Ford Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Old Car:BA XR6 New: 97 EL
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night a friend of mine went for a drive in a commdore VS. And he said he liked it better than my AUII. Now that really pissed me off..

But he said that the commo was much quicker off the mark. Felt more powerful.

Its piss easy to spin the wheels in a commdore, but is much harder in an AU.

I Know the AUII has more KW. but i presume the commdore must have a higher diff ratio.???

I couldnt bull**** my way out of that argument besides saying the falcon had more KW but they didnt beleive me! :rolleyes:

On another note about diff ratios. how does a higher diff ratio make the car feel more powerfull.. e.g. 3.23 feels more powerfull than a 3.08.. Is it those extra .15 turns of the tailshaft that put more power/torque to the ground???

PLEASE EXPLAIN hehe

:D

·
Territory TS - AWD
2,374 Posts
Liked a VS better than an AUII, what sort of friends do you have Jaytyn? Did you try these arguments?
...was much quicker off the mark. Felt more powerful.
No it isn't you moron, you have been fooled into thinking the Crapydore is quicker and more powerful because it was louder. That bloody V6 is harsh and coarse and the power delivery is abrupt. The AUII being better insulated from road noise and quieter anyway just does it soooo much more easily.
Its piss easy to spin the wheels in a commodore, but is much harder in an AU.
This should be telling you how crap the Commy gets it power to the ground, crap rear suspension design.

As for the diff ratios, I don't know what they are in the commy, but think of it as multiplying the torque rather than just extra turns of the tailshaft. That is a 3.08 multiplies the available engine torque by about 3 through the diff whereas a 3.23 multiplies by almost 3 1/4. Of course for the same road/wheel speed the engine also has to be spinning faster which will usually result in more available torque anyway.

SAFEWEB - bypassing the evil office firewall!

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
They both have the same diff ratio, 3.08:1.
The reason Auto Commodores are so quick off the line is its first gear ratio, 3.06:1 vs 2.39:1 for the Falcon, it also has a shorter second gear too. Line them both up in 3rd (1:00:1 in both) and have a race, the Falcon will pull away with no trouble....

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
The auto has a much looser torque converter also.Well it feels that way.RAPTOR exactly right about n.v.h in engine.

·
Read Only
1,395 Posts
Yeah, I think the Commodes have been geared for a reasonably quick take off compared to the Falc ever since the VL days. Whereas the Falcon is geared to just lope along effortlessly.
Like Martin said, get em in a rolling acceleration test and see how things change.:p
Russell.

·
Old Car:BA XR6 New: 97 EL
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I took one of them for a drive in my Falc again last night.

I said HOLD ON.

I put the foot flat to 4500rpm then backed off and floored it again to 5500rpm and then the trans kicked down. They got thrown so far back into their seat they nearly **** themselves ;)

Lets say they dont think the commo is quicker anymore.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts