Ford Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know some of you guys, well ok Pete in particular, with 220 kw XR8 s have made good remarks about the engine sound. I heard a rebel for the first time on Saturday and I must say they are as quiet as. I had assumed that both the Xr and the rebel had the same exhaust, so I was wondering what the different was to make the the XR8 sound better

·
BSR
2,279 Posts
My 200kw engine sounds heaps better than my old 185 motor. Hard to describe, but there is a deeper growl from the engine.
Also has a nice gentle rocking action on idle, havent heard a 220kw motor XR8 only Wasa's TS50 and that is very quiet.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine has never really idled smoothly at all, a relief to find the other 185 owner in the club suffers the same problem, but the 200 has a different cam that makes the car rock more.

·
Banned
2,631 Posts
a black pursuit ute roared past me today, and it sounded so nice! as far as i know, they have those 200kw engines

any windsor will sound nice with a decent exhaust!

·
RACE
2,950 Posts
My other half works at Ford dealer in Sydney. They have a XR8 Rebel, I heard it idle and then revved. I would say it sounds the same as the 220 XR8.

·
Ford Focus WRC Driver.
761 Posts
RATT said:
My other half works at Ford dealer in Sydney. They have a XR8 Rebel, I heard it idle and then revved. I would say it sounds the same as the 220 XR8.
Isn't it because the Rebel and the 220XR8 have the same engine?

·
Australian AUII XR8 Member
153 Posts
As far as I know the XR8 & Xr8 Rebel are basically the same mechanically.

With my car it is quiet at idle and cruising. But when you open the throttle and get the revs above 3000 then it really start to bark.

Everyone who has been in it has commented initially on how quiet it, then when opened up how good it sounds :s6:

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have heard the TS series 1 motor and it was the best sounding of the range at the time.
We had a rebel along on the weekend and after talking to the owner and from our own observations when he left, the thing was ultra quiet, and I don't think the amount of revs were going to change much, according the owners remarks anyway. What i found interesting was that some of you guys with 220 kw units the same as the rebel reckon you loved the sound the car made, which lead me to believe that the exhaust system must be different because from what we saw on the weekend there is no engine sound. Said owner who is a truckie by trade is going to fix the situation as he needs to be able to hear the engine running to avoid stalling.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
XR8220 said:
As far as I know the XR8 & Xr8 Rebel are basically the same mechanically.

With my car it is quiet at idle and cruising. But when you open the throttle and get the revs above 3000 then it really start to bark.

Everyone who has been in it has commented initially on how quiet it, then when opened up how good it sounds :s6:
Ah good a 220 owner.
Above 3000 makes a difference!! ok. That sounds about the same as the 185. At about 130 kph on the highway the engine was vocal even before the system change on mine. With only 1100 on the clock maybe he hasn't rev it that hard yet

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
Rebel and XR8 220 are identical.

Mine is muted but still sounds okay from idle, but at open throttle and with 3000+ revs on board it makes just the right noises :s6: The exhaust is nice and quiet at light throttle and low revs, but you can hear a definite V8 sound.

Having said that, my system is being ditched for something more in line with the TrickFlow hardware!

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,540 Posts
Hehehe i think with Scooby's new Fred Flinestone feet propulsion his engine isn't quite ready. :eek:o1: :eek:o1: :p

·
7,777 Posts
EF_Falcon_GuY said:
Hehehe i think with Scooby's new Fred Flinestone feet propulsion his engine isn't quite ready. :eek:o1: :eek:o1: :p
You be right by a long way.
Now, Santa be good and get my car back to me before it's a year old?

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
T.F.S now you are talking serious stuff..

·
7,777 Posts
ebxr8240 said:
T.F.S now you are talking serious stuff..
I'll post photos when I get the stuff unpacked!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts