Ford Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1969 F100
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help with the routing of the vacuum lines to the distributor on my 1969 F100 240hp standard transmission 2 wheel drive one barrel carb.
There are three vacuum supply points. One on the intake manifold, one on the base of the carb. and one higher up on the carb.
The distributor has two vacuum chambers. One hose outlet pointing up nearest the distributor and one outlet pointing straight away from the distributor on the very end.
I sure do need help with this.
Thanks,
Russell

·
Super Moderator
22,221 Posts
See if the diagram in this link helps,

·
Registered
1969 F100
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks R.S.Logan. I gathered from a couple of the replies that the farthest chamber from the distributor is the advance but it isn’t clear which outlet at the manifold should be used, the one on the manifold or the highest one on the carb. I think the highest one is referred to as “ported/timed”.
If I connect the hose to the manifold outlet and then to the chamber farthest from the distributor the engine struggles to even run.
I guess I’ll try combinations of all of them and use a timing light to see what happens.
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
22,221 Posts
Sounds as if the engine may be struggling possibly due to being retarded too far for whatever reason .I would check the advance / retard movement and check timing with strobe light . Not sure what the timing settings are but on a lot of the older vehicles it was set up with the vac disconnected / plugged .If not , it threw the timing way out . There is some good info on the other pages on the link that might help you .

·
Registered
1969 F100
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the points dwell set at 38 degrees and the timing is on 6 degrees with vacuum disconnected. That info came from a shop manual which is no longer available to me unfortunately.
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
22,221 Posts
Try setting the dwell at 26 and then the timing at 6 btdc and see if any improvement .Make sure there is no excessive movement in dist shaft

·
Registered
1969 F100
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay, worth a try. I’ll post back when I’m where I can do it. Like you say, never give up.
Thanks

·
Registered
1969 F100
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
R.S.Logan, I decreased the dwell to 26 and kept the timing at 6 deg. But no help. Still very ragged, hardly runs. I tried using the manifold vacuum port, the carb. port below the throttle plate and the port above the plate all with the retard vacuum chamber on the distributor inactive. Results was varying degrees of rough running.

·
Super Moderator
22,221 Posts
Tried temp blanking the hoses individually or all ?.Definitely vac related ? Don't know history or what has already been checked , if running o.k previously . Firing order ok and cyl compressions , fuel filter , plug wires ? No blued contacts indicative of condenser failure ?

·
Registered
1969 F100
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tried temp blanking the hoses individually or all ?.Definitely vac related ? Don't know history or what has already been checked , if running o.k previously . Firing order ok and cyl compressions , fuel filter , plug wires ? No blued contacts indicative of condenser failure ?
The erratic running started rather suddenly and got worse soon after. It has been running fine prior to this. My first thought was the ignition coil. I replaced that but no positive affect. I then turned to the distributor and that’s where I am now of course. The plugs, wires and distributor are about 10 years old. I have determined that the engine runs fine only with all vacuum disconnected from the distributor. I’ve been concentrating on the advance portion of the distributor but maybe I need to look closer at the retard. As I understand there are springs inside the vacuum chambers of the distributor so that’s where I’m going next. I’m trying not to keep throwing money at it, I’ve got more time than money.
This truck is not driven regularly.

·
Super Moderator
9,477 Posts
How do the plugs and wires look? Particularly the plugs.

·
Registered
1969 F100
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wires and plugs are about five years old. Just inspected the plugs and they all are indicating a good color burn.
It runs fine until I connect vacuum to the distributor. Each component can affect the other components but I’m trying everything one at the time.
Thanks for the response.

·
Super Moderator
22,221 Posts
Not forgot about your problem and have been discussing with our Admin JWKO off the forum possible causes to help you .He raised what I thought was a good suggestion , could it be a faulty crank sensor / wiring which is sending the wrong info to the ECU in regard to ignition timing and throwing out settings ?

·
Registered
1969 F100
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks a bunch for your efforts to help me but keep in mind that this truck was manufactured in 1969.

·
Registered
1969 F100
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Not necessary. With the technology as advanced as it is today there are loads of retro’s on the market and a lot of gear heads just don’t know when to stop! 😃

·
Super Moderator
22,221 Posts
Just an aside , this post brought back memories of my first car , an old Ford with vacuum operated wiper . When you stood on the accelerator the wiper would stop , till you eased back . Fun and games when it was raining cats and dogs and you tried to overtake .

1 - 17 of 17 Posts