Ford Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I will try and describe the problem that I am having to the best of my ability. I have a 2000 Crown Vic P71. A while back the engine started missing. The "idiot light" came on and I had the guy at the zone run the code tester on it. It came up "cylider 4 misfire" so I replaced all 8 of the plugs and coils. The damn thing was still missing so I thought maybe it wasn't getting enough fuel so I replaced the fuel filter (i did the air filter and pcv valve that day too) and it was still missing. I thought maybe a clogged injector. I ran injection cleaner through the fuel several different times. . . nothing. I have put seafoam through it, nothing. I have checked for vacuum leaks and found none. The "idiot light" came on again yesterday so I went down to the zone again and this time it was "cylider 7 misfire". The engine sounds just fine, but when I drive it (especially during slow accelerations) it is clearly missing. I used to get about 300 miles to a full tank, now I am lucky to get 230. I am really stumped on this one and I am not sure what else to check. It may be something easy that I have been overlooking. Does anybody have any suggestions?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Well I have a few ideas. Did you keep the COPs in the same order when you changed out the plugs? Maybe the bad COP from #8 ended up on #7? I would recheck plug torque, put lots of dielectric grease on all the connectors for the COPs and make sure the connectors are all tight. One of mine is held on by a zip-tie cuz the connector is broken and w/o it the damn thing misses sometimes.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
At the time when I replaced all the spark plugs, I also put on 8 new coils ($$$). Believe me, we greased the hell out of them. Not only where the coil comes into contact with the plug, but also where the rubber boot connects to the plastic piece because I had issues with moisture getting in there previously.

Off topic: It's ironic that you are from Michigan because my P71 came from a MSP auction.

·
Registered
34 Posts
OUCH! 8 new coils cost as much as the car. My p71 is a MSP unit too. Have you tried cleaning the MAF and EGR sensors yet? That made mine run a lot better...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually, thats one thing I have never done. Where are they located at specifically? I am not really too familiar with this 4.8L engine to be honest. I think the MAF sensor is right up near the air intake, but I am not sure. I have more experience with the older ford motors like the 2.9L found in the Ranger and Bronco II. When I got this car, I was in way over my head.

Also, what type of cleaner do you recommend that I use? Most of the time I just clean these type of parts in some gasoline.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Well you are right about the MAF, its inline between the airbox and the throttle body, but closer to the airbox. The EGR is attached to the back of the throttle body with 4 screws. Also blow out the egr passages (extra lines coming off of the intake tube) with air as they can become clogged. Use electronic parts cleaner. Anything else will ruin the MAF I think.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We took off the MAF and blew it with some compressed air. I was affraid to really do too much with the EGR because I know how expensive they are to replace, maybe the whole thing is bad, but I would have expected to get computer codes if it was.

I am starting to think there is something wrong with the vacuum system after all. Me and a friend of mine took the vacuum lines off one by one and examined them, but couldnt find anything. We put everything back together and the car is still experiencing the same misfiring.

I know it is losing preasure because after I turn the car off the heater vent doesnt close like it is supposed to, and then when I turn the car back on I hear it slam shut under the dash and it never used to do that.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Some new info to shed on the situation. I got ahold of the mechanic I sent the car to last time and I discovered the idiot put carb cleaner in through the intake in an attempt to "remove carbon" from the throttle body. This was shortly after I replaced the plugs and coils the last time.

I spoke with a friend of mine today and he said that putting carb cleaner in the air intake more than likely "fouled out" one or more of the plugs and by replacing the spark plugs (again) it should take care of the misfiring. He then said if it persists, to look into replacing the EGR and/or MAP sensors.

Any ideas or comments before I go down to the zone (again) and spend more $$$.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Well the carb cleaner is not OK for the coating on your tb. I'm not sure if it would foul your plugs or not but that can be easily checked before you run out and get new plugs. You are correct that the EGR is easy to mess up, but they are actually not too much to replace. They don't always give you a code, though.

I check for vacuum leaks with a bottle of starting fluid or carb/tb cleaner. I just spray it anywhere I want to check. This has helped me solve more than one unknown problem.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I finally got around to replacing the EGR with a brand new one today and the damn car is still missing under light acceleration and between 40 and 50 mph. This is starting to anger me. I don't know what to do now besides take it in to a profressional and I don't have the extra $ laying around at the moment.

I am not really sure what else could be causing this. Perhaps I should just invest in some new hoses and replace all of them. I heard that a small pinhole in one of the vaccum hoses could cause a problem similar to what I am experiencing.

·
Registered
26 Posts
take it easy Mr. Deeplist... I think your problem is one of these:
-A bad COP----------------first likely
-A bad COP connection----second likely
-Clogged fuel injectors----Third likely
-Crappy gasoline----------Fourth likely

Check the COPs for any cracks on the side, if you find one its faulty and needs replacing. Also, try switching the COPs around and see if you find a pattern with the misfiring cylinders. Try checking the connectors too.

When I clean fuel injectors I buy LucasOil Fuel injector cleaner(it comes in small and big clear bottles.) Now, instead of pouring it into the fuel tank, remove the fuel injectors and place them in a little bowl where they may be submerged in the fuel injector cleaner(if you can, remove the external dirt with an old t-shirt but don't use any cleaning agents.) Leave them in the bowl marinating for as long as you can. (I usually leave them in for 24 hours, you need to give the product time to break down the sludge inside.) After that, remove the fuel injectors one by one and dry them off with an old t-shirt. Put them back on and turn it on!
Note. the fuel injectors are filled with oil and the engine will burn it initially, so don't get scared by the smoke coming out of the tailpipe!

Gasoline can cause a misfiring but not a location specific misfiring.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I certainly appreciate the reply. All 8 of the COPs are brand new. I replaced the spark plugs at the same time. I replaced the EGR last week, the "vacuum leak" seemed to disappear but it didn't really help with the missing.

Last Sunday I bought some of the lucas stuff that you were referring to. I dumped it into the fuel tank and then refilled. So far I have drove down about ¼ of the tank and I can notice a HUGE difference. I have pretty much come to the conclusion that the missing was caused by clogged injectors or bad gasoline like you mentioned. Maybe I should use another station. About 90% of the time I use Speedway gasoline and I always put Premium in there.

I'll drive down the rest of this tank and see how it goes. I may have to take your advice and remove the injectors and clean them externally (especially since I can't afford brand new ones just yet).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Okay, I will try and describe the problem that I am having to the best of my ability. I have a 2000 Crown Vic P71. A while back the engine started missing. The "idiot light" came on and I had the guy at the zone run the code tester on it. It came up "cylider 4 misfire" so I replaced all 8 of the plugs and coils. The damn thing was still missing so I thought maybe it wasn't getting enough fuel so I replaced the fuel filter (i did the air filter and pcv valve that day too) and it was still missing. I thought maybe a clogged injector. I ran injection cleaner through the fuel several different times. . . nothing. I have put seafoam through it, nothing. I have checked for vacuum leaks and found none. The "idiot light" came on again yesterday so I went down to the zone again and this time it was "cylider 7 misfire". The engine sounds just fine, but when I drive it (especially during slow accelerations) it is clearly missing. I used to get about 300 miles to a full tank, now I am lucky to get 230. I am really stumped on this one and I am not sure what else to check. It may be something easy that I have been overlooking. Does anybody have any suggestions?
Sounds like a intake leak

·
Super Moderator
965 Posts
Like stated above you’re replying to a 13 year old thread with members that are no longer active.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts