Ford Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
No pain, no gain!
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy folks. Well I was just having a squizz at the levels before taking off for the weekend and as I was doing the oil cap back up the bottom half of the thread just snapped clean off into the rockercover. We've managed to get it out with pliers, and I don't think there will be much debris left but I'm wondering if say a few chips of the brittle plastic left in there will cause any issues (short or long term)?

EL 4L I6 btw. Cheers!

·
Aussie Falcon Enthusiast
478 Posts
Any debris in the engine is bad. By looking at the pieces of the oil cap does it look like any material was left behind? Have you run the engine since?

If you think there are pieces left in there and the engine hasn't been run since the incident I would give serious consideration to to removing the rocker cover and cleaning it out.

·
No pain, no gain!
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I figured it wouldn't be too healthy. I haven't run it since.

What's involved in taking off the rocker cover - is it going to need a new gasket, and/or will I have to drain the oil before this?

-Edit: Just had a look and there is a piece about .5cms long in there, but I lost it with the pliers down into the oil... :S

·
Aussie Falcon Enthusiast
478 Posts
I don't own a 6 currently but from what I gather from the engine layout I would say yes to a new gasket and no to an oil change.

·
No pain, no gain!
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok thanks for your good advice anakha!

I might see if I can just pry the rocker cover up (without completely dismantling everything) and pluck out the large piece, then hope it all seals back up with no dramas. If she starts leaking oil afterwards I'll go ahead and fit a new gasket.

I'll let you all know if the proverbial hits the fan...

·
Super Moderator
3,754 Posts
I had to rebuild an engine after I had some transmission work done and the shop involved a) broke the oil filler cap while lifting the engine b) left some in the engine and didn't tell me. Within two weeks the engine locked up. Some bits got caught in the timing chain breaking some links and one of the plastic tensioners. Then the now ground up bits of the oil filler cap blocked the screen on the oil pump screen so the bypass valve opened sucking up the bits of the timing chain locking up the pump. Get it all out and glue it back together so you can be sure you have missed any bits.

·
No pain, no gain!
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's a bit of a worry, Aussiblue...

Well I loosened the rocker cover and plucked out a couple more pieces. I've pieced the old cap together (good tip!) and it's pretty much all out bar a few crumbs... Now I'll just cross my fingers and hope the taxi keeps on ticking (not literally).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts