Ford Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any of you out there have problem with coolant leaking from pump?
I think I may have crack the seal, during one morning blitz to work. Well its going back to the dealers tomorrow and I hope they put a new engine on it while its there.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Result, they've replace the water pump with a new one... whoopee feels like I got some more grunt. The pump shit itself completely but still manage to pump some around with a bit of leak here and there. Its just not common for a pump to fail at 30k.
Where abouts is the Thermostat, I think I better check on that too. No I havent heard of anyone had problems in this area.

·
Tickford Owners Club NSW
60 Posts
Howdy Kerry & slow XR6,

Kerry's problem of coolant seepage at thermostat housing is quite common. If the corrosion hasn't bitten into the alloy you can clean it up and refit the hose with a new clamp.

The leaky water pump at 30k is less common. It might be a good idea to check for a condition called stray voltage. "E" series Falcons suffer from this condition a lot. When you have stray voltage in the cooling system, you actually have electrical current travelling through the cooling system. What it does is to attack alloy components in contact with the coolant. Cylinder heads most often, but can attack any alloy component. It eats the metal away and deposits it in the tubes of the radiator core.

It's easy to check if you have a voltmeter.

Salada

Jimbaddy

·
Registered
118 Posts
hi guys
coolant leaks are very common in fords latley but sometimes hard to find most commonly they leak when the engine is cold so its a good idea to let the engine cool down repressure test the system and the most common spots are o ring behind water pump and thermostat housing aera and mainly in line 6,s

1 - 7 of 7 Posts