Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Probe SE Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The probe was such a sleek car. I think it looks much better than the Cougar. It still turns heads..bring back the Probe..give us the J-spec motors..market it better. And while there at give us the Puma too!!

·
Registered
7,859 Posts
I don't know how others feel. But the Cougar is far better looking than the Puma. Thats just my two cents. I said this in another topic , put the Cougar on the 626 chassis. Then, put the new RX-8 rotory engine in it.

P

·
0 Posts
96 PSE said:
The probe was such a sleek car. I think it looks much better than the Cougar. It still turns heads..bring back the Probe..give us the J-spec motors..market it better. And while there at give us the Puma too!!
My thoughts exactly. If it wasnt for those dumb suits at Ford the probe could be still alive and succesful.

·
Probe SE Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah..Im thinking about puting the J-spec intake manifold on my SE. Give it a little boost.

·
Thunderbird Member
55 Posts
i agree

that cougar wasnt really a cougar anyway.. gimme something like the 89-90 xr7, RWD, SC'd v6 (i had a regular v6 91 cougar before my SC)

ford fubarred the cougar name with the that ricebox.

·
Registered
7,859 Posts
Re: i agree

Supercoupe_1993 said:
ford fubarred the cougar name with the that ricebox.
I wouldn't call it a ricebox. It's on the Contour chassis and has the Contour 2.5L engine in it, nothing Mazda on this car.

·
Registered
7,859 Posts
I'd rather drive a Cougar than any Honda. Yes, Ford has really messed this car up over the years.

·
Old Skool Member
1,031 Posts
Now come on guys, give Ford some credit. The Cougar is actually a nice car. I've driven the V6 and it is very smooth, and actually pretty quick. I also thought that the interior was really nice too.

·
Registered
7,859 Posts
I think the Cougar is a good looking car. But the Cougar was developed to compete against the Jaguar. Not to be made big and bulky or into a small sport compact car.

·
Registered
7,859 Posts
2ksport said:

uhhh, are you sure about this??? which jag would this be? the ultra fast and extremely rare $97K Jaguar XKR Silversone, or a "cheaper" $57K Jaguar S-Type?????
In 1965, not 1999, when Ford/ Lincoln-Mercury was developing this car. The Mustang was competing against the Corvette, the Camaro hadn't come out yet. Ford wanted something to compete against the Jaguar XKE. Something sporty with European styling. They came up with the Cougar hence "the cat" on the car. How do I know all of this I read automotive books, magazines, watch the History channel and Speedvision. BTW I owned a 67 Cougar XR7, fast car.

·
A-Team Member
263 Posts
Okay i maybe weird but i like the Cougar, Probe, and Puma. They all have some cool characteristics

·
Registered
7,859 Posts
I've seen the Puma on the Ford web site. It looks strange to me, but to each their own. Of course I think most things from England do look strange. j/k :D

·
Probe GT Member
12 Posts
As the owner of a '99 Cougar (wife's car) and a former owner of a '93 Probe GT, I can tell you that the Cougar and Probe appeal to very different audiences (or at least they should).

A younger person (16-25) cross-shopping Prelude, Integra, or Celica, would be happier in a Probe GT. The Probe drives and handles much lighter than the Cougar and has comparable all-around performance.

A slight older (22-35) person cross shopping Accord coupe, Camry Solara, or Chrysler Sebring would be happier in a Cougar V6. The car is heavier feeling than the Probe and is more of a cruiser than a bruiser. It's performance is respectable, but should not be the #1 priority of the driver (or else he/she should look elsewhere).

IMO, drop the I-4 cat and have the Cougar V6 come standard with 200hp for the Accord and Camry coupe sets. More importantly, offer a supercharged version pumping around 250hp...basically for those guys wanting a fast American car without having to buy a less-refined pony car. Leave the import-fighting to the Focus and resulting derivatives.

·
Mustang GT Member
21 Posts
It's a fake

I will never call that tiny, ugly, front-wheel drive, four cylinder standard thing a Cougar. They did the same thing to the Capri in '91. Where is that now?? The Cougar is officially dead anyway thank God.

·
Cougar Member
14 Posts
Ok, here's one for the Cougar.

I owned a Probe GT 5spd in the past and I'm currently a proud owner of a 2000 Mercury Cougar V6 5spd. I liked the Probe GT very much but I absolutely love my new Cougar. The Probe was slightly faster in a straight line but I've found that the Duratec engine in the Cougar to be a lot smoother and it responds much better to modifications. Handling is about equal.

I bought the Probe because I've always wanted a Capri. And not a Mustang-based Mercury Capri from the 80's but a European Ford Capri. The Probe was the closest thing to a Capri that Ford built so I bought one. Like I stated earlier, I liked the car but there was definately something missing. Basically, it didn't feel like a European car. It just felt like any other cookie-cutter Japanese sports coupe on the market. The Cougar, on the other hand, was completely designed and engineered in Europe. Its only built in North America. Its chassis was tuned for European tastes... There hasn't been a European Ford as good as this car in North America since the Merkur XR4Ti.

As for the design. The Cougar's design is definately one of the best examples of Ford's design might. Proportions are dead on. Unlike the Probe's design where its so smooth and slick that your eye will wander right off of it and onto something else, if you follow the Cougar's lines, your eye will never want to leave the car. And that's what any designer strives to do. I think that people here in North America that have a hard time accepting it because they are used to non-offensive cookie-cutter cars with gimmicky styling ornaments to make them special. Design of high caliber is not common here, but in Europe its a requirement for a sports coupe. Take a look at the Cougar's competitors there; the Alfa Romeo GTV, the Fiat Coupe, the Renault Megane, the Peugeot 406 Coupe... Any of them would be considered very strange if they ever came here, but nevertheless they are at the cutting-edge of automotive design.

No one ever commented on my Probe GT... ok, occasionally someone would tell me that its a nice car or tell me that it looked fast but that's it. With my Cougar, I've had people run across parking lots just to talk to me about my car. Every month or so, someone approaches me about my car... and on a few occasions, we talked for more than an hour about it. And its not kids either... they're usually adults. Its great!

In Europe, the Probe was unsuccessful whereas the Cougar was the 2nd best selling sport coupe after the Ford Puma. Ford discontinued the Cougar there because they stopped development on the CDW27 platform of the old Mondeo, from which the Cougar is built from. The Puma is also going to be discontinued very soon because Ford has stopped development on its Fiesta platform. Like the new Mondeo, the next Fiesta will be based on all new platform.

"Cougar" is not a car. "Cougar" is nothing more than a BRAND NAME owned by the Ford Motor Company and not you or anyone else. Is a Mustang SVO with its turbo-charged 4-cyl as much a Mustang as one with a 5-litre V8? Or is any car with "Mustang" written on its bodywork as much of a Mustang as the orginal from 1964? This kind of stuff is childish. No this current Cougar is not a rear-wheel-drive car and doesn't pack a V8 under the hood. Its a great car on its own right, and in my opinion, would have never needed the Cougar name to be successful. I have European magazines from 1997 with articles and pictures of this car and claiming that it was going to be called the Ford Capri in Europe and the Ford Probe in North America... and this was before those Mercury Cougar (aka MC) concept cars sprung up on Mercury stands at autoshows in North America. The fact is, Mercury needed this car a lot more than the car needed an established brand name like "Cougar" or "Probe". The name of this car had absolutely no effect on my decision to purchase it.

I'm disapointed to find all this immature "my Ford is better than your Ford" **** here. When I first found this forum, I was expecting this to be a great place to meet other Ford fans and to partake in some meaningful discussions about Ford cars. I let everyone know in NECO (a 1999-up Cougar club that I'm heavily involved with... 1700 members strong throughout the world) about these forums.... and now they come here and see this trash. Thanks guys!

And Stacy94PGT, all stuff back in '67 about the Cougar competing with the Jaguars was Ford's ad-wizardry/propaganda. As if any Cougar from that era could be directly compared to, say, an E-Type. That's like comparing a good chicken dinner to caviar. The Cougar was supposed to be European inspired... well I lived in Europe for almost half of my life and I never saw anything that looks remotely like the original Cougar. The Cougar name was not a direct attack on Jaguar. The Cougar name was used on many Ford prototypes/dreamcars from the 50's forward including a car that came to be the '64 Mustang. That's where that name came from. Oh, and according to a Road & Track issue from that era, the '64 Pontiac GTO beat the living daylights out of a Ferrari 250 GTO in a head-to-head comparison too. You had to be blindly patriotic or an idiot to believe that one. And geez, add a splash of brandy in some American Apple Pie, call it European, and you can sell a million of them. ;)

·
Cougar Member
10 Posts
Thanks Fern ...
Well, I thought this is FORD Forum, not a "MY PORBE IS BETTER, YOUR COUGAR SUCKS" Forum. Fact is, there is no more Probe. I'd loved to buy a Probe in 95, but I changed my mind then, Then I finally bought a Cougar in 99 and I love it.
If most of you act childish like that I am out of here. I drive a Ford and I totally agree with FERN's Statement...
I hope you calm down a little bit, otherwise... this forum will be a waste of time for me.
Marc (FORD driver from germany)

·
Mustang GT Member
21 Posts
I never said the Probe was a bad car. I like them a lot. We have differences in opinion that's all. Don't need to get all upset about it. You like the Cougar and that is fine, to me it is more than just a name. I guess I am a little more enthusastic about my cars. You are right about me though, I could have bought a Cougar because I needed a winter car this year, but I didn't specifically because it was called a Cougar. If they were still building the Probe, I would have jumped on one in an instant. We all have our standards. Had they called the Cougar a Capri (sine they already destroyed that name), I would have bought one without a problem. Call me crazy, but that's the way I am.

·
Registered
7,859 Posts
First of all only two people said they didn't like the Cougar. The rest of us like the car and was just coming up with ideas for it to stay around. Just don't want to see another good sport compact car disapear due to lack of performance and aftermarket. There is nothing wrong with giving ones opinon about a car, nothing immature about at all.

Fern, the reason you never saw a Cougar in Europe is because it was design for only N.America. The little comment about the Pontiac GTO vs. Ferrari 250 GTO. Do you hate American cars ? Do you not think that America can build a car that can compeat against the Europeans ? How can you cay it was a lie ? It wasn't only Road and Track that reported this, other media outlets did as well. BTW I perfer fried chicken over caviar any day. :D I belive most Americans would to.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts