Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend who is looking at purchasing a Phase 5 XD. We want to make sure its not a fake. We know it will have the 4V Head, but with out taking the rocker cover off, we dont know how to identify the difference between the 2V and 4V. Is there any difference on the heads that will make this easier to spot the difference.

I know if that a proper Phase 5 will have a plate on the firewall...

·
Banned
555 Posts
out side the rocker cover in the corner of the heads there should be a small raised 4 indicating its a 4v, bottom ends are also the same shit nothing special

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
If no one has changed the heads then they will be 2Vs. If they are 4Vs then tyretoaster has explained it.
The Phase5 was done by Phase Autos not Ford so being genuine is not really an issue.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TyreToaster said:
pulling off the rocker cover wont help, same shit under there but out side the rocker cover in the corner of the heads there should be a small raised 4 indicating its a 4v, bottom ends are also the same shit nothing special

TyreToaster

Where exactly do i need to look at. Sorry, i just want to make sure i am looking at..

·
Banned
555 Posts
where the intake manifold meets the heads so the top side of the head the rocker cover will be round as it goes round the corner but the head stays square, that is where the 4 will be, but it shouldnt b a 4v motor anyway by 4v they mean 4 barrel carby not heads and thats nothing to get excited about, unless it actually has 4v's in which case you got big assed heads.

·
Registered
227 Posts
OED666: We've had this tread before Have a look at this thread and have a look at the attached picts they clearly show where to look...

http://www.fordforums.com/showthread.php?t=55886

I don't think all 4v heads have the stamp There are so many different 4v heads. The quickest way would be to remove one of the extractors and have a look at the gasket or the huge port in the head. Take a 2v exhaust gasket along to compare so you know what you are looking for. They might let you have a look you never know.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks guys, you have been a great help. I dont no much about the nitty gritty of V8's but i knew ppl here would.

Also, 4V heads means 2 inch inlet and 2 inch exhaust ports???

and the standard is 1 1/2 inch???

·
V8 XW Ute/APV Kitted EBII
472 Posts
4V does mean the heads TyreToaster, the carby is 4-Barrel standard coz of the fuel it will be using! LOTS!. 4V's have much bigger inlet and exhaust ports - slower airspeed, which is why alot of drag racers use 2V heads to get more airspeed to create a quicker turnaround in fuel burning.

Cheers
ViGiLaNtE

·
74 XB Fairmont
5,113 Posts
ViGiLaNtE said:
4V does mean the heads TyreToaster, the carby is 4-Barrel standard coz of the fuel it will be using! LOTS!. 4V's have much bigger inlet and exhaust ports - slower airspeed, which is why alot of drag racers use 2V heads to get more airspeed to create a quicker turnaround in fuel burning.

Cheers
ViGiLaNtE
Ford the manufacturer when stating 4V doesn't mean 4V heads.

By the manufacturer:

2V is two venturi.
4V is four venturi.

According my my owners manual my XC fairmont had a 4V engine in it. Well it did a 4 venturi 351. 351 open chamber 2V heads though.

By engine developers definitions

2V is a small port head.
4V is a large port head.

Brenden

·
74 XB Fairmont
5,113 Posts
slaves wage said:
hows the new heads brenx.
seen the track yet?
Nope. Mrs had a $2000 spending spree at my expense. She has major problems with cash very similar to a gambling problem.

Short version "see cash, must spend".

It's put me back a substancial amount finacially. Maybe 4-6 months? If I didn't want the engine/car happening so much. I'd be at the point of selling it. As everytime I get close the Mrs blows the cash. Might have to go shove it on finance, just to get it done. The way it's going it looks like it'll never be finished :(

We do have a priorities house wise too. Pergola's*2, concreting (6*8m,3*3m, 6*4m and footpaths), turf, washing line, light fittings, weather strips. The house list add's up to tens of thousands.

A more positive thing is, I now have a permanent job. As I work for the goverment permanent jobs weren't available/offered. It's taken me 8 years to get a permanent job!

I'll keep battling to get this car happening. It may kill me first though?

Brenden

·
Registered
84 Posts
FIRST SOLUTION, return the goods for a cash refund.
2nd solution show her the video Once were warriors and threaten similar treatment unless spending stops.
3rd solution buy a cheaper house so you can spend more on YOURE intrests.
4th solution steal money from the govt to enable you to finish youre car.
No more excusses just hit the track!

·
74 XB Fairmont
5,113 Posts
slaves wage said:
FIRST SOLUTION, return the goods for a cash refund.
2nd solution show her the video Once were warriors and threaten similar treatment unless spending stops.
3rd solution buy a cheaper house so you can spend more on YOURE intrests.
4th solution steal money from the govt to enable you to finish youre car.
No more excusses just hit the track!
hehehe. You forgot the cheapest solution. Loose the wife, financially I am much better off without her. I know this as we spent some time separated in 2002 for the reasons above. I cracked the shits and left. We got back together 1-2 months later as I'd sorted the $ issues.

The Mrs no-longer has any cards ;) To get to that stage I saw mounting debt and on coming debt collectors. I threatened to sell the house which is mine and her dream house (last house we'd ever buy/live in). I reckon I have it sorted but we'll see?

Brenden

·
slikxb
220 Posts
brenx + tyretoaster are right 4V means 4 barrel carb. It's easier to call the heads big ports + small ports. Early non-smog heads had a 4 in the top corners of the head, late smog heads had a 4. in the same place I believe.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Buzz summed it up... But in the trade 4V heads also mean the big port heads, and 2V's the small port, so it's confusing for some.

Also I have an article of a road test of the phase V in an old Motor magazine. As xacoupe said it was just a body kit by Phase Auto's, driveline was same as Fairmont Ghia's, so they had 4 pinion diff, 4 wheel discs and the 4v (venturi) engine option. Still a nice car to own.

·
Registered
868 Posts
brenx said:
Ford the manufacturer when stating 4V doesn't mean 4V heads.

By the manufacturer:

2V is two venturi.
4V is four venturi.

This is true... Although early 351-4V Cleveland Had larger ports than 2V or later model 4V's. Ford still later smaller port engines 4V as BRENX described. Ford Australia used 3 engine codes for all its 351 engines , Windsor and Cleveland that I am aware of from 1969 XW to last XE V8. they are stamped on the compliance plate that say's the engine code. They are as follows : 'K'... 351-2V 'T'... 351-4V 'H'... 351-4V HO

·
Champion Goose
398 Posts
OED666 said:
I have a friend who is looking at purchasing a Phase 5 XD. We want to make sure its not a fake. We know it will have the 4V Head, but with out taking the rocker cover off, we dont know how to identify the difference between the 2V and 4V. Is there any difference on the heads that will make this easier to spot the difference.

I know if that a proper Phase 5 will have a plate on the firewall...
A friend of mine owns one of these vehicles (could be the one that your friend is purchasing-is it Silver?) and they're basically an XD ESP Fairmont with a bodykit. Doesn't have tons of power but a nice car to drive around in due to the torque down low (as with all 351s really). The plate on the firewall will indicate that it's a Fairmont ESP. AFAIK the engine is a 4V carb, 2V headed 351 Clevo.

·
How Fast Were You Going?
211 Posts
The 4V's have the raised 4, do the 2V's have a raised 2? Or are they just bare? I've tried searching for something on my heads but can't see anything.

All i can see is a 3 just at the front of one of the heads (If you know what i mean?).

Cheers. Trav.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Trav,

The general rule is:
(but there always seems to be talk about exceptions to the rule!)

US cast heads:

4V Closed= (61.3-64.3cc chamber) 4 cast into the corner

4v Open = 4 cast into the corner

4V Closed = (64.6-67.6cc chamber) 4 and a dot cast into the corner.

2V Open = 2 cast into the corner

Aust cast heads:

2V 0pen = NOTHING cast into the corner, fitted to the Aust built 302

2V Closed = NOTHING cast into the corner, fitted to the Aust built 351

Post early XA Falcons, the 4V meant the SAME heads as the 2V engine, the difference being 2V = 2 barrel carb and 4V = 4 barrel carb.

the 3 you can see if just a manufacturing mark with no significance to whether it's 2V or 4V.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts