Ford Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to fit a set of skyline gears (3.89:1) into an ED diff and then fit it to my EA. I want to do it myself, but would like to have some reference materials to work with when it comes to setting up the gears in the housing. Does anyone have something they could scan in a manual and e-mail or hard copy they can post. I'm happy to pay costs etc. Maybe there's a standard publication around the place..........
Cheers!

·
Registered
827 Posts
This is NOT something you want to attempt yourself. you need a fULL shim kit to do it!

I have tried it...but alas paid for the set up..cost me 198.00

Jas

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks jas24zzk but that's not the answer I'm hoping to get. I'd like to think I'm quite a capable person, both technically and physically. This is something I'm prepared to stuff up a few times so I can get it right. All I need is some technical notes to get me going and some reasonable advice. I already know it's a tricky task to get right, thats why we join forums like this and share our knowledge.............

Anyone?

·
Got my 3.45 LSD!
214 Posts
ive got a guide to remove and install the rear axle assembly along with the differential and final drive. Is the diff rebuild for a sedan or station wagon or commercials(ute)? or is it an irs model?

·
Registered
827 Posts
G'day,
well yes i'm pretty capable too...but... not having a shim kit at your disposal makes it VERY hard.

but some background on what i knew/learnt.
There are 2 Crown wheel sizes.
There are 2 different Pinion Main bearings
Then there is the conventional and the LSD.
Then you can get 2 pinion or 4 pinion.

Now this is where is gets really hard... for any given combination above, there is an individual housing, the difference can be as little as 10 thou...and for some combinations its unshimable. (i learnt this after many hours of frustration..and a phone call to the right man)

Fitting the Gears ONLY, and not the carrier may make it work more in your favour, but you best option is probably to track down an AU or later One tonner. Many of these come with 3.89's and the heavier duty pinion main bearing. Many also have 4 pinion LSD (ESP in the V8's). The problem here is the suspension mounting points, you would need to have them professionally done.

Many EB V8's (esp the XR's) run a 3.45 4 pinion LSD, which although not as short as you want, will certainly liven the car up. I put one of these into an XF 351clevo ute, and its a good fun car to drive now..not lazy at all.

Cheers
Jas

·
Registered
111 Posts
u'll be able to do it with out a shim kit as long as u have the measuring equipment, (depth gauges and dial indicators) but unfortunately i dont have specs to help you. I've never had to set up a clutchkit for an lsd but as far as the rest of the diff is concerned its just a matter of setting the pinion depth to begin with and if u have new gears it should be written in the fitting instructions because theses specs are related to the gear set not the diff housing along with backlash specs. once the pinion depth and preload is set its easy. U set the the side bearings to the correct backlash and then give it some preload. if theres a thrust plate that is usually set up by tightening against the crownwheeland backing it off just so it doesnt touch with load on it. and thats about itlogic tells me if you pull it apart u can put it back together the old shims will get you started and if you need more you just measure and order wat u need.

·
Registered
10 Posts
to set the pinion bearing turning tourque your going to need an inch pound beam style tourque wrench and it has to read very low cause the turning tourgue is 18 in lbs to get you pinion depth right but do white litium grease and but it all around the ring gear once you set it all together turn the gears to see where it's riding you want it to be in the middle of the ring gear it's acutally rather easy to i used to build rear gears of arca and busch cars and some cups cars to set your gear backlash also have the gear assembly together in the vehicle use a dial indicator with a magnetic stand you can get that at harbor freight toold really cheap i believe it's .006 or so when doing the back lash hold the pinion stationary and just move the ring gear up and down place the dial indicator base on the axle housing and the dial indicator to one of the ring gears teeth if you have any questions pm i can get the specs on monday just let me know what all you want and need the inch lbs tourque wrench i a bitch to find it took me a week and about 300 miles of driving to find one

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is excellent stuff!! Sorry for the big delay getting back, I went racing for the weekend. I managed to keep the rearend intact this time, but did find a big rock with the exhaust and trans. Anyway, thanks for all the great info:
AU dude, to answer you, I have an EA sedan and I want to make use of the later model 28 spline axels by using an ED diff. I haven't bought one yet, but I intend to as I assume they are the newest sedan diff I will get that won't give me issues with handbrake cables etc. The offshute of my mission here is that I will be able to build my own diff for my racecar as well. I currently run an XD ute with a spooled EF wagon (3.23) diff which I did myself. It's a bit too hard on the trans, due to the big tyres, but it's working for now and I didn't have to rely on anyone else to fit the spool. I got a diff built by someone else before this one and it lasted 5 Kms into the first lap of a 400Km race.
jas24zzk: Thanks for your input, I wasn't aware that AU series utes etc had better ratios than 3.45.
ziggs: Thanks for your input, I'll PM you when the time comes to do the job to pick your brains a bit.
scort_beater: I will also PM you once I'm underway.
Looks like my first mission here is to buy some tools, thanks again to all, I'll keep you posted and put in some shots if I can.

·
Registered
24 Posts
hi this is the guy with the orange xf that bought the 3 falcon engines off you
i have 2 factory workshop manuals,one for a xd and one for a xe.pm me with your phone number as i have lost it. you can borrow one and photo copy all the info you need.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey good to hear from you mate, how's the fire breathing monster getting on? I sort of regret selling the AU (crank) engine, but hey. I'll PM my details.
Cheers!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi everyone,
I have managed to secure a copy of the Ford factory manual section for fault finding and rebuilding a borgie diff from EA and EB, with some extra variations I found from a later version that covered up to ED. I'll happily scan them and attach them to an e-mail if anyone wants them.

Does anyone know if 75 series borgie diffs had 25 spline axles only, and did Ford stop and go to 78 series (28 spline) at the last of the first EB's. I think I'm right in assuming that 28 spline axles appeared in the series 2 EB's along with the newer 78 series housing!!!?? I also assume that the gears changed in the way their teeth are machined, it seems that "face milled" gears appeared in the earlier diffs and "face hobbed" gears appeared in the EB series 2's onwards. Can anyone shed some light on this bit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts