Votes: 0 0.0%
  • More than 2qts

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious if anyone might wanna have a serious guesstimate of how many quarts or ounces over the full level on my dipstick this could be?? Just had the oil changed. The shop that always takes my car in has been a nightmare...
2013 Ford Edge SEL AWD
3.5L, 6 cyl, 6 quart oil capacity
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Rim Automotive exterior

I have had to replace my rear calipers twice within 18k miles. The second replacement is when the shop calls and asks me what kind of brake fluid I put in my car and where we put it. I have never had to put any in and I know exactly where it goes if it did need it. The shop then tells me (after putting my parts in) that I should sell the car ASAP because they see swelling on the rubber of the reservoir cap, which could indicate that the wrong type of fluid was or is in the brake fluid reservoir. If that happened then I could have instant brake failure at the wrong time with my family in the car.
Tried to say we put power steering fluid in there and I swore up and down it wasn't possible. I ask for the owner and then there is a shift in attitude and that my car is probably just fine and that there isn't anything wrong.
The oil was changed as well.
Mind you I should have checked it. But I figured they have never messed these up so far, so I didn't check it for a couple of weeks.
Needless to say, I disputed it with the owner of the shop and he replaced every rubber component in my car's brake system out of his pockets. I finally get the car back.... Brake pedal goes all the way to the floor and I take it back in.
A week later...
My front right caliper fails and they claim it was a defective one that was just leaking fluid out like a Sieve.
Get my car back.
A week later...
Check my oil level and fluid levels before taking a trip.
The oil on my dipstick has always been on point. EVERY TIME. No leaks, nothing.
Now it's extremely high up past the MAX dot.
Bring it back in because I won't dare give them the satisfaction of saying we ever did anything to the car or take it somewhere else and have them lay blame on them in case my brakes system ends up failing AGAIN and then have thousands pour out of my pockets.
I show them the video of us taking the dipstick out to show the level it's reading from sitting all night and hasn't been started. He says it doesn't look like much, but they'll check it out.
The shop claims they would check it. They had it all day, no word. I call, they tell me they don't know what's going on because they haven't checked it or got it back there yet, but it can't be that bad because there's probably just 2 CUPS extra (16oz) and no more. It's not a big deal.
I asked him how would he know that if he didn't check it out and only saw my video and that it was a big deal to have any amount over in my vehicle because I didn't pay them to put too much in there and I don't want to see any damage done to my vehicle as a result from that.... Just infuriating and I'm stuck in a pickle because of my brakes situation and not in the position to get rid of a vehicle that's paid off for a car payment.
I'm not completely stupid about vehicles and their components, but I'm definitely not an expert or mechanic.

·
Administrator
8,671 Posts
I would say 1.5 qts over if I had to guess. You figure the bottom hole to the top hole in the dipstick is about a quart. Judging by the darker oil at the bottom of the stick appears they didn't drain all the oil. I would take it somewhere else and have it changed ASAP for peace of mind.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would say 1.5 qts over if I had to guess. You figure the bottom hole to the top hole in the dipstick is about a quart. Judging by the darker oil at the bottom of the stick appears they didn't drain all the oil. I would take it somewhere else and have it changed ASAP for peace of mind.

Thanks for the reply. I posted below the color. There wasn't any distortion as far as lighting to alter what we saw to what you see in the photo.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts