Ford Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
1972 XA GS Fairmont
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gday people........What fords had 3.5 gears in em. Ute, panos?? I have an Xa with the standard 2.92 and i want 3.5s.
Thanks Chris

·
Can't wait for Winton...
2,759 Posts
XW GT option (9"), also XR6, 1 tonne manual XG-H utes (3.45 but close enough, Borg Warner). I'm sure there would be others, but couldn't tell you what.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
If you are chasing 3.5 for an XA borg warner, you will need to get small right hand thread gears from an XC-XD ute. Later stuff will have larger bolts and require hemi mods.

·
Registered
177 Posts
wbt56 - gday i am in the same situation as XA Fairmont but am leaning towards an lsd as well
i have an 302 windsor auto in a xw with the stock borgy 2.93 single spinner
what would i need to find to get everything, cn i rip a centre out of a VL or 80's skyline as i think they have 3.45 and 3.7s????
cheers
cam

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
You would have to get a hemisphere built. You can use the gears out of said car, but any LSD will be 28 spline axles, and you should have 25 spline. It is not too difficult. Be wary of going so low if you do any highway work. Even 3.45 will see you at 2860rpm plus converter losses, so about 3000-3100 at 100km/h.

·
Registered
177 Posts
thanks for your reply..
what do ya reckon would be the simplest\cheapest way to get a better ration and lsd thats not gonna clunk and rattle all the time
your advice is much appreiciated
cam

·
Banned
555 Posts
xdub69 said:
thanks for your reply..
what do ya reckon would be the simplest\cheapest way to get a better ration and lsd thats not gonna clunk and rattle all the time
your advice is much appreiciated
cam

your in dandenong so go and see G & J differentials ask to see george.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
You may be hard pressed to get a good second hand unit now, all these things are getting too old. If you can, go for it. Beyond that, shop around for an expert, diffs are not really a back yard job.

·
Registered
177 Posts
cheers thanks for the help guys
i'll try G&J diffs see what they say
and thanks for letting me steal XA's Thread...lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts