Ford Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wondering what cooling combinations you guys use , i have a mild 351 in an xy but have trouble keepin it cool when im not moving , it has a 3 core radiator like the gt's and 15 inch thermo , i have a transmission cooler infront of the rad the stops me havin both engine and thermo ,
 

· Registered
Joined
·
330 Posts
XWHY said:
i was wondering what cooling combinations you guys use , i have a mild 351 in an xy but have trouble keepin it cool when im not moving , it has a 3 core radiator like the gt's and 15 inch thermo , i have a transmission cooler infront of the rad the stops me havin both engine and thermo ,
There's been plenty of stuff on this site about cooling - just look on cleveland section.

But a 4 blade fan, shroud and 3 core radiator (all stock items) go a long way to solving problem.

Others who have had problems change from single thermo to twin thermo (off EL-AU I think) and say they work well.
The stock fan needs a shroud though. Oh and the correct thermostat.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah i had a look there thanks , i cant fit the au fans in the xy engine bay , anyone else got some ideas , how much beter will it be with engine fan + shroud , i am not currently running a shroud just the thermo and its pulling the air through the rad
 

· Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
XWHY said:
yeah i had a look there thanks , i cant fit the au fans in the xy engine bay , anyone else got some ideas , how much beter will it be with engine fan + shroud , i am not currently running a shroud just the thermo and its pulling the air through the rad
personally, i think having the shroud is imperative as it allows all the air flow to go through the radiator rather than escaping around the sides, i have original one on my 351xc, along with 71C thermostat which is about 10 or so degrees lower than factory specs, and although the operating temp while driving is lucky to creep more than a needle width above the blue, it still creeps up when stuck in traffic on 40C days, rarely more than 3/4
 

· Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rarely above 3/4 whats that in degrees do you know , my thermo comes on at 80 deg , was sittin in traffic on a reasonable night in the city and it came to bout 105 , but thats a thermo and no shroud just the one that in-cases the thermo , its annoyin as i cant take it no where if i know im gonna be stop startin , so you think engine fan and 70 deg thermostat and shroud should solve my problems ,
 

· Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
XWHY said:
rarely above 3/4 whats that in degrees do you know , my thermo comes on at 80 deg , was sittin in traffic on a reasonable night in the city and it came to bout 105 , but thats a thermo and no shroud just the one that in-cases the thermo , its annoyin as i cant take it no where if i know im gonna be stop startin , so you think engine fan and 70 deg thermostat and shroud should solve my problems ,
i cant say exactly what 3/4 is as i just dont know, however specs say that thermostat starts to open at 87- 90C, and should be fully open at 99- 100C, so at a guess 3/4 would be around the 100C mark or more (operating temp usually around 92C). personally i have no preference over engine or thermo fan, except that engine fans tend to rob horsepower slightly, but i do think a shroud is vital just so that the air has to go through the radiator and no where else and a couple of bucks for a new thermostat and gasket is alot cheaper than a cooked engine
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top