Ford Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello out there..
I've got a couple of questions about 429/460 block..I'm rebuilding the engine and the block I am using has the D2VE heads... which I am going to switch over to the D3VE heads...my question is can I use the D2VE pistons with the D3VE heads...and will the PI intake manifold work with the D3VE..thank you all in advance...

·
Super Moderator
8,596 Posts
There's a difference in profiles in the pistons for each, but that doesn't mean you can't use them. You would need to place Plasti-gage (or something similar) on the top of the piston and install the head (use the old head gasket if you have it to save a few bucks, it's already at crush). I also recommend coring and installing old spark plugs and rolling the shaft to confirm clearance with the plugs and valves.

On a side note, it's my understanding that you can get a higher compression ratio with D2VE heads rather than the D3VE. The heads were altered for emissions controls.

The intake should bolt up, but the PI ports are bigger than the stock. So, while it may look nicer, if the heads are stock, it won't buy you much. Are you looking for better performance or trying to rebuild with what's on hand?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well this is what I have. I've got two engines, one is a 429/460 (DlVE 6015 AA) and the other is just a 460 (DIVE 6015 A2B) and I am planning on rebuilding the 429/460. It came with the D2VE head's, and In all the research I have done thoughs heads aren't the best. And the D3VE heads are much better once they are ported. From what I have read everything is interchangeable. I just want to make sure before I complete the rebuild and slam a piston or bend a valve, you know what I mean. And with the intake, my naghbor has one that he is giving it to me. And that's why I'm asking about the crossover

·
Super Moderator
8,596 Posts
As you states, they are supposed to be interchangeable, but any time you assemble an engine, especially one that has parts that never mated together before, clearances should be checked. It takes a little more time to do, but it's an inexpensive check. I've seen people use play-dough to verify clearance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts