Ford Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Looking in YOUR bathroom.
3,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well in tracking down starting/running problems with my EA (EL engine) ive delved into the dizzy.

When installed am i correct that the engine should be at TDC (Cyl 1 comp stroke) and the dizzy should have the rotor pointing to Cylinder 1 on the cap?

On the dissy, below the rotor button, there are the words, START and FINNISH. Start is located where cylinder 5 (2nd cylinder to fire) is and Finnish is where cylinder 1 is. Should the rottor be pointing to start or where cyl 1 is?

im just tripple checking

Cheers

Daniel

·
BA'o'Matic 100% working.
3,838 Posts
Compression and pointing to cylnder one to fire it, then next 5 (i think) goes to compresion and it points there, and so on.

Drop rmyers a PM - he just had the same delima getting is EA to run as well.

Jason

·
Looking in YOUR bathroom.
3,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just as i thaught. Cheers guys.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Just a little tip if you like to try, set the crank at the 10deg btdc when putting the dizzy in, then you will have the base timing almost spot on.

·
feed me hey
4,692 Posts
Theres actually a notch on the case of the dizzy (under the black plastic base). If you line up that notch with the line on the rotor and have the engine on exact TDC the timing will be almost right. You have to take the rotor and plastic base off to see the notch in the alloy.

·
Hanging Around
1,209 Posts
correct,

just for future reference with the start and finish marks:

Set engine to 10* BTDC,

with dizzy out, line up the rotor with the start mark,
drop the dizzy in, and if the oil pump drive lines up, then it should drop all the way in, and as it does, the shaft will turn, causing the rotor to point to the finish line - which is #1 post.

If the oil pump drive doesnt line up, keep a bit of pressure on the dizzy, and turn the engine by hand, or if its in the car, give the key a lil flick (making sure coil is disconnected of course)

·
Super Moderator
3,734 Posts
Start is where you line in up the dizzie as you start putting it in its hole at 60 degrees to a line drawn through the length of the car (edge of head). Finish is where as the dizzie twist as you push it in it ends up at 60 degrees to that virtual line parellel to the head edge. Hope that helps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts