Ford Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, has anyone tryed removing airconditioning condensor to allow more air to hit the radiator directly? would it make a difference? my car runs relatively hot, like half way in the 'normal range' and thats on the highway, it can easily run close to "hot" when in the city or bad traffic.
any ideas?
-> e.b 3.9mp 5spd

·
Registered
529 Posts
The radiator is probably 1/2 blocked if its never been removed before. The design of the rad lends well to filling up with deposits from the bottom up. To get it professionally rodded out costs about $50 and back flushing doesn't work. It normally doesn't start showing on the temp gauge untill the rad is about 1/3 blocked.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, so my radiators probly blocked. do you think those pollished alloy rads would fit without problems from a BA falcon? i can get hold of one if it can fit, but a new alloy one is like close to a thousand$$$

even with a new radiator, would removing the condensor help at all?

·
Banned
3,104 Posts
The problem is not really the airflow to the radiator.
Other things to try include the fan and the thermostat. Is the fan stiff, or does it turn freely? If it's stiff, it's fine. Changing the thermostat is something you are probably getting close to needing to do anyway - the car's about at that age ;) In any case it's worth trying before you go changing radiators IMO

Alex

·
Registered
49 Posts
It could be worth a try BUT you are still going to use the a/c you would have to find somewhere else for the condenser to get a good air flow. My experience is there is a build up of 'crap' between the a/c coil and the rad. So loosen the a/c coil and have a bo-peep. The reason the a/c coil is so close to the rad is because if the a/c coil is away from the rad the airfow is not there to feed the rad (that stretchein the old memory cells and going back to physics..)

Hope it all makes sence otherwise get back to me
Cheers - Eric

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well ive already done the thermostat and the fan is fine. and if i took the condensor out, i wouldnt put it back in at all.
ill try taking it off, clean out any 'crap' in between.

still wanna know if ba rad fits eb

·
Chasing down oil leaks...
836 Posts
falcon_boy,

Air-con condensor usually is the first line of defence against insects, small birds, etc and so the fins often bend and restrict airflow. My a/c doesn't work either and I'm also considering taking mine out and putting some mesh behind the grill to stop little visitors at high speeds smashing my radiator.

But definately get it cored because if it didn't do it from factory (overheating like that anyway ;-)) then something has changed to make it like that.

Dan..

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
falcon_boy, sound similar to a problem that i had.

my temp would sit quite high during the day, and if i dare give it a bit, well i just dont want to go there.

First up i put in a really cool thermostat, and got rid of the clutch fan. this seemed to make quite a difference, it took alot more to get the car to get up on the temp gauge.

Then when my radiator side tank decided to split at 2am one Sunday morning, i was up for a new radiator. You can get one from the wreckers for about $200, but i wanted to go with a ford radiator. The 6cyl radiator is more expensive than the V8 one, yet the fins on the V8 one are closer together, (hence better cooling) than the 6cyl one.

Apart from that, the V8 one is EXACTLY the same, despite ppl from ford saying it would, then no it wont, and the price changing a million times.

My advice, if you go down the thermo conversion, you will need to get a cooler thermostat anyway, and put in thermos, and a new V8radiator. my radiator cost me $284, (thanks to my connections).. and this would be the same setup that i now have

My car sits on the bracket on the cold side, and barely moves in good traffic. my temp will rise if i am still and dont have the a/c on (the fans cycle with the a/c) but the thermos come into play, and cool the bastard down really quickly.

If you want any help, i am sure if you talk $$$ Rollin will help you out.

And if you want some thermos, i will be able to arrange some for you, exetremely cheap!!! i have a spare set, but they are already sold, but i am sure i mite be able to get another lot!!!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well im just about to pull the condensor off but it looks like hell, how did you do it? just loosen it off to make a gap or drop the rad back and pull the whole thing out? i rekon if it comes out it stays out.
by the way, how do u rig up thermos? im not real familliar with them. . there electric fans arent they? ive seen em at work on engine modules, they have like 5 or 6 per module, so the must work alright. does anyone have pics of their set up?

thanx in advance

·
Can't wait for Winton...
2,759 Posts
falcon_boy, first step is to make sure your radiator is 100%. If you don't know when it was last cleaned out, get that done by a local rad shop. The stock radiator should keep it cool. While the rad is out you can check for any crap between the condenser and rad, etc.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well its done, rad is facing full on air. was alot of [email protected] in there actually. no real difference so far but the real test will be work and back, (it usually get pretty warm) so ill see how she goes and get bak with results.

·
Registered
85 Posts
My old XF was having the same problem with overheating in traffic. The a/c was stuffed so I ripped the whole system out mainly to get rid of some extra weight. I also hooked up a thermo fan to blow through the radiator as well as having the factory fan. My heat problem was pretty much solved from that. Then again, radiator blockages and dud water pumps are a good source of problems for rising heat.

In regards to hooking up the thermo fans, the electrical side of things are pretty much straight forward. Mines connected through a relay that switches the fan on and off and is in turn sourcing its power directly from the battery. Those fans do suck some current so dont hook them up directly to another source. The relay is operated by an islolation switch on the console and connects to the ignition circuit.

Its a bit hard to explain how to connect it up but if you need a wiring diagram, let me know.

·
Australian Falcon Member
865 Posts
Just removing the condenser will make **** all difference.

You have a problem (most likely internally obstructed radiator) which needs to be fixed - not just worked around - not that removing the condenser is even going to be a decent work around because like I said, it will make **** all difference.

·
Birth, Drift, Death...
3,039 Posts
how did it go??? if its not fixed i reckon we should put a thermostat in it, and then maybe a radiator...but i want a look at the car first...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts