Ford Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
100% Speeding (when safe)
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know from a friend that the v8 autos are getting an average of 30,000km before rebuilding the auto. He works at a geelong holden dealership.!!
How bads that.
Thats why the cops are starting to go back to falcons. The holdens have too many days off!!

How can holden make a profit selling these cars if they have to spend $? on them during the warranty period?
Ford has apparently done a deal with NSW cops for XR8's, so thats good for Ford.

·
CEO - The BSR Group
4,400 Posts
Yeah could be right there mate..

What was the original reason the cops went with the SS's? It was the better top speed wasn't it?

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
As I've said else where the ACT cops have trouble keeping the engines in the Commodore. And they won't buy Falcon until Ford does a V8 MANUAL Forte. That's the traffic cops that is, the general guys don't care.

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
I say stuff the cops and give them the base models again. They don't deserve XR8 and SS. Having said that, there is an image building element there so a good compromise would be to sell them the XR8s without skirts and other extras so the private buyer doesn't have to compete in the resale arena.

·
Aus ls1 *********
89 Posts
I have seen F*%$ all Ford in at Dawson Strret here in Melbourne.
The TMU hated the XR8's as they had less power worse brakes and uncomfortable seats. Thats a few of the reasons they went for SS's and WRX's. I realise Ford has improved their product but Vic Pol has yet to see this.

The idea about police not having either SS's or XR8 is ludicrous.

If your owned a TS 50 and it got knocked would you want coppers in 6 cylinder pieces of sh%# trying to catch them as they drove off. It would be like the coppers were giving chase with ther handbrake on! Goodbye TS50.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
HRT 8 said:
I have seen F*%$ all Ford in at Dawson Strret here in Melbourne.
The TMU hated the XR8's as they had less power worse brakes and uncomfortable seats. Thats a few of the reasons they went for SS's and WRX's. I realise Ford has improved their product but Vic Pol has yet to see this.

The idea about police not having either SS's or XR8 is ludicrous.

If your owned a TS 50 and it got knocked would you want coppers in 6 cylinder pieces of sh%# trying to catch them as they drove off. It would be like the coppers were giving chase with ther handbrake on! Goodbye TS50.
The money they save on buying Fortes and Execs could be better spent on Police Choppers. One hugely speeding car on the road is bad enough, so why add another 5 cops to the equation? In alot of cases a high speed chase will end up in big crash and sometimes into innocent pedestrians.

There less likey to run if they dont know they are being chased or know they cant get away (ie Choppers)

·
Chromed Member
1,810 Posts
I have heard from a very reliable source that cops didnt stick to fords because the new v8's would only run on premium unleaded, and they couldnt justify the extra few cents a litre cost. I suppose it all adds up, but hey when your going flat nacker after a crook, who cares about fuel prices??:( :cussing:

·
7,777 Posts
I agree with the idea that we don't want some of these young (some punks amongst them) Highway Patrol guys to be hooning after other cars. The answer is choppers and other means of following. I'm sorry, but some of these young guys in the HP these days are just TOO young and lack the experience they need. There have been many people who have died when hit by pursuit cop cars and it is seldom an answer to chase them. Then we can discuss the driving ability of some of the people they chase......

Problem is, the running costs of choppers is horrendous......

·
Formerly J-type
1,629 Posts
It's funny this thread has come up as the NZ Police force not long ago bought 600 VX Commodore S's or some them Executives.

I had to laugh the other night because the Police couldn't use them for front line duties due to the fact that they were painted the wrong colours.:D :D :D

·
7,777 Posts
J-type said:
It's funny this thread has come up as the NZ Police force not long ago bought 600 VX Commodore S's or some them Executives.

I had to laugh the other night because the Police couldn't use them for front line duties due to the fact that they were painted the wrong colours.:D :D :D
They bought 600 cars of the wrong colour? What colour were they, and what were they supposed to be?

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Word is Volvo is about to go all out to take over the traffic Police car market. The ACT is looking at another couple of "Police pack" wagons, includeing the pursuit turbo.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts