Ford Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Crown Victoria Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks, if you had a black grille painted body color, can you tell me how much it cost and can you refer me to a good paint shop (preferably on the east coast but this would be easy to do via mail). Thanks!

·
Crown Victoria P71 Member
42 Posts
SUGGESTION

I AM GOING TO BE HONEST WITH YOU PETE LOOK AT JUNK YARDS FOR A WRECKED POLICE CAR BECAUSE ONLY THE POLICE PACKAGES HAVE THE BLACK GRILLS; THE SHINY CROME GRILL WILL BE A HEAD ACHE FOR THE SHOP AND YOU. THE PAINT MIGHT EVEN PEEL OFF; OR YOU CAN CHECK WITH YOUR LOCAL FORD DEALER AND TELL THEM YOU WANT TO ORDER THE P71 GRILL THAT COMES STANDARD ON THE POLICE PACKAGES. HOPE I AM OF SOME HELP AND YOU COULD END UP PAYING THE SAME IN THE END FOR EITHER!

P.S.-> BE VERY VERY QUIET K9 IS ON PATROL! :D

·
Registered
55 Posts
you say Black Grille painted body color so therefore you shouldn't really have problems with the new paint fading off or peeling!

However like the gentlemen mentioned chrome sux when its painted over.... the new paint starts peeling! We experimented with this on my company's Town Cars and now a few years later, they all faded and started peeling!

Can't you order your Vic with the body color scheme? I thought you got yours brand new Pete? the SAP adds showed the grille same color maybe you can get it from the dealer?

--Russ

·
Crown Victoria Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I ordered my car from the dealer and it is great! I require bench seating and a column shifter so unfortunately the SAP was not an option. Anyway the body-color grille from the SAP package is what I want. I initially thought that I could just order a SAP body-colored grille from Ford but apparently they are not for sale. Now I want to have a black PI grille painted. I am looking for a shop that can do an excellent job.

S

·
0 Posts
Look at E-Bay for a black colored grille, I paid $35.00 + $8.00 for shipping.

·
42 Posts
HMMMMMM

I GUESS IF YOU REALLY WANT TO HAVE YOUR GRILL PEEL AND LOOK HORRIBLE GO AHEAD BUT WE GAVE YOU GOOD INFO ABOVE. REGARDLESS OF WHO THE SHOP IS IT WILL NOT BE DONE RIGHT! YOU WILL BE DISAPPOINTED; BANK ON IT!:mad3:

·
17 Posts
Any halfway decent painter's helper or bored painter can make paint stick to plastic. They do bumpers, mouldings, trim, interior parts etc. all the time. Chrome can be done too (BASF DE-18) but a bare plastic piece is easier. Plastic is not high tech and paint companies have been spending millions on making products that work and teaching "technicians" how to use them. DuPont showed a bunch of my emloyees a procedure involving new products (10 yrs ago) for painting the notorious (then new) Nissan rear bumper covers. At the end of this thing they had primed and painted a beach ball, then deflated it and threw the thing around. It stayed in one piece. Ten years ago. A grille is very simple. If they cant make paint stick to a chunch of plastic, you best get away from them!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts