Ford Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The VY obviously is going to have HID headlights. These are the bestest greatest invention in a long time. Do you think Ford will do it? I hope so. I really do. Even if it's just XR and high line vehicles to start with.

·
Aus ls1 *********
89 Posts
HSE2 is that comment from personal experience? I drive falcons and commodores everday and night for work. I and alot of my work mates prefer the Commodores lights by miles.
I am originally from up near Shepparton and believe you me it can get pretty dark around those parts when there is a new moon. I have never found the lights on my VX to be inadaquate.

·
Ford Focus WRC Driver.
761 Posts
HSE2 said:
Seeing as the holdens current lights are so poor they need an advantage in one area:D
Hmm...I might have to disagree with you on this one. This was also shown in a study (comparing headlights) where the C'dore was the best headlights (in illumination terms). The worst was the Evo VI (Mitsubishi) but hey, will that stop anyone?!?! :D

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
rallyman said:

Hmm...I might have to disagree with you on this one. This was also shown in a study (comparing headlights) where the C'dore was the best headlights (in illumination terms). The worst was the Evo VI (Mitsubishi) but hey, will that stop anyone?!?! :D
Fair enough.

I work at least 50% of my time at night and appart form the Xr the company has numerous Holdens and Falcons.

From my experience the Holdens light are inferior to the Ford in rain and fog.

Comparing the XR lights with mates R8 and SS, the XR has a advantage in Hi beam coverage and in most condition seems to have better illumination. ( not allowing for adjustment straight from Factory)

So I guess I am comparing 6 cars in general. 4 Holden and two Fords.

Also remember Motor Mag saying a similar thing in a comp with the SS. One of the few things I have agreed with said publication over the years

·
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have to say, my AU2 XR has awesome headlights - the high beam is fantastic. Imagine what HID would do.....

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Aussie Pete said:
I have to say, my AU2 XR has awesome headlights - the high beam is fantastic. Imagine what HID would do.....
HID - somekinda gas discharge thingy right?
I read in Motormag a few months back, is it pricey?:eek:

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Aussie Pete said:
Same with mine. I ask everyone that I meet about the lights in their XRs as I was thinking mine were special. Hi beam has great distance and cover.

And yes HID would be great in the next Falcon

·
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
discokin6 said:
all this sounds great - but what is HID??
High Intensity Discharge.
Uses a ballast to excite the gas atoms in a special bulb (similar to a fluoro light) rather than a traditional metal filament bulb. The result - bright white light at low power. Awesome!

·
Australian Falcon Member
663 Posts
oh, sweet!

Would it be possible to have this as like a kit or something?

You'dve thought that Ford would have done this since EF days - I see so many EF Falcons driving around with glazed headlights due (possibly) to the fact that 55/100 bulbs have been installed, thus perishing the plastic inside the assembly.

But I guess its one of the few things introduced to assist quality of the build. Look at XD compared to XC, just the little things, such as gas struts on the hood to mention one item - makes a WORLD of difference when youre under the hood, no annoying metal stick to bump into!
edit: Compared to Commodores and other lower forms of cars!

I guess its even nicer than the spring assisted setup installed on previous Falcons, too

·
Aus ls1 *********
89 Posts
You could very well be right too HSE2. I am only comparing our work cars which are Commodore execs and Fraud sorry Ford Divi vans. I have not experience XR headlights so I can comment on those. We may also have different globes fitted too, I don't know???

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
HRT 8 said:
You could very well be right too HSE2. I am only comparing our work cars which are Commodore execs and Fraud sorry Ford Divi vans. I have not experience XR headlights so I can comment on those. We may also have different globes fitted too, I don't know???
I don't think I have come across too many new cars that have poor lights.

My original comments were tongue in cheek, but I do feel as though my car has especially good lights and in my opinion are better then the Holdens I have driven.
Maybe mine is a little different from normal. I remember asking Laminge about his and he didn't go into raptures.

·
gone
10,402 Posts
HRT 8 said:
HSE2 is that comment from personal experience? I drive falcons and commodores everday and night for work. I and alot of my work mates prefer the Commodores lights by miles.
I am originally from up near Shepparton and believe you me it can get pretty dark around those parts when there is a new moon. I have never found the lights on my VX to be inadaquate.
HRT 8

I couldnt agree more.

I would love to upgrade the old sealed valiant lights in my xr to something with better brightness in the dark, specially country.

I have ended up putting on a set of small "fog lamps - white" which i recon increase visability by 20%

·
Interloper from LS1.com
768 Posts
HRT 8 said:
In WA they used to put 90/100's in the Commodore chasers.

I've got 90/100 OptiBlues in my VT.

·
Owner Of Tommy Turbo
272 Posts
I thought fairlanes/ltd's already had HID(High Intensity Discharge) lights. Aren't they the ones with all those pretty colours?????
:)

·
Poor IT guy
506 Posts
discokin6 said:
Look at XD compared to XC, just the little things, such as gas struts on the hood to mention one item - makes a WORLD of difference when youre under the hood, no annoying metal stick to bump into!
The XC didn't have a stick to hold the hood up, it had springs on the hinges.

·
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
saleen1 said:
I thought fairlanes/ltd's already had HID(High Intensity Discharge) lights. Aren't they the ones with all those pretty colours?????
:)
No, they are projector beam lights. They use a lens which causes refraction at the edges of the beam making the light look blue or other shades of the rainbow spectrum. These still use a filament globe. You can spot HID easily, it makes you think it's daylight - not really blue - just strong white light with a very slight hint of blue due to the high Kelvin number of the light.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts