Ford Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Can't wait for Winton...
2,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what are the visual external differences are between the 427, 428 and 429? On the weekend at the Albury All Ford Day there was a GT40 replica with a 7.0L engine, and I was wondering which one it would have been.

It also had an unusual 2sp auto transaxle too, 1.49 & 1.04 gears with 2.5 final drive.

·
Old Ford Fan
340 Posts
352 thru 428 are FE series, dunno how to tell size, but have 5 valve cover bolts. 429/460 totally different '385 series' engine(for the 460's designed 3.85 inch stroke) ,and have 7 bolts.

·
Can't wait for Winton...
2,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. The FE motors don't have siamesed intake or exhausts do they? I'd be guessing this was a 429 as they are more common, but who knows given the effort that must have gone into this thing!

·
Old Ford Fan
340 Posts
I cant think of any siamesed ports on a ford...wasnt a chevy was it? I was wondering about that transaxle- was it a corvair 2 speed powerglide? the high gear ratios would make it a slug off the line...

·
Can't wait for Winton...
2,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The car didn't have siamesed ports (no Chevy crap here!), just working on the stupid-question theory! I only know enough about big blocks to recognise that one Mustang at the same show had a 429 cobra jet sticker on the air cleaner... of a 302 Windsor!

Don't know about the Corvair tranny idea, 2sp yes but surely they wouldn't cope with a big block. Should have hung around the car longer til the owner came back!

·
Old Ford Fan
340 Posts
outback_ute said:
had a 429 cobra jet sticker on the air cleaner... of a 302 Windsor!
Don't know about the Corvair tranny idea, 2sp yes but surely they wouldn't cope with a big block. Should have hung around the car longer til the owner came back!
429 cj windsor...hehehe, well at least it was a v8!
I kinda doubted the corvair transaxle too, but no other 2speed transaxles came to mind...that old pontiac tempest had a transaxle, but dunno if it came in automatic. they did call the corvair unit a 'powerglide' but dunno if they were as strong as the conventional powerglides. Even if they were, the little final drive would still have to be weak-I'm pretty sure they were aluminum cased.If you ever see it again, please let us know what it is.

·
Can't wait for Winton...
2,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did take a pic of the engine bay, only it was on my old 35mm camera (bought a new camera a year ago and hadn't used it since so I thought I'd better use up the film). When I get the film developed I'll try to scan in the pic, but don't hold your breath waiting!

·
Registered
868 Posts
ford4v429 said:
352 thru 428 are FE series, dunno how to tell size, but have 5 valve cover bolts. 429/460 totally different '385 series' engine(for the 460's designed 3.85 inch stroke) ,and have 7 bolts.
This is very true .Also an FE 332-428 [Except 427 SOHC]is easy to identify as they all use the Inlet Manifold to form part of the head on each side of the engine.[i.e Underneath the Valve Covers , the Pushrods actually pass through the Intake]. 429-460 Do not do this. Here is a listing of some other Ford FE Big Block Engines.... Truck-331,361,391 Passenger-332,352,390,406,410,427,428.....There may even been some more available in the Lincoln-Mercury Range that I have missed....I think there may also be a 430 c.i. FE Lincoln Engine ??? Hard to tell them appart but some people can , not me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts