Ford Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just want to replace my tired tie-rod dust boots to get a leak-proof lube job. Bought the boots, bought a tie-rod puller tool, tried to separate the drag-link first, but the tool deformed my tie-rod stud! It just won't budge!! Why is it so hard to disconnect these things? Am I doing something wrong?> Also, seems like I need to remove my front rotors and rotor shield plate in order to allow the puller tool to get a good vertical grip on the tie-rods near the wheels. HELP, I want to do this myself $$$. THANKS

· Registered
230 Posts
Unregistered said:
I just want to replace my tired tie-rod dust boots to get a leak-proof lube job. Bought the boots, bought a tie-rod puller tool, tried to separate the drag-link first, but the tool deformed my tie-rod stud! It just won't budge!! Why is it so hard to disconnect these things? Am I doing something wrong?> Also, seems like I need to remove my front rotors and rotor shield plate in order to allow the puller tool to get a good vertical grip on the tie-rods near the wheels. HELP, I want to do this myself $$$. THANKS
There's only one tool that works on tie rod ends, a ****ing big hammer! The TR ends are a tapered fit & very hard to remove. Back off the nut that holds the TR end to the drag link but leave it on loosely. Then with the FB hammer, hit the drag link where the TR end goes through. You need to shock the TR end out of the taper & it may take a few real heavy hits to free it. Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.