Ford Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.

Should the fans always be active, even with the engine cold?

I know that the normal thing in a car is that the fans are activated when the engine reaches a certain temperature.In the case of my Focus, the fans always activate when I turn the key to the ACC position. The wiring is connected correctly according to the wiring diagram for this model, according to what I have reviewed.

Someone in some forum told me that in the case of the Ford Focus with Duratec 2.3 PZEV Motor the fans are activated when the key is turned to the ACC position. Is this situation normal in Focus with Duratec 2.3 PZEV engine? My car is a SE 2004 2.3 PZEV. Here, where I live, this engine configuration is rare. Most of the Ford Focus of this generation have a ZTEC engine and not a DURATEC PZEV, so I don't have an easy way to contact any FOCUS owner locally who has a DURATEC 2.3 PZEV engine to confirm if the fans turn on at turn the key to the ACC position. Nor can I check with the local distributor, because here Ford did not distribute the Ford Focus if not until a couple of years ago. All Focus here were imported by individual people.

If it is not normal for fans to turn on in this way, could someone of you indicate the steps to follow in order to find the source of the fault?

Beforehand thank you very much.

(PS. I hope you can understand me, I don't speak much English).

·
Super Moderator
20,061 Posts
Sounds normal to me on any Focus cars I've had or worked on . Take it coolant level o.k . When the heater is set to screen even if the air conditioning is switched off , the air con will run as will the air con cooling fan. This is normal operation. You confirm this by turning the heater distribution control to face vents or feet and after a short period with the engine running the fans should stop.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, thanks for your response. I have done the test that you indicate, but the radiator fans never stop. They are always active.

Greetings and thanks for your help.

·
Super Moderator
20,061 Posts
There are variations according to year , country etc on fuse box schematics but this one lists 3 relays that POSSIBLY could be sticking . R3 . R15 . R16 .Could pulling one at a time and see if fan cuts out. The Focus changed in 2004 in some countries also which doesn't help .

Ford Focus mk1 (1998 – 2007) – fuse box diagram

Engine Compartment Fuse Box
Ford Focus - fuse box diagram - engine compartmentFord Focus – fuse box diagram – engine compartment

R3​
Europe:
Heated front screen
Engine cooling fan
USA:
’99-’02: Not used
’03-’04: Engine cooling fan (2.3L engine only)
’05-’07: Engine cooling fan (high speed)

R15​
Europe: Engine cooling fan (high speed)
USA:
’99-’04: Engine cooling fan (high speed)
’05: Not used
’06-’07: Air pump

R16​
Europe: Engine cooling fan (low speed)
USA:
’99-’04: Engine cooling fan (low speed)
’05: Not used
’06-’07: Not used

By the way , I am not the best on car electrics , I had staff that did that work but will try to help .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi

Thanks for your help. I don't have my car near me, but as soon as I return home I test the relays and keep you up to date with the result.

Thank you

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello Logan

I attached photos of how is the fuse box of my car and photos of relay R3. My car doesn't have the R15 relay. It has the R16 relay and works well.
I don't know if the R3 relay works correctly, I think it's not such a common relay because I haven't been able to find information on how to check it.

Do you know how I can try it? If my car uses the R3 relay, should it have the R15 relay?

I don't know if this information is important, but I share that my car was manufactured in the USA.

·
Super Moderator
20,061 Posts
All the fuse box layouts / schematics I have are different from your set up , so hard to really help more . I used to swap relays with a known same good one to test and then replace back . I do remember on some Focus models we had problems with the CHT ( cyl head temp sensor ) and the wiring at sensor was also sometimes damaged by the heat .This was located between cyl 2 and 3 . This meant wrong info was being sent to the ECU , whether this applies to your car and affects the fan running , not sure . Other early cars had a fan sensor screwed into the radiator .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Logan,

I managed to get a detail of the relay that my Focus uses. I will continue doing tests to solve the problem. If the relay is defective I will have to buy it online at rockauto or autozone since locally it is not possible to get it.I share with you the scheme I got from this relay in case it is useful to you at some point. Really thank you very much for your help.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts