Ford Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping someone can give me some pointers.

A few weeks ago I noticed a puddle underneath my car, popped the hood and the coolant reservoir was empty. I refilled it, took a look at the hoses and took it for a long drive. After I got home, I popped the hood and it was empty again. I took the reservoir out and noticed fresh liquid right under the overflow. Took it to a mechanic since my warranty is up and the mechanic said that it was a crack in the plastic reservoir, ordered me a new one and replaced it. I refilled it, took it for a drive and again, it was empty when I got back. I've checked the hoses and they are in good shape and the last thing that I can think of it being is a busted reservoir cap. I know it's not leaking from the radiator because it always comes from right where the reservoir is and it's just the reservoir that keeps emptying because when I take the reservoir off, the coolant hose is full to the top. I'm hoping someone can at least point me in the right direction. I appreciate any help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm hoping someone can give me some pointers.

A few weeks ago I noticed a puddle underneath my car, popped the hood and the coolant reservoir was empty. I refilled it, took a look at the hoses and took it for a long drive. After I got home, I popped the hood and it was empty again. I took the reservoir out and noticed fresh liquid right under the overflow. Took it to a mechanic since my warranty is up and the mechanic said that it was a crack in the plastic reservoir, ordered me a new one and replaced it. I refilled it, took it for a drive and again, it was empty when I got back. I've checked the hoses and they are in good shape and the last thing that I can think of it being is a busted reservoir cap. I know it's not leaking from the radiator because it always comes from right where the reservoir is and it's just the reservoir that keeps emptying because when I take the reservoir off, the coolant hose is full to the top. I'm hoping someone can at least point me in the right direction. I appreciate any help.
My 2013 focus SE is doing the same thing. Changed the cap orings inside cap were bad. Still coming out the little hole on bottom of overflow tank. Not registering hot on dashboard. Does bubble from time to time but doesn't overheat. I'm puzzled. Please let me know if you have figured this out. Ty

·
Super Moderator
8,360 Posts
If air got pulled into the system, it might take a while to purge it out. Have you checked the actual level in the radiator?

·
Super Moderator
20,542 Posts
If you are losing coolant a pressure test of cooling system should show any external leaks and if needed a block test will show any internal leaks , You could also check engine coolant fan is cutting in o.k .

·
Super Moderator
20,542 Posts
Even with heater / AC off , the engine coolant fan should still cut in when the temp approaches the predetermined setting . On various makes the fan often does not cut on till approaching red sector on temp gauges . I have had cars where the coolant bottle was nearly bubbling before the fan kicked in .

·
Super Moderator
20,542 Posts
If you are losing coolant a pressure test of cooling system should show any external leaks and if needed a block test will show any internal leaks , The block test will show any possible head gasket leaks which causes cooling system to over pressurise , or will eliminate that as a cause .

·
Registered
7 Posts
That's my next step. Loaner tool from Autozone is only $44 and you get it back when returned. Are you referring to the chemical test or the Pressure test through spark plugs?

·
Registered
7 Posts
They guy at AutoZone said he didn't have one of the coolant testers and looked at my like I was crazy when I asked. Lol I will try Advance an see maybe they have one. Thanks I'll keep you posted!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Have someone to rev. the engine up at a low RPM stand and watch the area to see where the fluid Is leaking from maybe one of the hoses have a small leak connected to the reservoir leaking. If not there check your water pump maybe it’s leaking.

·
Super Moderator
20,542 Posts
Have someone to rev. the engine up at a low RPM stand and watch the area to see where the fluid Is leaking from maybe one of the hoses have a small leak connected to the reservoir leaking. If not there check your water pump maybe it’s leaking.

Post #11 covers this and is a far better method of detecting leaks . You could possibly use your suggestion in an emergency or if living way out and no access to stores handy .But it is never as good as using the proper equipment as the poster intends to do .

·
Registered
38 Posts
Does this cap operate the same as a typical radiator cap does?? IOW - a typical radiator cap has a pressure relief/vacuum valve built-in to it that opens when pressure gets too high which sends coolant to the reservoir. Once the engine cools back down,a vacuum is created which draws/pulls the coolant from the reservoir back into the radiator.If the pressure relief valve remains open all the time,coolant will continue to be forced into the reservoir and once it gets full/close to full,it will start escaping from the overflow tube on the reservoir and it will just puddle up under the reservoir.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts