 seconds, thought I should use some 0w-40 oil in its 15,000k service, I will now be requesting the tentioners be replaced with metal ones as well...

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So much for the MKII being problem free, this was an isue in the MKI and still in the MK II, WHAT THE HELL ARE THEY FPV AND FORD TAKING US FOR?????????????? beside $75,000....It is so damn dissapointing.

·
Registered
80 Posts
They reckon the first of any new model has the most problems, you would think something as obvious as this would be fixed though. Maybe FORD just sit back to wait and see how many complaints they get before biting the bullet and fixing it permanently. Mines going in next week.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I had it in to get this looked at and they replaced the oil filter, aparenlty soem fo the return valves are stuffed, as a first stop, but they admitted the repalcement of the tensioners is a possiblitliy, but last resort, and a wait for parts of about 4 weeks..

Hmmmmm me thinks I smell a rat!!

Needless to say it didnt fix it... nice new filter, and they toped up the oil. now that suprised me...I have hope

·
Registered
193 Posts
NOBOUNDARIES said:
I had it in to get this looked at and they replaced the oil filter, aparenlty soem fo the return valves are stuffed, as a first stop, but they admitted the repalcement of the tensioners is a possiblitliy, but last resort, and a wait for parts of about 4 weeks..

Hmmmmm me thinks I smell a rat!!

Needless to say it didnt fix it... nice new filter, and they toped up the oil. now that suprised me...I have hope
Even though the dealer knew what the problem was i had to book it in first let them look at it ,then contact FMCO,then wait for ok and parts and then wait for loan car to be available,all up it was prolly 6 weeks and the rattle was from new,12 months i put up with it,dont stress mate its all good
Try dealers that are independent of FMCo if your not happy

1 - 18 of 18 Posts