Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
100% Speeding (when safe)
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did you see on the TV just then that last month during the police work bans in Victoria, where they said they wont issue infringments, there were actually 50% more fines, and 400% more people who lost their licence!!.
Some people were obviously going a bit faster, but i notice even with this there was of course no more crashes!!, no extra deaths, you get my drift!!. More money for them, no more crashes, and we were gettng around a bit quicker.

This annoys me!!
What is it with speeding tickets, It acually causes only 2-3 % of crashes, yet the cops target it in probably 70% of cases, what about not giving way!!, what about people that cant see, etc, It s just the easiest way for them to make money.

What do you wreckon?

·
CEO - The BSR Group
4,400 Posts
Sadly, as long as it's creating "easy money", the excrement we know as politicians will keep it running as long as they can. Simple as that. Money making wrapped in a hypocritical veil of "Road Safety"... :fmad:

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
I reckon the cops dont get the money and it all goes into consolidated revenue so accusing the cops of trying to raise more revenue for themselves is wrong.

As far as more people speeding not casuing deaths .. well more people got caught does that mean that more people got away with speeding (and lived to tell the tale ) or more people were silly enough to believe that it was a free for all on the roads and got busted ?? the argument goes both ways.

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
Speed is chased by the poliuticians and cops because it's easy to enforce with hi tech equipment. Unroadworthy cars are far more labour intensive to catch and would reap less revenue.

A close friend of the family is a long time member of the ACT Parliament (still current). They made it quite clear at a dinner we had at home that even before they introduced the speed cameras parliament had evaluated the revenue and budgeted for it. The revenue achieved to date has even exceeded their own expectations!

Problem with cameras etc is it takes away the ability of the police to evaluate, apply discretion, and take in the whole situation of the offence. I spped like a b*stard splitting a bank robbery most of the time and I'm still here so go figure.

To the pollies and highway patrol - get stuffed! Wake up and smell the Optimax!

·
Tickford Ruled; FPV Rocks
1,457 Posts
AMEN Aussie Pete! It's not speed that kills per se, it's inappropriate speed for the conditions that kill. Instead of focussing on the mechanical roadworthiness of cars, fundamental driver training and sh**ty roads, the politician scum take the easy option and make a killing (no pun intended). I reckon keep the current posted limits but allow a residential 15km/h buffer (i.e. fine only those caught above 75 in a 60 zone), and a 20 km/h buffer on freeways/highways (i.e. fine those above 130 in a 110 zone etc). Then people would'nt fall asleep on the highway. Pollies don't care about the public. They allow pokies (which ruin heaps of people who get hooked not to mention their families) cos of the tax revenue. They also take the easy option with road safety whilst watching the money pour in. As long as the fundamentals of road safety are ignored (the quality of cars and roads, thorough driver training, drink driving) people will continue to die. Speed cameras do jacksh*t for road safety.

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
Sh*tty roads aren't an issue. Good drivers should adapt to the conditions presented to them. The roads are an issue for the sake of my car though - not good for alloy rims around parts of Sydney.

·
1,457 Posts
BTW, forgot to say that I 100% support the cops in regards to drink driving, which is a curse on the roads. But fining people on busy arterial roads that do not have body counts, or even figure as accident blackspots and which tend to be flat (or even downhill), for exceeding an artificially low limit by all of 5 km/h, in order fund politicians wages and super, quite simply, makes me want to vomit.
I read in motor mag that a physics professor said that you're safer on the road keeping up with the natural flow of the traffic, rather than just sitting religiously on a given posted limit (thus providing a moving obstacle for others). Moreover if a downpour hits hard and a road gets partially flooded or overly slippery am I safer blindly sticking to the posted limit or rather driving to the conditions which means possibly slowing to a speed lower than that posted. As I said previously, driving for the conditions can work both ways. Speed limits should be advisory rather than gospel truth and a buffer should be incorporated in the fining process as I previously stated.

Sorry for crapping on but as a car lover who lives for driving, this is something I'm passionate about.

·
1,457 Posts
Aussie Pete said:
Sh*tty roads aren't an issue. Good drivers should adapt to the conditions presented to them. The roads are an issue for the sake of my car though - not good for alloy rims around parts of Sydney.
By sh*tty roads I mean blackspots, and I assert that they are an issue. Since almost anyone can get a licence with relative ease in this country, consequently not all drivers on our roads are 'good'. Moreover, since the governments are robbing drivers blindly, then the least they could do is pour some money back into the roads so as to prevent some of the abovementioned not 'good' drivers out there from having accidents on roads where their meagre skill quickly sees them out of their depth. I stand by my reasoning.

·
BSR
2,279 Posts
HP Dude said:
AMEN Aussie Pete! It's not speed that kills per se, it's inappropriate speed for the conditions that kill. Instead of focussing on the mechanical roadworthiness of cars, fundamental driver training and sh**ty roads, the politician scum take the easy option and make a killing (no pun intended). I reckon keep the current posted limits but allow a residential 15km/h buffer (i.e. fine only those caught above 75 in a 60 zone), and a 20 km/h buffer on freeways/highways (i.e. fine those above 130 in a 110 zone etc). Then people would'nt fall asleep on the highway. Pollies don't care about the public. They allow pokies (which ruin heaps of people who get hooked not to mention their families) cos of the tax revenue. They also take the easy option with road safety whilst watching the money pour in. As long as the fundamentals of road safety are ignored (the quality of cars and roads, thorough driver training, drink driving) people will continue to die. Speed cameras do jacksh*t for road safety.

mmm .....inappropriate speeds for the conditions. So if the conditions are perfect. What should the speed be????

I have seen many people killed in late model, well maintained cars killed in what could be described as perfect conditions.

Dickheads dont just drive unroadworthy vehicles........:rolleyes:

This is something that usually effects me everytime i go to work, just wish i had some answers.........i am continously amased how bad some people are on our roads:eek:

Safe driving

·
1,457 Posts
I am not saying that it's fine for people to drive as fast as they want. Never have, never will. I would not excuse someone hooning at 150 km/h down any residential/suburban road. And yes dickheads come in all shapes and sizes and drive all types of cars.

Did you read everything else i wrote in my posts?

As i stated, a speed limit should be advisory and anything more than 15km/h in excess of that posted limit should be subject to a punishment, etc. But nabbing people for being barely 5km/h over the limit on a nice stretch of road and then arguing that you are saving lives is an absolute load of BS and a disgrace. And this is exactly what governments are doing.

Obviously people are still dying are they not? All people do is look out for the cameras, slow down as they pass, and then speed up down the road. How is that addressing the road toll. Road safety does not lend itself to a singular solution, it's a multifaceted issue. I completely disagree with the politicisation of speed as a means of revenue raising.

·
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
LOOK HERE

If we are driving down a city street in the rain, 60 zone, heaps of people, 60 is too fast!!, maybe 40 is more appropriate, but you wont get a ticket for dangerously driving at 60. Thats crazy, and arent there often pedestrians killed here?

But on a fantastic interstate road, with guard rails both sides, no traffic, no pedestrians, its also a 100 or 110 zone, but no one has or even could kill themselves, (nothing to hit), the weather and surface a perfect, and you cant do 120kmh.

On roads not even as good, but with guard rails both sides, overseas there is no speed limit, and as there is nothing to hit, well whats there to hit?

IF THERE IS NOTHING TO HIT IT DOESNT MATTER HOW FAST YOU HIT IT YOU HAVENT HIT ANYTHING!!!
obviously if there is something to hit, you drive to the conditions.

There has to be some type of police judgement involved, I think.

Hows this, On the way to adelaide from Geelong the 2 way roads are nice and wide, and 100 zone, them you get to SA, same road conditions, and its 110. So its safe in SA but not in Vic?

Drive to the conditions, I SAY
And get a radar detector!!

·
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Look at this speed, and its safe doing it!!
This is cruising from Paris to Frankfurt.

Attachments

·
Aus ls1 *********
89 Posts
Careful guys

"What is it with speeding tickets, It acually causes only 2-3 % of crashes, yet the cops target it in probably 70% of cases, what about not giving way!!, what about people that cant see, etc, It s just the easiest way for them to make money. " ED MANUAL

What figures are you basing that statement on? Speeders are the most common law breakers. Speeders are also a lot easier to target effectively as most of the time you can be anywhere and find one. People failing to give way and others require an eager eye and are not as common.

"I reckon the cops dont get the money and it all goes into consolidated revenue so accusing the cops of trying to raise more revenue for themselves is wrong. " XA COUPE

Spot on. Do you think I'd be taking a day off if I got paid the amount of the infringement notice.

"To the pollies and highway patrol - get stuffed! Wake up and smell the Optimax!" Aussie Pete.

Pete I only use Optimax :)

"LOOK HERE

If we are driving down a city street in the rain, 60 zone, heaps of people, 60 is too fast!!, maybe 40 is more appropriate, but you wont get a ticket for dangerously driving at 60. Thats crazy, and arent there often pedestrians killed here? " Ed Manual.

Wanna bet that they wouldn't get booked. Its called Speed Dangerous. You can be charged doing 50 in a 60 if it was dangerous to those around. Or 55 on a freeway, (obviously dangerous).

Lets remember it is ultimately us as citizens who make the rules. We elect the government who simply express our thoughts (Bull****) within parliament. I dont want to preach to you guys but any fool can drive a car. Lets face it you could train a monkey to do it. It comes down to driver training, driver awareness and others. Take either of those two component to name ony two,
to cause severe grief.
1500 odd plus kilos of metal at any speed is an accident waiting to happen.

·
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for your reply HRT8

("I reckon the cops dont get the money and it all goes into consolidated revenue so accusing the cops of trying to raise more revenue for themselves is wrong. " XA COUPE

Spot on. Do you think I'd be taking a day off if I got paid the amount of the infringement notice. ) HRT8

I know the cash goes to the governement, but the police is a government department, and its government run, and therefore its government policy to book people.

"Wanna bet that they wouldn't get booked. Its called Speed Dangerous. You can be charged doing 50 in a 60 if it was dangerous to those around. Or 55 on a freeway, (obviously dangerous)." HRT8

But if nearly every car is doing 50 in a 60, and its dangerous, there is no way you could book them all? You might get one or two, and a speed camera wouldn't get any. And the opposite is true on great safe roads, you can book everyone easily, the speed camera can too, but it wasn't dangerous in the first place. THis is what i mean about some sort of real SAFTEY type police discretion.

anyway,

The TAC ads need to show that its not that if you stay at the speed limit youll be safe, but you have to drive to the conditions.
Most people would think doing 60 in a 60 zone would be safe no matter whats going on, and that they cant be caught, TAC ads should show this, and more so that its dangerous depending on conditions.

Also i do have statistics on the amount of crashes where speed is the contributing factor, That means, over speed limit, not driving to fast for conditions but under the speed limit
There is much talk from TAC and police that about perhaps 30% of crahses are being caused by speed, but when you take out the other faults, like failing to give way, take out the drunk drivers who are driving too fast, take out the reports where the police say 'speed to fast for conditions, even though under speed limit', take out 'fatique' and the figure is about 2 to 3 %. Not much really.
Thats the true figure, and these include still people driving too fast for conditions, but over the speed limit, (eg, didnt brake for corner) and where there were underperforming cars. Or where the police coulnt think of any other reason for the crash.
If people drove to the conditions, speed is no problem whatsoever.

These figures come from a report from RAC and their crash data

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Okay it just p*ssed sdown rain here in Canberra. On the way home the hiway was wet with water/mud running across the road. I was in 4WD and still slipping, crap tyres. Sitting on 80km/h,100km/h zone, where I could I watched as some fool zipped in and out of the traffic. Where the road got a bit dryer I increased my speed to about 90km/h and watched the bloke pull away like I was standing still. I admit that I was going faster then most other people at the time but I drive for a living, aware of the conditons and was in 4wd which helps braking as well as acceleration. But when I saw water on the road I backed off.

·
1,457 Posts
That's what a good driver does; alter their style to suit the prevailing conditions, thus demonstrating safe driving, for eg. slowing down in the wet, Think about, if your altering your speeds constantly to suit road/weather conditions in order to drive safely, your paying attention and less likely to make other mistakes, i.e. fail to give way, fall asleep on highways after 2 hrs etc. That's the reason why posted limits should be seen as guides, and not a safety blanket i.e. i'm doing 60 in a 60 zone, that means i'm safe, bugger what else is goin on. Speed cameras only encourage this mentality

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I can't and wont say I am the best driver. I drive bit quicker then the limit when I feel it is safe and I have fallen asleep at the wheel, I might post photos in the showroom of my Mazda if anyone wants to see what happens when you fall asleep at the wheel. But I am a safer driver now then I was 2 years ago.

Photos of before and after in the showroom under asian FORD/Mazda.

·
1,457 Posts
I agree; anyone who says they're the best driver is arrogant and talking through their arse. And I would never say I was either. I recently drove from Melbourne to Sydney. About two hours into the trip I started slowly drifting off (heavy eyes etc.) I was religiously sticking to 100-110km/h and getting bored out of my brain. Reltively low artifical speed compared to the conditions i was driving in; little traffic around and nice dry, smooth divided roads. I was gonna pull over as I'm not ready to become a statistic but as an experiment I began speeding up to about 120-130 klicks. Voila! Drowsiness gone and happily continued on my way at a speed that felt more realistic. When I got over the border and faced roads that were undivided and more winding, i eased back to 100-110 (cos that's what felt right at that particular time). When i hit divided roads, back to 120-130. I arrived in Sydney fresh as a daisy and alive. Likewise the return trip. That's what i see driving to suit conditions is all about.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts