Ford Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
'90 EA-II Fairmont
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I managed to break the differential in my EA-II Fairmont; rather expectedly considering I dumped it from neutral to drive at 4500rpm....

Good news is tho, plenty of mates that are mechanics, getting a new (single spinner) diff built to 3.45 ratio (I think the one in there was 3.08, may have been 2.77 tho) at cost of about $150, plus around $50-100 for labour... and maybe a slab or two cos i'm a nice guy and all (besides the fact i'm saving a fortune over if I had it done at a workshop) ;)

Old diff is out and apparrantly spider gears or something r borked... but anyway... what i'm writing to ask is, what speedo gear should I be purchasing; I assume the EA uses a speedo gear since although I figured the speedo would be read from the front wheels (would make sense, these can't lose traction), it reads high during virtual non-moving wheelspin...

uses 215/65r14 tyres, I think 205/65/r14 are stock... i think i'm looking for black speedo gear but i'm not sure...

some verification if possible... thanks in advance,
Clinton

·
feed me hey
4,692 Posts
Your diff would have been 3.08 or 3.23 depending on engine type.

3.23 if its MPI
3.08 if its CFI

A 3.45 will be a good boost over what ever you have anyway. Will it still be single spinner?

·
'90 EA-II Fairmont
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
CFI so 3.08..

yeah will still be a single spinner I think..

depends what the guy who's doing it can get for it

·
'90 EA-II Fairmont
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
he was going to do 3.77 but we figured 100km/h cruising might be a little too un-economical for that :)

·
Birth, Drift, Death...
3,039 Posts
i think the speedo gear for the 3.45 is grey but im not sure.

go to a ford spare parts place, they can help you, its only a couple of bucks for the gear IIRC.

speedo reads from the tailshaft speed, it is in the gearbox on the drivers side.

·
'90 EA-II Fairmont
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
with 215's?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts