Ford Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I tell whether my block uses a 1 or 2 piece rear main seal? It's a 351W block, casting D6AE. Not entirely sure what year vehicle it came from (I was told 86 Crown Vic, but Im not sure) I have it all dismantled ... can I tell by looking at the block or main cap?

·
slikxb
220 Posts
If it's an 86 it'll have a 2 piece main seal (late), but it doesn't matter as they're interchangeable, I'm pretty sure you'll only be able to find a gasket set with a 2 piece main seal, as the 1 piece has become obsolete.
You may be able to get (a) a rope type seal - 1 piece
(b) a rubber type seal - 2 piece
The mains cap that holds the seal has a spike in it that sticks into the rope type seal to stop it spinning with the crank , if using a rubber seal (which is probably the only one u can get) youv'e gotta take this spike out so it doesn't puncture the rubber. You just tap it out with a punch, grind the spiky bit off, and knock the rest (dowel) back into the cap to fill the hole. That's what I did to my 351W years ago with no probs.

B

·
0 Posts
D6 is around 1976. If the block and cap has a groove in both NEAR the outer edge of the block then it's 2 piece if it has a large machined step to suit a rubberised 'push in when assembled' hydroelastic type seal then its 1 piece, also crank will have slash cut grooves in it for 2 piece seal and smooth finish for 1 piece

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
4 Participants
blue66coupe
Ford Forums
Ford Forum is a community to discuss all things Ford. Check out our discussions on the Ford Escape, Mustang, Edge, F-150, Raptor, Explorer, Focus, Fusion, Fiesta and more!
Full Forum Listing