Ford Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 94 ford mustang gt 5.0 and I'm having problems with leaking coolant . Today I sat down to see where it leaks from after a good long drive and it started pouring from the reservoir tank . It is broken on top so it started pouring out from there . I dont know where to start figuring this out .

·
Super Moderator
1,081 Posts
You have already diagnosed PART of your problem. Your cooling system, including the tank, is under pressure when the engine reaches operating temperature. If the tank is broken, then it will leak when it gets hot. However, a much larger problem is why the tank broke in the first place. It could just be due to age or misuse, but it could also be a blown head gasket allowing combustion pressure into your cooling system. First, replace the tank, then have a reliable mechanic check for the problems described. DO NOT overheat your engine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You have already diagnosed PART of your problem. Your cooling system, including the tank, is under pressure when the engine reaches operating temperature. If the tank is broken, then it will leak when it gets hot. However, a much larger problem is why the tank broke in the first place. It could just be due to age or misuse, but it could also be a blown head gasket allowing combustion pressure into your cooling system. First, replace the tank, then have a reliable mechanic check for the problems described. DO NOT overheat your engine.
I thought the same on the blown head gasket but I dont have any coolant in my oil or water out my exhaust . Plus the tank has been broken since I bought the car and this hadn't happened before so I'm confused on why it started now

·
Super Moderator
1,081 Posts
No idea why the problem would start now (warmer weather?) but replace the tank and keep a close eye on the coolant level and temp gauge. I would also consider replacing the thermostat and flushing the coolant, an inexpensive and easy maint. item.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts