Ford Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an ED XR6 And have done the standard mods such as Crow Cam, 2 1/2 " Exhaust, Ported Throttle Body and plenlum chamber. I was consider installing a varible cam gear that crow cams have and was wondering anyone had done it yet. I think their purpose is that u can modify the valve timing, to move the power band in either the lower or upper rev range and they are also pretty cheap. Also was wondering do you know if there are any aftermarket large throttle bodys for the 4.0 6 engine.
thanks
Ben
QLD

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The cam is an off the shelf one from crow,I am not sure if they supply a different cam for tickford engines but the one i have installed is great. It gives the car more acceleration from about 2500rpm onwards to about 5250rpm and provides a very good strong top end feeling, this may be also be aided by the other mods. But definetly worth the money and easy to install at home.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The cam is an off the shelf one from crow,I am not sure if they supply a different cam for tickford engines but the one i have installed is great. It gives the car more acceleration from about 2500rpm onwards to about 5250rpm and provides a very good strong top end feeling, this may be also be aided by the other mods. But definetly worth the money and easy to install at home.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
U can install a cam without the need for a chip.When the cam was first installed the car ran really rough due different vacumm readings in the map sensor and causing the car to stall. After 200km trip back home the car had retuned itself and the idle was back to normal. The timing was advanced just a tad and now the car runs sweet. You can get your chip rewritten but not its not a must. Most chip guru's just lean off the full load mixture as the ford factory set the computer to run rich up top to keep reliability. A cam will cost about $350 exchange

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is very easy to change the cam on a ford 6 and should take a careful person about 2hrs max. If your not confident to do it yourself don't; obviously you could stuff your engine. But the basics are remove rocker cover, rocker gear and cam gear, but remember to cable tie the timing chain to the cam gear, then remove then old cam then lube up the new cam and reverse the order, obviously there are things to consider such as torque settings when tightening the bolts and making sure the cam and cam gear are at top dead centre postion. The purchase of a ford workshop manual would be reccomended as this breakdown the whole car to the finest bolt, a fee smaller than paying someone to do it for u. And will provide valuable information for future projects

·
Australian Member
255 Posts
kewl..

thanks for that..

hmm
i might actually get someone to install the cam and a chip at the same time sometime soon for my AU

1 - 9 of 9 Posts