Ford Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
I am only 16 years old, and looking for a first car. Near my house, there is a 93 Sable for sale. According to the sheet taped inside it is fully loaded, "Runs and drives great", and is selling for $2200. Looking at the car, the outside; has a few scratches, but no dents. The inside; (from what I could see) looked to be in pretty good condition. However, looking at the odometer, looks like it has about 140,000 miles on it. At that many miles, what would be some problems to watch out for? Any common problems around this mileage? Would this be a good buy at this price? If not, what would be a good price? Thanks
-Jay

·
Grand Muckety Muck
710 Posts
Really, as long as the maintnance has been kept up, you shouldn't have to expect many problems at all. Also, before you buy it, taek it to a mechanic or motorhead that you trust. If there are any problems, they are likley to find em thenm before you purchase the car.

Hope this helps ya some. Let us know how it goes!

·
Vintage Mustang Member
70 Posts
The biggest problem with a Sable is the 3.8 engine which is VERY prone to blow headgaskets. A '93 also has the old R-12 (freon) air conditioning rather than the more modern, (and less expensive) R-134. As much as I like these cars, I would not recommend one as your fist car. The main reason being that, if you have a major problem like a transmission failure or a head gasket problem, the cost of repairing will be more that the car is worth. Even if you have mechanical skills and the tools, repairing these kinds of problems can be challenging as well as expensive.

IMO, you'd be better off with a basic Toyota in the same price range.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts