Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
A Fully Sick " Can't "
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:rant:
I am really starting to get sick of this. And I must vent my anger.

After calming down from the $3800 quote for insurance on the EL XR6 I deicde OK, I will just have to drive mums EA Fairmont. God damn I don't care I wont drive anything, but I am not going to pay almost 4 gorillas.

ANyways, go down to Ford, in Melton and get a quote for mums EA, on my name etc etc. They say just under $500 OK, its done. Now I can have a car when I'm 18 (very soon now mwuahahahah).
We strike up a deal and he starts entering it into the computer, then says oops, it's actually $1550. The quote is not calculated on the youngest driver, but policy is. That's it I was ready to blow up. That ain't happening, that's almost how much the car is worth damn it.

So that's it, I am not geting insurance, if the stupid companies want to rip me off they can go 'hrm hrm hrm hrmmm' themselves for all I care. I tell ya that is plain 'hrmmm hrm hrmmm hrmm' to charge me that much. I can't even drive a decent car until 25 for fear of it being wrecked etc. because paying for insurance will kill me.

:chainsaw: :beatup: :bash:

Sorry guys, it's either telling it hear, or killing someone.
Thanks

·
{';'}
4,345 Posts
Obviously that's for full comp.? Here in Melbourne, I only bothered with third party fire and theft, as it would have cost me over a grand to insure a stock ED Falcon! Bah. My second year with AAMI and I am only paying $394 which isn't too bad. I'd have another look around.

·
Faster than Zyrtec
2,105 Posts
The quote will always be higher if the car is in your name, its cheaper to have it in your folks name usually.

I know it sucks, but there isnt too much to be said, the premium is there for a reason, the vast majoirity of young drivers have some form of accident when they get out there on the roads.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Insurance companies are smart arses now and calculate the policy based on the youngest driver and not who even is owner or considered 'first driver'.

I'd still get 3rd party if I was you mate. You'd be fcuked if you smashed into a house, expensive cars like Ferarri Enzos etc. Heh, alright maybe not that hardcore, but still happens.

·
In a blue Galaxy
5,716 Posts
Ive got an AU1 XR8 un my old girls name on my P's and it was around $1150. I had an EL XR6 exactly like yours, white with EL GT rims before that under my mums name for about $950. As long as your parents are rating 1 you should be fine. This is through RACV, so ring them and see what they can do for you.

·
BA Fairmont ZL Fairlane
3,293 Posts
my insurance for a 1 year old AU at the time was just under $550 for a 22yo, clean record. that was rating 2, first time insurance. dropped the front 1.5 inches and the back 2 inches and told them and got my policy voided straight away. they considered it to be a "hotrod" 3 months later and still no insurance i decided to go back to the place that lowered my car and told them about it. they got straight onto Ford Australia and their own mother company and come to the conclusion that being a base model it was actually made higher than the average model so therefore it was never really lowered 2 inches at the back (on paper anyway). they rang up RACV and told them and i went straight in and got served by the manager and he appologised and then told me that the policy was $10 more than last time so i said to him that youve already cost me over $100 by voiding the policy in the first place. his response was this: "im the manager here, how does rating 1 sound then?"
SWEET! after only 3 weeks of actuall insurance i got put onto rating 1 and was paying only around $500 for a 1 year old car that was lowered, tinted, 17inch alloys, and a $2500 stereo system. im not complaining...and the premium was only $800 for an accident ($400 of which is being under 25)

·
Bucknaked Is My Real Name
1,458 Posts
I'm a bit foggy on the fine details cause this happened 16 years ogo, but when I turned 18, I bought a 5.0l Sandman Panelvan (No plush velvet sorry), and had the car insured in my dads name and me being the occasional driver. Of course i was the primary driver. Anyway, we got his full 60% no claim. So after 1 year, we drop his name off, and I get the full 60%. Can't remember the premiums, but the car was insured for about 4 or 5 thou. So I doubt insurance was that much, but the 60% sure made it cheaper. Anyway, a year later, my dad got plastered and rode off his brand new car. Because he was about a squillion times the legal limit, he lost his insurance and his 60%. So, he gets a new car, we insure it in my name, and after 1 year, they drop my name off, and he gets to keep his 60%. Everyone is happy.

I'm sure this doesn't happen anymore, but you could try it, and it makes the insurance cheaper.

·
Registered
548 Posts
03 BA XR6 with mods $51,000 .......$989 RACV in melbourne.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
well i have a good dad, he has the car in his name, (i havent paid for all of it yet anyway) and he has agreed to keep the rego in his name, and same with the insurance. Only a few months ago i was put on the insurance, after 3 years of driving it. Plus i have had the car lowered for nearly 12 months, and i havent told the insurance company yet. maybe i should to that tomorrow!! good idea...

·
At the 3FB Cheese Wheel
3,582 Posts
Casper said:
Oh, it's good to be over 30 sometimes :p
As far as I can tell, it's the only good thing about growing old!

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
I'll trade some years...

·
Registered
382 Posts
OED666 said:
well i have a good dad, he has the car in his name, (i havent paid for all of it yet anyway) and he has agreed to keep the rego in his name, and same with the insurance. Only a few months ago i was put on the insurance, after 3 years of driving it. Plus i have had the car lowered for nearly 12 months, and i havent told the insurance company yet. maybe i should to that tomorrow!! good idea...
I'd run, not walk to your insurance company immediately. They don't need much of a reason to turn down a claim, and your car lowered without their knowledge is a prime candidate for denying a claim that you make.

·
BOFH
7,560 Posts
It also depends on what insurance company you are with. It may be that when you do tell them they will say "sorry, we no longer will insure you" In which case, you had better get a new insurance company pronto.
Not only do I tell my insurance EVERYTHING but I ring them and find out if I can do something BEFORE I do it.
Classic example, I want to put super lows in my car, rang my insurance mob, they said "NO WAY!" so I know that if I want to do it I have to change to a new insurer.
This is the sort of thing you want to know BEFORE you do something.
Just to prove the point, what if you drive to work tomorrow and hit an oil spill, smash into the back of a car and send that car into a Hotel foyer. Not only are you up for you cars repairs and the other cars repairs but also the repairs to the hotel AND compensation for anyone injured. Then you insurance company, not wanting a $500,000 bill see's your lowered car? I dont think they would be able to get the VOID stamp out quick enough!
Dont fool with insurance, you need it!

·
RIP Sox.....
2,580 Posts
Any car worth less than 5k isn't worth fully insuring anyway, just 3rd party it.
As far as the high cost for the XR6, let's face it, insurance companies need to make money like everyone else, young drivers are a higher risk, so they need to charge accordingly.
You want the luxury of insurance, you pay for it, sounds reasonable to me.

Rick.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Ok, i will advise them tomorrow morning, (well get my dad too). it only cost like $350 to fully insure my car, cuz i am only a nominated driver, not the full time driver. Even though i am on my g/f's insurance, and her full compo insurance is like $800 a year, yet we are on a rating 2 now!! I have a perfect driving record too.

I know that i can lowerer the car, no probs..

·
Bucknaked Is My Real Name
1,458 Posts
Casper said:
It also depends on what insurance company you are with. It may be that when you do tell them they will say "sorry, we no longer will insure you" In which case, you had better get a new insurance company pronto.
Not only do I tell my insurance EVERYTHING but I ring them and find out if I can do something BEFORE I do it.
Classic example, I want to put super lows in my car, rang my insurance mob, they said "NO WAY!" so I know that if I want to do it I have to change to a new insurer.
This is the sort of thing you want to know BEFORE you do something.
Just to prove the point, what if you drive to work tomorrow and hit an oil spill, smash into the back of a car and send that car into a Hotel foyer. Not only are you up for you cars repairs and the other cars repairs but also the repairs to the hotel AND compensation for anyone injured. Then you insurance company, not wanting a $500,000 bill see's your lowered car? I dont think they would be able to get the VOID stamp out quick enough!
Dont fool with insurance, you need it!
In winter in Canberra we get black ice on the roads. Can't see till your almost ontop it it, and once you hit one of those doing 100, theres no stopping in a hurry

·
A Fully Sick " Can't "
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Maybe I was a bit to hyped up when I wrote that. Got a new agreement now and I think it is aiight, for now anyways. I am not officially on the policy at all now, but I am still covered if I am driving, no matter what happens. Except there is like a $1300 excess. Also, the guy that said they calulate it from the youngest person on the driver's list is right. It doesn't matter if you are listed as a secondary driver, if your name is there, they will work it out on you.

I have calmed down now, and even though I am still pretty pizzed off, can't do nothing about it anyway.
Damn money hungry mothers, I don't care what the stats say, not every single one of us is like that. Why should I pay for Joe Blow's stupidity?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts