Ford Forums banner

Does V8 Supercar require more rounds

• No Avesco have it spot on

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Yes - more Aussie Rounds lose the internationals

Votes: 15 36.6%
  • Yes - Keep the the o/seas rounds but one in every Aussie State

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • Yes - at least one in every Aussie state and at least 2 in NZ plus as many o/seas rounds as practica

Votes: 16 39.0%
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Ingall Fan
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After seening that China is a go if the track is done, NZ wants another round and we want philip island back does avesco need to make the championship longer. The demand for the supercars is more and more every season and with more international rounds to come do we wand to loose rounds in australia or for the chanpionship to grow.

we need a longer championship with more rounds weather the Team bosses like it or not and personally i quite like the sound of a 16 round championship :angel:

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm with you. 16 rounds has a good ring to it. The "off season" just seems to be soooo long, particularly after the huge finish to last season (whether it was considered good or bad it certainly put V8 Supercars on the nightly news and daily papers for a week).

Hell even Rugby League kicks off with the Sevens next week.

I'm one that is against further growth overseas until such time as we get more events in our own backyards. I've been spoilt with 2 events at the Creek, Oran Park and Bathurst but I feel for those in Vic and Tassie. Mind you the events they add in these states need to be up to scratch with what some of the other states are offering (eg Adelaide, Indy and the last round of Eastern Creek (ignoring overpriced food and drink that didn't enjoy any price reduction!).

It confuses me when Team Bosses always seem to be on about cost and time allowed between events etc but how come they manage to finish the endo's (particularly Bathurst) and then appear on the Gold Coast two weeks later and then off to NZ two weeks after that - that timing just doesn't make sense to me when at other times during the year there is sometimes up to 4 weeks between events.

·
Just give me an excuse...
3,949 Posts
hell yeah i want more rounds...one in each state (incl tassy for the avesco chiefs who think tassy is on its own) and an overseas one, just to promote the sport more. But then again can all the teams afford to keep running longer and travel costs could be a questionable variable.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I think there should be a round every two weeks, cause sometimes between rounds it could be as long as one month to 5 weeks and for us fans thats to long.

They need more street races, another round at NZ and a round in Tassie

·
its interesting that people dont mind a round or two in NZ, but an international round is not so rosey, i would be fine with international rounds if commodores and more importantly falcons were sold there but at the moment i dont see any point in going to china with not a one Falcon or Commodore driving the streets of china ( if there is correct me)

·
Registered
85 Posts
I think its ok to goto NZ cause alot of V8 Supercar drivers come from NZ (eg Greg Murphy, Paul Radisich, Simon Wills, Jason Riachards, and even Ross and Jimmy Stone), also there is a Team Kiwi V8 Supercar Team, so i think its only right that they go over to NZ to entertain their fans.

But going to China, theres really no point i mean we dont have any Chinese teams or drivers or sponsors. Going to China would be a waste of a round in that respect. But China is the least of over worries cause AVESCO has shown interest in the Middle East (especially in Dubai), South Africa and South-East Asia and very recently the US.

First they need to have at lesat one round in every state and territory (yes that includes Tasmania and ACT) and at least one round on both NZ Islands, before AVESCO should start looking overseas for some venues.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
China should be scrapped end of story.

One more round in NZ and 2-3 more for Aussie.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Yes most definately more rounds! More the better especially if they are in Oz and NZ.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Scrap China and one of the Eastern Creek rounds.

Bring back Philip Island, Get something happening in Tassie and a race on the NZ South Island.

What needs to be done with PI, what was the issue there? Some of the things I've heard don't add up. Was there some dirty politics between the circuit owners and AVESCO? Maybe PI can be run as round 1 in Feb to avoid the shitty weather and kick of the motor racing season nice and early.

Is Symonds Plains in Tassie viable? What would it take to bring this circuit up to scratch?

And a final thought, why not make Albert Park a full championship round? A 150km race on Saturday and another on Sunday morning, when there is no F1 track time. I know the support race pit facilities aren't brilliant but it can still be done. It won't impinge on F1 and give some more good track action. Lets face it, who gives a shit about overpriveliged twats and b-grade celebs chucking mini's into the circuit walls??

·
2,922 Posts
I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet, but with CART announcing it has filed for bankruptcy, what will happen to the Indy 300 round? Assuming the company that wants to buy out CART doesn't get it together in time, or fails altogether, what do we think will happen to the Gold Coast race?

If I remember rightly, it was counted in the championship last year, so it was more than just a support race.

Any thoughts?

Tim!

·
3FB's Peter Pan!!!
777 Posts
Okay I might get flamed for this but does everybody (anybody) know what the A in AVESCO means?? Thats right AUSTRALIAN! Im all for more rounds here in Aus but stuff the rest except NZ (were practically one country now with a two hour difference). China might be where the money is but where are the fans? Cochrane goes on about the costs need to be kept down so control tyre this control suspension that gets banted around (and they obviously improve racing as well) but then they go and book a round on the other side of the world? Who is he kidding??

/2Cents
/Rant

·
Fully Sick Magna Driver
625 Posts
Why cant they finish the season off with BAthurst? I think it would be great to have Bathurst as final round.

·
Can't wait for Winton...
2,759 Posts
I don’t see why more rounds are not possible, look at Nascar where there is a race virtually every week. More races would bring more exposure so sponsors would benefit, bringing more money into the sport.

·
Can't wait for Winton...
2,759 Posts
There was a story earlier that this might be the last year for the Schlesser buggies, and a comment from J-L that the rules need to be changed to allow the 2wd vehicles to be more competitive as they couldn’t get near the Mitsu’s – mind you no-one else could either so I don’t know if that argument will have much weight. Apparently J-L has had approaches from other teams to join them in the future.

Also Colin McCrae won the final (short) stage into Dakar, his second stage win.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts