Ford Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
829 Posts
G'day,
LSD, When you rotate a wheel or axle, the other side will turn in the same direction. An open diff will turn opposite.

Ratio. First inspect for a data tag, if there is one, it will most likely be stamped. Else you need to open the case and do some math. Count the teeth on the Crownwheel and pinion, then divide the crown by the pinion. I.e 37 on the crown and 10 on the pinion, is 37/10 or 3.7:1

Cheers
Jas

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jas24zzk said:
G'day,
LSD, When you rotate a wheel or axle, the other side will turn in the same direction. An open diff will turn opposite.

Ratio. First inspect for a data tag, if there is one, it will most likely be stamped. Else you need to open the case and do some math. Count the teeth on the Crownwheel and pinion, then divide the crown by the pinion. I.e 37 on the crown and 10 on the pinion, is 37/10 or 3.7:1

Cheers
Jas
TANKS!! That will do the trick very nicely,.

Cheers yerself.
Bob

· Registered
2,324 Posts
I'd say opening it up is the hard way :hy:

Here's a link to a driveline calculator website.

http://www.chrismans.com/Calculators.html

First use the "Tire Diameter" calculator to work out your tyre size. eg: 265/50 x 15 = 25.4 inches.

Then go down to the "Find MPH" calculator. You'll first need to drive on the highway at say 60mph and note the engine RPM whilst in you 1:1 gearbox ratio (ie: 4th in a manual or 3rd in an auto). Then simply guess your diff ratio (axle ratio) on the calculator until it makes the answer read 60mph. (Transmission ratio will be 1 and Transfer Case ratio will be 1 also). What could be easier ;)

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
TruBlu351 said:
I'd say opening it up is the hard way :hy:

Here's a link to a driveline calculator website.

http://www.chrismans.com/Calculators.html

First use the "Tire Diameter" calculator to work out your tyre size. eg: 265/50 x 15 = 25.4 inches.

Then go down to the "Find MPH" calculator. You'll first need to drive on the highway at say 60mph and note the engine RPM whilst in you 1:1 gearbox ratio (ie: 4th in a manual or 3rd in an auto). Then simply guess your diff ratio (axle ratio) on the calculator until it makes the answer read 60mph. (Transmission ratio will be 1 and Transfer Case ratio will be 1 also). What could be easier ;)
that's great and will work nicely for the Cougar. Also it has reminded me of some high school math so that I will be able to calculate the turns ratio of my new diff when I find the limited slip device that I'm looking for.
thanks a bunch....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.