Ford Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
In Pursuit of excellence
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to Hanging Rock car show today and put a few more k's on the ute, it's got just on 1000 on it now. Cruising along at 100 kays i have noticed a slight diff whine present. Something my au2 xr8 ute never did. Has anyone else had diff prob's in their utes?
Also noticed at speed it wallows in corners and turn in anywhere near as well as the au2. Those extra kilograms are really noticeable :fraz:

·
Registered
674 Posts
I just had complete diff assembly replaced (29,000Ks) It had a pinion whine from early on which got worse & worse. 90kph was the most annoying speed for it. Had a bit of a wait for the new one (7 weeks) But Ford were fine about warranty covering replacement (I somehow don't think it's the 1st faulty one!)

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
I was very careful about running in my drivetrain from new and follwoed the old method of lower speeds building up to varying speeds for the first couple thousand kays. Mine is quiet at 17000km.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Hmmm, As to when I first noticed this whine?...
Just after the free driver training day springs to mind (With a certain Carrera Cup driver at the helm!)

·
Registered
780 Posts
I had an xr6 turbo that did the same thing, period noise @ 95-100kph. Now I've got a GT and it's arrived in the bum too at 1600klm. Ford have no problem replacing the diffs (I had 2 in the BA Turbo). It appears that this is just a bad batch of diffs. My service manager said after the second diff in the T started whineing, to wait for a few months to get another one as they should have come good by then. Great cars, crap diffs. But then again you can always turn up the sound. Book it in early because it will take 3-4 weeks to get the part in, then make sure they have organised to have the drive shaft balancer there or you could wait another week without a car while they source it. Been there done that :AAHHH:

·
X-DM!!
1,114 Posts
Aussie Pete said:
I was very careful about running in my drivetrain from new and follwoed the old method of lower speeds building up to varying speeds for the first couple thousand kays. Mine is quiet at 17000km.
Did all that, still made no differance to my diff...........still waiting for the new one. (over 2 months now).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi Guys
Glad I'm not alone, I thought it was just normal coming from a ute, a good friend of mine who is a mechanical engineer said it too sounded a bit whiney. Everything you guys have stated about your diffs are present in my XR8 ute. With only 300kms on it I drove it from Sydney to Canberra and it whined all the way there. I will be pointing it out to the dealer when I go for my 3000km check up.

Rob!

·
In Pursuit of excellence
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
rod c said:
Did all that, still made no differance to my diff...........still waiting for the new one. (over 2 months now).
Interested to know if your diff has arrived yet Rod ?

·
X-DM!!
1,114 Posts
cams290 said:
Interested to know if your diff has arrived yet Rod ?
Still no sign of it Cameron. I rang the service manager last Wednesday and he said he had a couple of weeks off and thought it must have been done than. He said he knew the new diffs were slow in coming through but that's rediculous..........he also said he would ring me back....you guest it, still waiting...

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
I'm beginning to wonder whether the whine and noise from the back of my ute is the Yokohamas or the diff......

·
BSR
2,279 Posts
Aussie Pete said:
I'm beginning to wonder whether the whine and noise from the back of my ute is the Yokohamas or the diff......

With your luck AP i will take $50 on the diff thanks.......

·
Registered
71 Posts
Just Wondering If Any Of You Think It Is Worth Trading In My Au2 Xr8 Ute On A 2nd Hand Ba Pursuit. The Ba Is Late Last Year Model And Has 20 Thousand K's, 5 Speed And Is Black For $49,999. Is That The Going Price For These.

Cheers

·
In Pursuit of excellence
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
rod c said:
Yeh Charlie, about 4-5 weeks before they ordered yours.....getting beyond the joke now!!
Rather pathetic isn't it ? I wonder what would happen if it actually destroyed itself, whether the new one would arrive any earlier ? They probably think that seeing it is ONLY whinning, the customer will put up with it. I am going away at easter and will be doing 3000k plus, it will give me the shits listening to the fu*#ing thing.

·
Registered
71 Posts
XLR8 said:
that seems a little overpriced.......but what isnt at Klosters!
THE ONE ON THE STAND. I DROVE IT TODAY GOES NICE BUT I COULDN'T HEAR ANY DIFF NOISES WHICH IS GOOD. IT'S BUILD NUMBER IS 16.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts