Ford Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The cruise control on my 94 LX 3.8 appears to be temperature sensitive. When the car has been parked in the Central Florida sun all day, and the cabin temperature exceeds 95 degrees, the cruise works perfectly. When the cabin temperature is cooler, the cruise will not work at all. Am I looking at a brake light switch problem, a clock spring issue or a steering wheel switch problem? Don't want to throw money at the problem, but I do want to fix the issue. The car went for about a year and was not driven very much. 68,000 miles on the clock.

·
Super Moderator
8,296 Posts
Well, inside the car there's only the clock spring and the speed control switch, Switch continuity should be easier to check for continuity.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Brake switch appears to operate normally. It is a little sensitive though. Slightest pedal movement turns on the brake lights.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's not the brake light switch. Installed new one. Still same issue. I'm leaning toward the clock spring. Cruise switches work perfectly when the cruise works. Has to be above 90f in cabin for it to work.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
New problem. No one seems to have the correct clock spring for a 94. 95 through 97 are different. Anyone have a spare for sale?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
everything points to the cruise switches. Everything is okay under the driver's fender. all vacuum lines are intact and not hard. The brake light switch is new, as is the clock spring. I even went so far as to isolate the vacuum dump valve from the system. The cruise still works when the cabin temp is high. Today, I was able to get the cruise to engage so long as I held the set button down hard, but as soon as it was released, the cruise fell out. Finally, the cruise set and stayed engaged. I'm about at my wits end on this. The 94 does not have ABS, nor does it have the pedal position switch. All that is attached to the pedal are the brake switch and vacuum dump valve. There is nothing attached to the Booster either. I'd give a bunch if this car had an indicator lamp that told if the cruise was on as the later models did.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Went back through the system again yesterday just to check everything. Used dielectric grease on all the connections for everything that plugs into the ECM. Hopefully this will be the last time this problem arises. Now to deal with the tail lamp billboard problem where one side is brighter than the other.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts