Ford Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
BSR
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok.......it must have been spoken about before on FF but i cant find it.

My car Au XR8 has had the oil treatment twice now and has worked both times for about 5000k's.

What have you guys done with the same/similar problem??

Oil treatment??
New diff??

I am going to demand a new diff this time.......Kloster Ford here i come!!!!

·
BSR
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i assume you know what i was talking about.......

Diff clunks on trailing throttle and when you come to a slow stop

·
Territory TS - AWD
2,374 Posts
Hey, sounds like the same thing my ED does. Always has, I guess I'm just tolerant. Oh no, that's not it, it's the wifes car.

Does someone here know what causes that? Iv'e been meaning to fix it but it hasn't gotten any worse (bought car with 18,000km now has 125,000km) and I don't have to put up with it that often.

·
BSR
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought it was just on the Au series with IRS/LSD.......i tell you though im over it!!!!

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
XLR8 said:
I thought it was just on the Au series with IRS/LSD.......i tell you though im over it!!!!
Ok I see what you were talking about now. New diff mate. Shouldn't have a problem getting one either. If you do, contact me and I will tell you a little story

·
Australian TE50 AU1 Member
194 Posts
Had the same problem with the TE, also talked to other TE owners and yep, they had the same problem, one bloke is on his second diff, still not satisfied.

First FTE changed the IRS axles, slight improvement, I went back and said still not satisfied, I want a new diff, they said not yet, try the new oil first. After new oil and seals were fitted the clunk went away and hasn't come back after 10,000kms. So fingers crossed, it has worked. This is such a common problem, all I get from FTE is it's the same diff as HSV, it's just the way they are. They are reluctant to talk about it in detail. Best of luck.

·
BSR
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
HSE2 said:

Ok I see what you were talking about now. New diff mate. Shouldn't have a problem getting one either. If you do, contact me and I will tell you a little story

Thanks Ian......will do

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
TeeHee said:
Had the same problem with the TE, also talked to other TE owners and yep, they had the same problem, one bloke is on his second diff, still not satisfied.

First FTE changed the IRS axles, slight improvement, I went back and said still not satisfied, I want a new diff, they said not yet, try the new oil first. After new oil and seals were fitted the clunk went away and hasn't come back after 10,000kms. So fingers crossed, it has worked. This is such a common problem, all I get from FTE is it's the same diff as HSV, it's just the way they are. They are reluctant to talk about it in detail. Best of luck.
They are right it is the same diff that Holden have been using and there is the first mistake:eek:

Ford are running higher them 80 % replace on this item and have been tearing strips off BTR telling them to fix this piece of junk.

I have the latest version in my car now and it is a huge improvement over the original. Still a little bit there but it is better

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
XLR8 said:

Thanks Ian......will do
Good luck. Its not the dealers decision to make. Ford have your service record, your details go into the system and some computer somewhere sends out the new unit. I got a shock when I found out how this works and was angry that I put up with a dealer telling me the car was normal for nearly 2.5 years

·
BSR Field Agent
578 Posts
Hey Rob!!! Does the Diff noise have anything to do with the two large black lines that seem to always run directly from your rear wheels.........LOL.......

Nipper...... Just kiddin......

·
gone
10,402 Posts
XLR8 said:
Ok.......it must have been spoken about before on FF but i cant find it.

My car Au XR8 has had the oil treatment twice now and has worked both times for about 5000k's.

What have you guys done with the same/similar problem??

Oil treatment??
New diff??

I am going to demand a new diff this time.......Kloster Ford here i come!!!!
Mate

Its not the diff, had the same prob with mine, have now done 47,000 ks

When you add the oil treatment the trick is to get the stuff into the gearing before you get and striaght line movement.

Yeah sounds stupid but this has worked for me 4 times.

Once added, you must do 8 full right lock turns, and then 8 full left lock turns one after another.

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,540 Posts
XLR8 said:
i assume you know what i was talking about.......

Diff clunks on trailing throttle and when you come to a slow stop
Mate, abit of a bugger by the sounds of things, best of luck, hope you get it sorted out,

to elaborate further about the noise, is what you mean about trailing throttle when your cruising then you let go of the accelerator and then hit the accel again then the diff cluncks slightly???

If it is that happened on my mates EL and Dads car as well, not a huge clunk but it's there.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Yeah there is two problems with these diffs. The first is the cones that the oil will fix the second is excessive backlash that the oil won't fix for any lenght of time. The difference between the AU1 diff and the new units is very noticeable.
Having said that there is still a small amount that a redesign of the half shafts is said to be the cure

·
Officially Bored with 347
3,584 Posts
Alas Gentlemen......
It seems the only fix left would be bananna skin or sawdust in the ole diff job :(

·
BSR
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
HSE2 said:
Yeah there is two problems with these diffs. The first is the cones that the oil will fix the second is excessive backlash that the oil won't fix for any lenght of time. The difference between the AU1 diff and the new units is very noticeable.
Having said that there is still a small amount that a redesign of the half shafts is said to be the cure

Getting new half shafts fitted tomorrow......wil let you know how it goes:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts