Ford Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
.au member
2,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I think its a virus anyway but I dont have a clue, so hopefully someone here can point me in the direction of how to fix up my pc.

Ive got Win XP Home, it all loads up ok and all that, just that the icons on my desktop dont work, and my computer and my documents refuse to open at all. My virus scanner says there is no virus, but a friend who sent me a music file on MSN (and i sent him one) said he has one - TROJ_IMSERV.C .

So any ideas or suggestions on how to get the thing back to normal?

·
Ride like the Wind
631 Posts
have you got the latest virus pattern for your software? If not then get that. If it still says that there is no virus then get different software and check again. Never hurts to have a backup scanner just to be sure. I use a free one called AVG which can be found here: www.grisoft.com

·
Registered
904 Posts
for trojans try ad-aware 6.0 which can be found at http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/

also if your virus scanner isnt detecting it, it probably isnt updated- look around to see if it's got any options for that, if not, get another scanner.

also if you're keen, here's directions to a place to take a look at

in the start menu, choose 'run' and type msconfig
in the box that pops up, choose the last tab along the top "startup"

this is a list of programs that launch when windows starts up. sure there will be legitimate ones, but viruses usually hide here.

you could uncheck them all and windows would be ok, but just take a look for any suspicious ones

·
.au member
2,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the help guys, the 'run' command wont work, just like my docs and my comp - can click on them but they never come up and open.

Am getting adaware now, getting lots of popups so hopefully it'll fix that much at least.

·
Ride like the Wind
631 Posts
I thought that the virus "msblast" rendered desktop icons useless and stuff. anyhow definetely get another virus scanner though. Free ones work fine. Also if you hit
ctrl-alt-del and bring up the task manager then go to processes there should be a list of programs that are running. anything that has a weird name with letters and numbers in it close that down.
SMSS.exe, CSRSS.EXE, WINLOGON.exe, SERVICES.exe,LSASS.exe svchost.exe, explorer.exe are all usually system processes so don't close them.

·
.au member
2,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks again for the help guys, this is getting quite strange! I have Norton Corporate Edition 2004, updated it all last night using LiveUpdate, did it 3 times just to make sure!

Let it scan the whole computer - nothing found. Adaware 6 killed off about 140 files, so that's made a big difference.

But the wierdest thing of all - the 'My Documents' Folder is effectively tripling in size every 3 seconds, till it reaches about 7GB. It originally had maybe 1000 files in there (mostly mp3s), i right clicked on its properties and in the space of about 3 seconds it went from 1000 or so to around 3.8 million. :fraz: . Using Windows Media Player i was able to see whats inside it, and there's nothing unusual in there, just to make sure I scanned the My Docs folder itself, and nothing was found.

I'm all outta ideas, everything bar My Documents works and no viruses have been found - I'm running scans every hour and updating every time im online.

So what now?!

·
Whats traction?
2,197 Posts
Doesn't sound like any virus I know of. The only thing I could suggest is a trojan may be there and the weird stuff happening is being caused by some moron cracker.

I'd suggest getting whatever anti-virus software your mate is running.

·
Lord of the RC
2,515 Posts
Not always... best to get a proper trojan killing program for that sort of stuff
Just do a search on google for one, or just format the Hard Drive, that is if you have it in partitions so you dont lose your mp3's and stuff

Cheers

Chris

·
.au member
2,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cheers for the help guys.

Sorted out my docs, its not doubling on itself anymore, so the reading of files and size is accurate, just still cant access it or My Computer - the icons wont work.

Some do, games do, so it seems to be only those 2 that Im having trouble with. I'll try a trojan killer now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts