Ford Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unless you want to read a book, skip to the last paragraph lol.

So here's my deal. My wife has a 97 cougar with a 3.8. She'd had the thing for a few years and had neglected it quite badly. No wash or wax, trash everywhere, letting it just idle for a couple of hours with the AC on waiting for who or whatever. Heck, I think I was the only one who changed her oil since she'd had it. And now she's started talking about a new car.

I can't bring myself to go in debt to a new car for the next 4 to 6 years, so I made her a deal. Me and her would pseudo restore the body and interior together and I'd show her how to take care of it along the way. If she kept it up, then we'd talk about her a new vehicle. She agreed and so far, so good. In fact, now we're almost done, she has decided to just keep the car (it only has 120k miles). And has asked me if I could do a complete restoration and add a little more power to it.

So I'm trying to make a plan for the restoration of this 1997 Mercury Cougar with a 3.8. The body and interior are essentially done, but I could use some advice on the adding power to it. She drove my 94 camaro z28 (it's running at about 330 HP right now) and said that's about what she'd want, but that's a fairly large difference in power. I really want to stay away from forced induction. I just don't trust the things. So any ideas on how to add roughly 130-140 HP to this stock v6?

·
Super Moderator
7,785 Posts
A lot of nitrous? Seriously, the stock 3.8 was only good for about 175 hp, stock, the Z was 275. The 8 cylinder for the Cougar was also 275... and there's more high performance parts for a Ford 5.0 than there is a Ford 3.8.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts