Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
SE QLD SVO OPERATIONS
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all ...

okay, I've got myself a EA 5speed, Im going to be pulling the box out of that, and changing my ED falcon from a auto to 5speed.

Now, I've read the doc on changing it over, looks pretty good and simple, now, Im just wondering, did the auto's (eg. my ED) have different diff ratio's to a manual EA? is anyone able to tell me what the ratio's are?

also, the best to use to be quick of the mark! lol :)

thanx.
Antony.

·
400 kg ego
6,188 Posts
Most manual EAs have the 2.92. You'll most likely have a 3.08. Also, the ED has stronger 28 spline axles - I have this same (3.08) diff in my EA. Hope this helps.

·
feed me hey
4,692 Posts
au2low said:
hey all ...

okay, I've got myself a EA 5speed, Im going to be pulling the box out of that, and changing my ED falcon from a auto to 5speed.

Now, I've read the doc on changing it over, looks pretty good and simple, now, Im just wondering, did the auto's (eg. my ED) have different diff ratio's to a manual EA? is anyone able to tell me what the ratio's are?

also, the best to use to be quick of the mark! lol :)

thanx.
Antony.
Youll have to fit narrow bushes to the Lower trailing arms on the diff end if you want to use the EA diff. You would also need to use the EA tailshaft.

Your best move would be to use the ED diff and tailshaft. A lot less stuffing round. Try to sorce an EB2 (with smartlock) manual ecu OR ED manual as youll experience some running problems with the Auto version.

·
SE QLD SVO OPERATIONS
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I need a different ECU? I can't use the auto ECU thats already in the car?

·
AKA: Spaniard
848 Posts
Nope, you'll need to change it otherwise your car will think it still has the auto.

·
SE QLD SVO OPERATIONS
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe a silly reply, but I thought that it had a seperate computer near the brake pedal for the auto? .... can't you just remove the wire's from the auto ecu? or to much stuffing around ..?

·
Banned
3,104 Posts
The ED integrated the box computer with the ECU. I suspect you already have a 3.08 diff, I certainly wouldn't want to go any lower than that :) Try looking around for a 3.23 or 3.45 XR6 diff....
You can fool the computer, I know with the EL computer you just put a 7.5 Kohm resistor on it, but I don't know the resistance values or pinouts for the ED computer.

·
SE QLD SVO OPERATIONS
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
mongrelEB said:
The ED integrated the box computer with the ECU. I suspect you already have a 3.08 diff, I certainly wouldn't want to go any lower than that :) Try looking around for a 3.23 or 3.45 XR6 diff....
You can fool the computer, I know with the EL computer you just put a 7.5 Kohm resistor on it, but I don't know the resistance values or pinouts for the ED computer.
Okay cool, on the EL computer, where abouts do you put the resistor? if you could let me know what pin, or something like that ...

thanx.
antony.

·
SE QLD SVO OPERATIONS
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
NZ said:
Youll have to fit narrow bushes to the Lower trailing arms on the diff end if you want to use the EA diff. You would also need to use the EA tailshaft.

Your best move would be to use the ED diff and tailshaft. A lot less stuffing round. Try to sorce an EB2 (with smartlock) manual ecu OR ED manual as youll experience some running problems with the Auto version.

Will the ED auto tailshaft bolt up to the manual EA 5speed?

Thanx.
Antony.

·
feed me hey
4,692 Posts
they dont actually bolt up to the gearbox but yes it will fit. They have a splined shaft which allows it to move in and out of the box slightly when your diff moves.

·
Birth, Drift, Death...
3,039 Posts
it will fit at the gearbox end but i think you will find that the diff end is different - AFAIK the EB onwards diffs have a flange type mounting to the tailshaft, but the EAs have a 'yoke' type, you need to change either the diff or the tailshatf to make it fit.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'm dropping in an LSD from an EB II V8 this weekend and the tailshafts at the diff end are different. the EA has the XD-F style uni, whereas the EB/D has the flange type, hence why i gotta get another tailshaft as well.

Should be fun once it's done :)

Mick.

·
feed me hey
4,692 Posts
One problem you will run into is the bushes on your lower trailing arms will need to be changed. If you use the EA arms get EB bushed pressed into the diff side of the trailing arm. And vice versa - EB arms need EA bushed on the body side. My suggestion is to get a set of arms from somewhere and have the correct bushes replaced so you don't run into problems when you change the diff.

·
Banned
3,104 Posts
Pin 30 is the selector signal, pin 46 is signal return. You want to bridge a resistor across these two without cutting them.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I've just done my swap with my diff with the 3.27:1 LSD in the EA. You definately have eto change the lower control arms as the EB is wider, where to EA is narrower, just like its been mentioned above.

Other than that it was a 2 day job really, as i took my time. But it boots hard now.

Just remember you also have to get the correct speedo drive as my 2.92:1 speedo drive puts the speedo 10km/h faster than what it should.

·
SE QLD SVO OPERATIONS
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah, I got mine all done! just a funny bit of idle'in now and then.

apart from that it goes so much better, using the 3.08.1 diff that was in my ed, and the ed auto tail shaft.

Have noticed the speedo is out by about 10kph... has anyone found a way to correct that?

Oh, btw: anyone want to buy a BTR 4speed auto? :)

·
SE QLD SVO OPERATIONS
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
okay, going to try the res. fix on the ECU today, will let everyone know how it goes!

·
SE QLD SVO OPERATIONS
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
just before I do this, did you ever find out, how many watts the res should be?

·
Banned
3,104 Posts
Umm 1/4 watt good point *looks sheepish*

So in the end you used the original tailshaft? Swap the speedo senders between the boxes then, that'll fix the speedo :p

1 - 20 of 24 Posts