Ford Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Chasing down oil leaks...
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does coolant react with anything to make it white powdery looking?

Cos I looked under my car to see a patch of trans fluid (not the problem because I know why that is there) and opened the bonnet and coming out from under the heat shield was some coolant which was on some white stuff and was also sprayed onto the steering column. Looked to me to be due to some chemical reaction...

Haven't had a chance to find exact source but will look tomorrow.

I really hoping this isn't head gasket no. 2 but I seriously doubt it. I am baffled...

Dan...

·
No longer around
4,882 Posts
certainly sounds like a HG to me.

is it kinda milky, like it could be oil and coolant mixed?.
open the oil cap and tell us what colour oil is?

·
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nah oil is fine... it isn't milky.. this stuff is powdery... and the car still runs and idles fine with no exhaust leaks into the coolant either (no excess pressure build up)

I'm thinking a leaking welch plug that is reacting with trans fluid, degreaser... arrgghhh..

**** me.. i don't know...

·
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like a green battery terminal corrosion but is directly under the head shield below no. 3 and 4... thats about as accurate a description as I can give...

I locked my keys under the bonnet to get that description... I almost have breaking into my car down to an art...

Dan...

·
No longer around
4,882 Posts
Axeman82 said:
Looks like a green battery terminal corrosion but is directly under the head shield below no. 3 and 4... thats about as accurate a description as I can give...

I locked my keys under the bonnet to get that description... I almost have breaking into my car down to an art...

Dan...
LOL, whoops.

so is this stuff near a welch plug?
or near an earth strap mounting point? if near teh earth strap point, it could be just batt terminal crap.

·
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pulled the heat shield off and its welch plugs. They are leaking a little in each one and the white powdery stuff must be it burning due to the exhaust heat.

Dan...

·
No longer around
4,882 Posts
well when you change em, spend the few extra bucks and get the brass ones rather than the tin ones. they'll last a lifetime, and that one around at the beack of the head is an absolute fcuk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts