Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Abuser of Charvels
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I ordered my XR8 on October 29 or 30, pretty simple, all I wanted from factory was black, manual and premium sound, then tinting, scuff plates etc from dealer. Was given a 6 week turn around at the time, and was happy with that as the turbo was 3 months they said.

Right on December 1 it 'appeared' in the dealers computer so it was officially on it's way so to speak. Before this he said it takes about 2 weeks from when it enters the system to being finished so we were looking right on for the delivery time except the computer said dealer delivery would be the 23rd. Fair enough.

I'm not the pushiest person and the dealer said he would let me know if anything changed, as we were both hoping the date would change to a little bit earlier to get it all done before Christmas. Thus, when people askes me if there was any more news I would tell them 'nope'. Have you talked to the dealer to get more news? 'nope'. They all can't beleive I've got a $50 000 car on order and am being so casual about. I figure hey, what can the dealer do, if there's no news, there's no news and that's that.

Anyway, disgusted with my 'walk all over me' attitude (someone else's words) a friend mentioned a relative that works at Ford so I geve them the Sido number I got from the dealer (who told me it was useless to me but I still got it) and 'apparently' my car is still in paint and expected delivery is January 16th!!! And this person at Ford has no vested interest in keeping me happy so said honestly I shouldn't hold my breath for that date either.

This was yesterday and I was very unhappy. So looking forward to getting my car late next week or so, want to show relos at Xmas etc and am sick of driving my XF around. Putting petrol in that car is killing me.

Anyway, I rang 13FORD for the first time and gave them the Sido and they too spoke to the factory and Jan 16th is still the time and yes, it's still in paint atm. He asked for my name and dealer etc too.

I decided to ring the salesman to see if he gave me the wrong Sido or if the delivery time has changed but he was busy and has still not returned my call. This is the longest he hasn't returned a call before.

While cranky last night I also put a call out on drive.com to dealers to see if anybody has a black Xr8 in manaul with premium in stock. I don't think my dealer did that at order time, they certainly didn't mention they looked for one somewhere else in the country. I would have thought it would have been an easy configuration but lots of autos are out there. A lot of the emails didn't work and no luck so far.

I know Jan 16 will come around eventually but it's another month from now. If I find a car somewhere else can I cancel my order? I signed something at the time of order but it will be a lease car so I don't think anything has been paid, just that the finance is ok. I want this car so bad I can taste it.

·
Lamahs approve of manuals
1,382 Posts
I think at this point, your probably fairly much locked in. Read the contract, but unless they have some sort of clause about late delivery (which I doubt, and if so, I doubt it would be this short), your hanging in there.

That said, it is a perfect opportunity to start winging to the dealer (the higher up the better). Get your story straight (what you were told, how it was incorrect, what you did to verify it etc etc) and have a moan. You won't get the car any faster, but they might just offer you some free gear as a consolation (well to shut you up ;) ). This maybe mats, scuff plates that kind of thing. If nothing else it keeps you amused for a while ;)

·
Abuser of Charvels
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanx for replying.

Well, I have asked around myself and nobody does seem to have what I am after, so many cars are autos.

My salesman is very aware of my needs now and has offered a Vixen XR8 they have in stock. It has leather, which they will give me as a $500 extra only if I want it. I am VERY tempted to do this. Though I just realised that Vixen paint costs $315 less than Silhoutte....hmmm...

·
FF Town Sheriff
1,165 Posts
think of it this way, least you'll have a 2004 compliance.......even better.

·
X-DM!!
1,114 Posts
Genebaby said:
Thanx for replying.

Well, I have asked around myself and nobody does seem to have what I am after, so many cars are autos.

My salesman is very aware of my needs now and has offered a Vixen XR8 they have in stock. It has leather, which they will give me as a $500 extra only if I want it. I am VERY tempted to do this. Though I just realised that Vixen paint costs $315 less than Silhoutte....hmmm...
Mate, stick with your original car you ordered. I waited over 6 months for my XR8 ute and to wait another month or so to get exactly what you want is worth it. Hang in there. As philbie says, 2004 plates are'nt such a bad thing.

·
gone
10,402 Posts
Damm people

I really dont know how you can do it?

I have always worked on the principal, Go in Monday and pick it up on Tuesday!

I must admit, i have been lucky to find cars on the lot ready to go!

·
Banned
106 Posts
I orderd my XR8 ute on the 18th of sepember and picked it up at the end of october.But mine was basicly standard.But my mate had to wait 6 mths for his fairmont ghia.

·
Registered
336 Posts
genebaby

hang in there, it is worth the wait for the car you wanted.... don't be impatient, if you initially wanted the Silhoutte, you will always still want that colour... all good things come to those who wait... trust me, I've been there... :)

infact I have the quiet displeasure of puting my XR8 Ute to sleep for 3 weeks... 3 weeks overseas without my car... its gonna hurt... I might just go and sit in her for a few hours tonight... spend some quality time with her before we part.... I have promised her a little visit to Herrods on my return to make it up to her...

·
Abuser of Charvels
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
These cars are that awesome aren't they? They just invoke so much passion in us as owners (or owners-to-be). Everybody just loves sitting in theirs!!

I gotta tell ya, the idea of red and leather is growing on me. Red is one of my fave colours, I love red guitars. I am thinkin' of talkin' a deal on a red one. I wanna go cruisin' over the holidays. I must be a weak person, the lure of the XR8 is too much.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Hang in there Gene!! Be patient and wait for the car you ordered. If you do this it may pay to stipulate to your dealer that you will not accept it unless it's an '04 complianced car. If it isnt you may be able to haggle for some extras such as 5 x 18" rims etc.

I can understand why you're tempted though.

·
Abuser of Charvels
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't know if I can!!!.....I remember him pointing out when I was signing up that I'll be getting a 03 plated car, they are very leary of such things and it being October and being told six weeks I was like, yeah, sure, sounds cool.

The waiting would have been ok if I'd known at the time. Back then it was, Turbos are 3 months, so I was glad I wanted the 8 anyway as it was half the time. Six weeks was the other day, yesterday was my wedding Anniversary, was hoping to have it by then, then Christmas and the holidays. I planned to have the car by now. Getting it this Friday would be perfect.

Red is nice. :)

·
RACE
2,950 Posts
That's a hell of a wait for an XR8! There are XR8's around dealer land in Sydney and I can't understand why one was not found sooner or built November.

Genebaby I'll see what I can find out for you.

·
Abuser of Charvels
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanx Ratt. All it needs is black and premium sounds. I don't think anybody will want to do me a deal on a car with sunroof and leather located somewhere else.

Vic

ps. Do you like the band Ratt? Ever heard of them?

·
FF Moderator
2,202 Posts
Genebaby,

I to have an XR8 on order, but unlike you was clearly told when ordering that December and January builds for XR's were totally booked out, so it will be built in February sometime. This information came from the dealer and then later ina letter from Ford themselves advising me of the delay.

Cheers,
Colville

·
Abuser of Charvels
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I got nothing like that and had to find out myself the car was massively delayed. But, to their credit, once I made it obvious I was looking to get a car now, on time, they have been helpful.

The end of the saga has me getting the XR8 in Vixen, with the addition of leather and 18" rims, for a little bit more, which I am VERY happy about. I love the 18's but would never have ended up getting them afterwards, so getting them on the car is great. Also a bonus for when I get it lowered, having the 18's on there.

It's gonna be a great Christmas after all.

But yeah, had I been told things different I probably would have had another car by now. Sometimes it doesn't pay to be nice.

·
THE PHANTOM
251 Posts
It makes you angry and ruins the whole experience when dealers spin you a yarn. I was told there was car already built to my specs and in the Ford holding yard waiting to be transported. This was just before Christmas last year. Then came January, so I rang the dealer who checked for me and said according to the computer the delivery date had been moved for some reason. I got fed up with this after a while, got the sido and rang Ford. Guess what, the car wasn't even started. I rang a couple more times to check progress, and it was then to be tested by FPV, which was another joke after the things that were wrong with it after delivery. Their "testing" added another 2-3 weeks to the delivery. Total time was app. 7 weeks from order. Not bad for a car the dealer told me was already built. They threw in a heap of accessories to "make up" for the inconvenience.
I also got them to guarantee in writing the trade-in value of my current drive.
It turned out the vehicle I had signed for was re-assigned to some else, (even though my new lease was being organised asap and well within the earliest delivery date) after assuring me that this car was mine and no-one elses, and it would be near the first in S.A.
They'll say anything to make you feel on top of the world at the time of signing. From there on it is just a decline. Imagine how I felt when I told the head salesperson that the interior was not the right colour, and he just said "bad luck theres not really anything I can do about it". And all this was after he told me it was my fault because I didn't order the right colour. Too bad it was on the contract. I was simply infuriated. Some of the guys are helpful, but the senior staff soon retrain the young guys as to how it works.
I still get fired up about it nearly a year later (incase you hadn't guessed).

·
Abuser of Charvels
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Too right mate. This is a huge purchase, it's very emotional and the last thing we need is BS all over the deal!!!

I am quite happy and excited now, but only after making myself heard. I sat around and waited, and wasn't getting the correct info.

Just wanna get in the car and drive now.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts