Ford Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello, a friend brought me his 1979 n600 truck to repair. it has a 429/460 motor conversion, edlebrock torquer460 intake, heads cast c8ve-e and block cast DIVE 6015 AA. The truck has blown 2 head gaskets in 200 miles. I could be getting the wrong gaskets( using 1968 lincoln 460) but want to know if these heads will work on this block. if the heads and block work together then what head gaskets should I be using? thank you

·
Super Moderator
8,457 Posts
From what I can find, there shouldn't be a problem with the heads or the intake, so let me ask a few basic questions. Which head gaskets are you using? Are you using new head bolts and what brand? You should be torquing evenly with the first round at about 70 ft-lbs and continue around until they no longer turn at 70. Then about 110 the same way you did before, then a final at 140, continuing with the sequence until there's no more movement at 140 ft-lbs. The grade of the bolt is important for the proper stretch. Once used, it cannot be trusted to get the proper clamping as well as its reliability. Common bolt torquing is as follows:

Torque_Sequence.png

For just about everything you need to know about torque specs and fasteners:

https://www.myodesie.com/index.php/wiki/index/returnEntry/id/3036

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hello, thank you for the information,I was an ase master tech and have done lots of more modern head gaskets with no problems. I do not remember what I torqued the bolts to but i assume it was the 140. I did reuse the head bolts since I did not see any refernces about stretch to yeald when purchasing the head gasket( napa brand). will try again with new head bolts. I am also wondering if it is being over reved as this trucks gearing makes it pedal to floor at 55mph continuous. thank you again.

·
Super Moderator
8,457 Posts
Didn't mean to sound condescending, you'd be amazed at how many don't know how to properly torque in a high pressure flange when they've been doing mechanical work for years.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts