Ford Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
XR8 Owner
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

Currently got a 2030 in my 5L, just wondering if a TFS Stage 2 cam would make more power? (i know it depends on the combo) Would it be worth the effort?

Also does any one know the power range for the TFS cams i couldn't see it anywhere, the 2030 goes to 5500, is the TFS 2 higher again?

Cheers
Simon

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
The TFS 2 is way stronger cam than below Crane cams...Though way less tractable at low rpm...Good stroker cam....

Technical Specificatons for Track Heat Hydraulic Roller Camshafts for 5.0L Ford :

Characteristics Duration
@ .050"
(Degrees) Cam Lift
(Intake/
Exhaust) Valve Lift with
1.6 Rockers
(Intake/Exhaust) Lobe
Separation
(Degrees)
TFS-51402000 Good idle, strong midrange power. Aftermarket intake, heads, and headers recommended. Requires modified mass airflow. Compression ratio: 9.0:1 to 10.5:1.

221 intake/
225 exhaust .312"/.319" .499"/.510" 112
TFS-51402001 Fair idle, good midrange power. 2,500 to 3,000 rpm stall converter or five-speed recommended. Compression ratio: 9.5:1 to 11.0:1.
----------------------------------------------------
tfs ll
224 intake/
232 exhaust .339"/.352" .542"/.563" 112
TFS-51402002 Rough idle, strong top-end power. 3,000 to 3,500 rpm stall converter with 3.90 to 4.11 gears recommended. Compression ratio: 10.0:1 to 11.5:1.
---------------------------------------------------
tfs lll
236 intake/
248 exhaust .359"/.372" .574"/.595" 110

Crane 2030
http://www.cranecams.com/?show=browseParts&lvl=2&prt=5&Vehicle_Type=Auto&Cylinders=8&Engine_Make=FORD-MERCURY&Year=1994&Engine_Size=302 C.I.&partNumber=444221&partType=camshaft

Crane 2031
http://www.cranecams.com/?show=browseParts&lvl=2&prt=5&Vehicle_Type=Auto&Cylinders=8&Engine_Make=FORD-MERCURY&Year=1994&Engine_Size=302 C.I.&partNumber=444225&partType=camshaft

·
'XR Machine'
24 Posts
Hi Simon,
What model XR8 do you have? AU...
I am looking at making a purchase on a CAM myself for an AU XR8, Series 2.
In the process at the moment of researching gear, also.. is your car a manual or auto? Iv'e heard great things about the Crane Cam 2030 & the 2031! Would you be able to offer some feedback in regards to the impact and increase in torque & kw's it made... as im a little unaware with cams?
Any advice or information would be greattly appreciated.
Also, all the best with your enquiry... dont personally think there would be much of an advantage in upgrading. Did you change your roller rockets?
I think i need 1.7, as my car is curretnly running with the 1.6!
Cheers,
Carlos

·
Registered
670 Posts
Yes i think it would make more power. Problem would be Piston to valve clearance. It would suit an engine with better heads and inlet than gt40p's and explorer. I think it would have a basic operating range into the low 6000 area. Second problem is what heads and inlet have you got as they will restrict you. Inlet especially IMO. TFS1 is nice and would make good tractable power over the 2030. I may have gone this way if i had my cam choice again. I'm happy with my cam but you always want more. My problem is the 2031 is as big as i dare go as it needs to be turbo friendly.

Comp Cams have a few nice cams for the 5.0's. they are often overlooked but I'd look here if i didn't put the turbo on.

·
XR8 Owner
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Carlos said:
Hi Simon,
What model XR8 do you have? AU...
I am looking at making a purchase on a CAM myself for an AU XR8, Series 2.
In the process at the moment of researching gear, also.. is your car a manual or auto? Iv'e heard great things about the Crane Cam 2030 & the 2031! Would you be able to offer some feedback in regards to the impact and increase in torque & kw's it made... as im a little unaware with cams?
Any advice or information would be greattly appreciated.
Also, all the best with your enquiry... dont personally think there would be much of an advantage in upgrading. Did you change your roller rockets?
I think i need 1.7, as my car is curretnly running with the 1.6!
Cheers,
Carlos
Hey Carlos,

I have an ed xr8, i had my motor rebuilt, and had the 2030 put in it. with ported e7's and stock manifold it made 137rwkw, when i bolted on an edelbrock performer manifold it made 155rwkw, then roller rockers 167. The 2030 is a good cam, nice idle, but i'm getting new heads soon so while i'm there i thought i'd have a look at another cam.

The 2030 cam uses 1.6 rockers so it might be best to stay with them, because its a fairly high lift cam. The only prob i had was piston to valve clearance.

Good luck
Simon

·
XR8 Owner
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
AU2XLSV8 said:
Yes i think it would make more power. Problem would be Piston to valve clearance. It would suit an engine with better heads and inlet than gt40p's and explorer. I think it would have a basic operating range into the low 6000 area. Second problem is what heads and inlet have you got as they will restrict you. Inlet especially IMO. TFS1 is nice and would make good tractable power over the 2030. I may have gone this way if i had my cam choice again. I'm happy with my cam but you always want more. My problem is the 2031 is as big as i dare go as it needs to be turbo friendly.

Comp Cams have a few nice cams for the 5.0's. they are often overlooked but I'd look here if i didn't put the turbo on.
I have (soon to be) ported gt40p's, and an edelbrock performer manifold, and the usual 65mm tb and 73mm maf

Piston to valve clearance was a problem with the 2030, so i would think it would be fine since i have different pistons now.

might have a look at the comp cams website...

·
Registered
992 Posts
SiKEDXR8 said:
Hey,

Currently got a 2030 in my 5L, just wondering if a TFS Stage 2 cam would make more power? (i know it depends on the combo) Would it be worth the effort?

Also does any one know the power range for the TFS cams i couldn't see it anywhere, the 2030 goes to 5500, is the TFS 2 higher again?

Cheers
Simon
I have a similar grind in my car, but i wouldnt consider it for a daily driver. Mine is a 347, not a 302, which tames the cam considerably over the smaller 302

·
347 cubic power!
171 Posts
Racer said:
I have a similar grind in my car, but i wouldnt consider it for a daily driver. Mine is a 347, not a 302, which tames the cam considerably over the smaller 302
Racer, I understand that you might have the Comp XE274HR cam in your car. If so, I was wondering how it goes and at what RPM does peak power occur (for a 347)?

·
345kw of V8 Windsor Power
2,784 Posts
IMO the TFS 2 is too big for the 5L, although you will probably pick up some peak power, you will need to rev the crap out of it and you will be loosing a lot down low too. The TFS 1 cam would be a far better option IMO, it has less lift compared with the 2030 but more duration. I think the TFS 1 will make more power throughout most of the rev range compared with the 2030 but it probably won't be huge.

·
Registered
992 Posts
slipper said:
Racer, I understand that you might have the Comp XE274HR cam in your car. If so, I was wondering how it goes and at what RPM does peak power occur (for a 347)?
Its a very strong cam, but even in a 347, i wouldn't use it as a daily driver. Its just about perfect for a weekend toy that isnt an all out racer. It peaks just under 6,000

·
methanol injected clevo
1,185 Posts
the 2030's are good for computer compatability (it is difficult to have a serious cam with the EECs and maintain a good idle), my mum's EL GT has a E303 and it's a fantastic cam and retains an agressive idle but initially had hunting problems (surging revs, sometimes stalling).

i've got myself a bennet racing cam with .576" lift for my EFI 347... ill let you guys know how it goes

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
Yep the E303 is still a good cam, Imo more midrange power than 2031..Its just that 2031 is more tractable..But not much...

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
AU2XLSV8 said:

For H.O block the std cam and 1:72 roller rockers is the go, with upgraded springs...Any bigger cam and the power output is too high for block..Or cam is too much for block strength..For a bigger cam to be of an advantage power would be over 500 rwhp...

·
XR8 Owner
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i'm not really sure what to do now?! It looks as if there isn't a point to going to a tfs2, and the tfs1 won't make much more power over the 2030. Any other suggestions or should i keep on going with what i have?

·
347 cubic power!
171 Posts
SiKEDXR8 said:
i'm not really sure what to do now?! It looks as if there isn't a point to going to a tfs2, and the tfs1 won't make much more power over the 2030. Any other suggestions or should i keep on going with what i have?
Simon,

Just remember that my 'ol 302 made 193rwkw with (mildly) ported GT40 heads, explorer inlet manifold, 70mm t/body and the trusty 2030. I still have the same cam in the 347 and in both cases peak power occurs at 5500RPM. Just remember that bigger cams rarely make more torque - they just push the torque peak further up the tacho and that makes more power. That's fine if you don't want bottom end driveability (see post #2, second sentence).

I suggest you just get the heads on first and see what you think. You will eliminate the biggest bottleneck (the E7s) and you can always get a bigger bumpstick installed later.

·
'XR Machine'
24 Posts
Midly ported heads? How much are we looking at, to get similar work done? On a XR8, AU (200kw spec)...
Also, explorer inlet manifold? Cost and where abouts for purchase in Melb??
Is the explorer inlet manifold top of the range, or is there better options out there for bigger bucks, i dont mind paying more for better results??
Does anyone have pics of what these manifolds look like, also..
Silly question, but what does MAF stand for, i have gone blank...
Cheers guys,
Carlos :hy:

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
The Exporer is the same as AU...Its a truck motor except it has different cam...
Go the Edelbrock RPM ll if you use a cam like E303, 2030-31 etc
Or us Edelbrock performer with std cam..Both around $1k each
Seeing Ford got Yella Terra to port GTP heads...Thats what I'd do if I had some.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts